PDA

View Full Version : Normal weight, low carb. PCOS

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Orkidea
Wed, Sep-24-03, 23:53
Is here anyone who is not and has not been over weighted, has PCOS and has been able to relief it's symptoms with low carb diet? I'm asking this because it seems to me that every time someone is telling about her great success with low carb (imporoved fertility, decresed acne and hair growth), she has been previously really overweighted. Is the success because of the weight loss or because of the insulin control achieved by low carbing?

I would love to know low carbing can help with fertility problems and other PCOS issues even when person is not very much overweighted. Any success stories?

Deb13
Thu, Sep-25-03, 08:12
Earlier this year, my thyroid went haywire causing all kinds of hypothyroid problems. It took me 4 doctors to find one who would listen and help me with treatment. Since we are trying to get pregnant and were having trouble, my doc sent me to an obgyn who specialized in infertility and after an ultrasound, discovered my ovaries were covered in cysts. I had never heard of PCOS until this diagnosis.

My doctor put me on Metformin (Glucophage) which helps to stabalize insulin levels. I began reading everything I could on PCOS which led me to the low carb lifestyle (my doctor was thrilled and encouraged me to low carb). I had put on 10 pounds almost overnight this spring due to the thyroid problems and since starting the low carb, have lost 5 pounds. I just had another ultrasound last week and the cysts are really tiny on both ovaries. I know this is due to the combination of the medicine and the change in my diet.

I'm lucky because my husband is very supportive and is following the plan with me. We do splurge once in a while, that's reality. But overall, we feel and look so much better without all the carbs.

Good luck.

Shazzer
Thu, Sep-25-03, 19:10
I was diagnosed with PCOS in 2001 and was put on Metformin. I then lost 20 or so pounds and gained back eight. Since starting low carb, I have not lost any of the eight pounds I want(ed) to lose. But, my blood sugar is completely stable. As long as I stick to high protein and fat, I don't have any of the prior blood sugar problems. Of course, other PCOS problems will never end like excess hair growth. But I'm much relieved to be able to make it through a day without feeling drowsy, shaky, light-headed, cranky, overly hungry, etc.

sourdaisy
Thu, Sep-25-03, 21:18
Low carb is definitely recommend for ALL women with PCOS, regardless of weight. Getting your insulin under control, as well as your testosterone, will greatly alleviate a lot of PCOS symptoms even if you're not overweight. A lot of doctors will also prescribe metformin to all PCOS patients, regardless of weight.

Orkidea
Thu, Sep-25-03, 23:46
You are giving me some hope.

My background is the following: I started Zone diet year and a half ago and was able to lose about 20 pounds in just a few months. I have been on/off Zoner since and was able to keep my ideal weight (120 pounds). Last spring my doctor put me on Clomid because of ovulation problems and now, thanks to that, I'm eight months pregnant (and of course have gained some weight after that). I'm expecting a Christmas baby!

Still this PCOS is worrying me. I would love to be able to lessen my symptoms so I have decreased my carb intake from the zone levels to Atkins maintainance phase levels. I'm hoping I might possibly be able to get my cycle back on track after giving birth and also lessen the PCOS symptoms I hate (acne, hair growth in not so nice places). So after reading your answers I'm sure this is the right way to go - thanks :) .

I live in Finland and here nobody (at least not any doctors) talk about low carb. I think most of the PCOS patients I know have never even heard that low carb diet could be helpful for them. They just try Weight Watchers over and over again or something. I'm so happy that Internet exists and I'm able to find better information by my own.

enkeli
Wed, Sep-14-05, 02:04
I live in Finland and here nobody (at least not any doctors) talk about low carb. I think most of the PCOS patients I know have never even heard that low carb diet could be helpful for them. They just try Weight Watchers over and over again or something. I'm so happy that Internet exists and I'm able to find better information by my own.

Hi Orkidea! I don't know if you are already on the mailing list, but there
is a list for PCOS cysters in Finnish:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/pco_lista/

People often post information there about doctors who have a clue.
Olkinuora in Helsinki is a good doctor, if you're nearby. She's so worth
it that I would even make the trip if it took a couple of hours each way!

-enkeli

tigersue
Thu, Sep-15-05, 10:33
I know I'm not one of those people you are asking about because I'm overweight, but my PCOS started when I was a teenager, when I was just slightly overweight. You must remember that with PCOS it is important to heal the body, which is why LC works. I do The Schwarzbein Principle because her focus is on healing, not just weight loss. I started to heal my body before the weight would come off, I cured my infertility, since I now have a 16 month old, and expecting another next month. I have 2 others a 15 year old, and a soon to be 12 year old. Hair growth can change as hormones level out, it may never be what we want, but it can get lighter, and thinner, less like a mans. Do the best you can, I think you are doing well. I think zone is still too high carb for most PCOS sufferers, the ideas are good, and I started lc, with zone ideas, and low glycemic focuses, but I didn't start to loose until I dropped my carbs to 15 gm/ meal as recommended in TSP 1, That for me is still the best even though she has changed her program many times. Good luck in your journey to find what answers work for you.
Tanya