PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

orchidfan
Fri, Sep-26-03, 09:58
I have been doing LC since the end of April. I did Atkins for the first 4 months, and then tried doing CAD for two weeks in late August/early Sept. I enjoyed it, lost 2.5 pounds, but was hungry at times, but frustrated with the slower weight loss. So after two weeks I switched back to Atkins. The reality was I wanted to lose faster to make it under 200 by my birthday, Nov. 4th. Not going happen now. I have thought for awhile once I get closer to my goal I would switch to CAD since CAD is more liveable plan for life. But I have some impatience to lose the weight.

I test moderate on the CA tests I have taken. I have PCOS so I do have insulin resistance. My biggest Carb addiction was sugar soda. Always was sleepy in the afternoon. I feel like I woke up for a 10 year sleep once I gave up carbs. But since I have been doing low carbs for 5 months, I have hard time remembering before. I don't cheat or go on carb binges.

Starting early Sept. when our five kids all went to school, I joined Curves and started playing on a womens over 30 soccer team a couple times a week. So I am getting much more excercise and one would think I would lose weight faster.

Since being back on Atkins for almost 3 weeks...I lost 2 pounds the first week, gained 4 the second and down 2 of the 4 I gained for the past 10 days. The reality is in 3 weeks, I have net lost zero. I'm doing Atkins correctly...in ketosis and gaining weight or staying the same...grrr. I have almost no desire to eat and lately have been eatting only twice a day. I haven't lost inches which I had hoped from working out and getting more excercise. I weigh the same as I did 9/1 even though I am doing so much right.

It puzzles me that for the first 10 weeks I lost 2.6 pounds a week, the next 6 or 8 I averaged 1.6 (that is when I started walking), now since I returned from our summer vacation August 8th, I have lost only about 5 pounds in 7 weeks...when now I am getting more excercise and getting fit. How can it be when I am doing more of the program correctly my weight loss slows down so much? I could understand the slow down in weight loss if I was close to my goal weight, but I still have 60 pounds or more to lose. Before this time, I had only gained one week and stayed the same another week, so my weight loss was pretty steady.

Anyone have any suggestions? Ideas? experiences to share? Was switching back to Atkins a bad choice? Should I try CAD again? Is 2 weeks or a month a fair try at doing CAD?

You guys were great and so kind when I asked questions before. I was hoping someone could help me understand what is going on and help me feel not so frustrated.

Thanks for any input!!

Vel
Fri, Sep-26-03, 10:08
I personally don't feel that 2 weeks is a fair trial of CAD, especially when coming right off Atkins. That isn't much time to give your body to adjust to the new structuring of carbs. As well, many people make some mistakes when they first start CAD, often doing it just like Atkins only with a reward meal, and that is not true CAD at all.

It's up to you to decide if you should give it another chance or not, but if you do, the CAD bunch will be here to offer support :)

Take care,
Tracy

IthinkIcan
Fri, Sep-26-03, 10:48
Hi :wave:

I'm one of the "transfers" (hahaha) from Atkins to CAD. Today is day 11 for me and so far so good. I wanted to share with you some of my own experience w/o sounding like a head Dr and crap. I think the first thing to address is that there are two major scientific differences in programs. Atkins is based on a body losing weight due to ketosis. CAD is based on controlling insulin levels. I personally went to CAD because of these differences in plans. I kinda done the same thing you done, weight gain on Atkins for no reason whatsoever. But in addition to that, I was very sick my last week on it. All the research I done, all pointed to that my body must be producing excess insulin. That's why I chose CAD. Gosh, beyond that its really hard to put this all in words. On day two of CAD, I had like this concept, this reality hit me in the face. I realized I had been wanting to have such dramatic, fast results. I hadn't approached changing my woe with much more in mind than quickly dropping all this extra weight. After reading journals and seeing myself in these people, and allowing myself to just plain be honest with myself, I realized I wanted more for me than just a new body. 2 days of CAD showed me a freedom from food unlike any I've ever known. I found that I was more elated about that as I was about the scales moving. I can honestly say from the bottom of my heart right now, that I could eat this way and never lose another pound and yet feel good about myself. I know however, that the weight does come off and its a very good thing. Its almost like losing weight for me is just a bonus now ....my God, just typing that is so strange. But its the truth.
Anyway...that's my experience. Everyone has one. I hope that you find what "clicks" for you. I also checked out every single low-carb book, diet I could find and read about each one. I felt that controlling my carbs in some way was the answer, just how, when and how much. So I'd suggest research and more research. In the meantime, couldn't hurt to follow CAD for a month while you read :)

Divina99
Fri, Sep-26-03, 11:16
Hi orchidfan :wave:

I know it can get frustrating especially when you set goals and feel like you'll never reach them.

I make goals for myself but, also take in a count many factors...like stalls (plateaus), TOM, water retention, meds etc.

You must look at the postitive side...you are losing inches..that is a great sign. Remember when you exercise you create more muscles thus you may not notice your weight going down on the scale. Also 1-2lbs a week is a healthy amount to lose. I'd rather lose 1/2, 1 or 2lbs a week than none at all. I would also rather lose inches than lbs!

It looks like you are doing everything right...just allow yourself more time. Enjoy your diet whichever works for you best..either CAD or Atkins.

I also wanted to reach goal weight in August..being my birthday. I was a bit disappointed..but, I had to remind myself..this is not a race to the finish line...its about living healthy..as stressfree as possible..having fun with my children...losing weight is the added bonus. CAD for me is so freeing...it's another great benefit as I am no longer tied down to thoughts of food and constant hunger.

You are doing great..you are making healthy decisions...exercising and LCing...weight loss does slow down..as your body adjusts everytime you reach a new weight and also as you get closer to goal. This also gives time for your skin to adjust...you don't want baggy skin hanging off ya after a fast weight loss? :)

Like Val said give CAD some time.

Here is a little extra motivation

http://pages.ivillage.com/carbaddicts/advice/onepound.htm

Did I mention the CADers here are terrific support? :lol:

Valkyrie
Sat, Sep-27-03, 10:29
I found these posts extremely interesting. They also made me stop and think. I too have been following low carb, Atkins and Bernstein, for quite some time and I slipped into CALP a bit too complaicently I think. Reading these posts has made me evaluate and I think I too have fallen into the trap of eating Atkins with a reward meal or even worse, skipping the reward meal and doing three Atkins meals.

So I am going to go back to the book and read it through carefully and try and use some of the meal plans properly to get me into the swing of things. It should help me get into a routine in time for my next diet aid to arrive - my new puppy which I bring home on 23rd October. Now with Josie around I will have absolutely NO excuses for sitting around and not taking my walks. In fact it will mean getting up earlier and taking a walk before breakfast, will walk to work and back and then another long walk in the afternoon and another in the evening. That should help make me fit and get my behind out of the chair!

orchidfan
Sat, Sep-27-03, 11:38
I think I figured out what happened and why I gained weight. After playing soccer for the first time in 20 years, I was quite sore, had over used my quads and started taking lots of ibuprofen...at the prescription dose. Once I stopped taking it my weight loss started up again. I read about over the counter meds. in Atkins and CALP books and reread them again, and found some info. in a different forum.

Now I am going to either use less if I can or expect to gain weight/retain water if I have to take ibuprofen.

Hopefully tomorrow I won't get so sore!