PDA

View Full Version : Low-Carb Diet Plans Comparison

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

tamarian
Fri, Jul-27-01, 16:48
Comments on the main index page

http://www.lowcarb.ca/atkins-diet-and-low-carb-plans/index.html

tamarian
Fri, Jul-27-01, 16:53
Of course, "Under Construction" means no one volunteered to summerize that plan. Please feel to add what you can.

Feel free, as well, to comment on other plans.

By default, I just added first name, let me know it you prefer any changes to the way your name is displayed, we can link it as well to your forum profile page.

Wa'il

doreen T
Fri, Jul-27-01, 17:20
Wa'il, you are typing almost as fast as I do.. ;)

One diet that I feel is worth mentioning is The Specific Carbohydrate Diet (SCD) by Dr. Elaine Gottschall, PhD. This is not a weight loss program per se ... but rather a diet that eliminates all grains and sugar to help reverse bowel diseases such as Crohn's, Ulcerative Colitis, diverticulitis, Irritable Bowel Syndrome, and others. There are only 2 websites I've seen that deal with this, and from what I can gather, many folks who suffer are following lowcarb programs and message boards to get ideas how to live a sugar- and starch-free life. The diet is higher in carbs from fruits, vegetables, beans/pulses, and nuts ... and advocates the consumption of yogurt, kefir and other live gut-friendly cultures.

I would be happy to create a summary of the SCD - Specific Carbohydrate Diet.

Doreen

tamarian
Fri, Jul-27-01, 17:23
Sounds good Doreen, go for it. I'll add a place holder for it.

Wa'il

Andy Davies
Fri, Jul-27-01, 18:32
Wow, you really know how to move, Wa'il, once you set your mind to something! I'm a bit too close to this to give an objective comment, but I for one am happy about how things are going. The overall aim is beneficial, and current progress is good. I would think it will gather impetus now. Thanks for taking up my suggestion about linking the summary page to the more detailed decriptions - it works just as I'd hoped. I have the feeling initial suggestions were for a summary table, but the paragraphs work very well, and looking at the variety of content already included, it could be difficult to find one table which would adequately cope with all LC plans under scrutiny. I feel I have exhibited myself too much in the past few days, so I'll merge back into the background for a bit now!

tamarian
Fri, Jul-27-01, 18:42
Originally posted by Andy Davies
I feel I have exhibited myself too much in the past few days, so I'll merge back into the background for a bit now!

Nice try Andy, but it will not work! :) This project has your signature and Joe's all over it. Your input is still needed, even some modification to your original entries to match the outline structure.

The table idea is still valid, and can be constructed once we have a streamlined structure to all entries.

In addition, I plan on adding a timeline to the the table, or possibly a 3-d representation. The table my have link to official websites, and whatever we decide it should have. So please stay with us, and continue your generous contribution.

Wa'il

mtnlaurl
Fri, Jul-27-01, 19:41
Wa'il, Joe & Andy;

I went swimming for a few hours and look at what you have created in the interim! I'm IMPRESSED!
This is absolutely fantastic!

A round of applause and pat's on the backs to all involved. In addition, this project is a wonderful testimony for "nations working together" towards a common goal. The U.N. should take lessons from this forum! ;-)

Best Regards;
Sandy

Sharon
Fri, Jul-27-01, 20:38
I agree....how about a standing ovation!!!

Andy Davies
Sat, Jul-28-01, 06:27
Shucks! You sur know how to embarrass people!

Andy Davies
Sat, Jul-28-01, 16:58
O.K. Embarrassment over, I can reply cogently now. Great idea about the timeline, especially if you can pull off your 3-d treatment of it: I can actually visualise the results in my mind's eye. You will need to use lots of different colours. It's great! Yes, of course I'll be around again when needed, but I really do think you need some fresh blood and new input to keep this vibrant and representative of the whole membership. I reckon that when members are browsing around the interim product, and don't find their own favourite LC plan featured, you will get some more summaries. But you also have access to people's registration details and e-mail addresses. Why not drop one or two hints to specific members that summaries are still needed for LC plans they are following. If they are shy about seeing their work in "print" (as if people who post so readily on these boards would be!) then they could send private e-mails to someone else for help in getting down what they want to say.

Nice thought, Sandy, about the United Nations.

Best wishes

tamarian
Sat, Aug-04-01, 12:08
The promised Saturday update is now online:

Please make comments on any page only at the relevant thread (i.e. comments on the Zone plan, should be made in thread title the Zone. Otherwise, I really get lost trying to find the comments and use them for updates. :)

Wa'il

Andy Davies
Sat, Aug-04-01, 18:05
A quick overall comment. I like the differentiated colours (green headings), which stand out nicely. Overall appearance already more polished. By the end of the exercise, it will be very professional.

IslandGirl
Thu, Aug-09-01, 14:33
Dr. Herman Taller 1961/2
"Calories Don't Count" (but I haven't found a copy yet)

I've got a few fascinating and amusing finds from a bookstore in Duluth, Minnesota (yeah!) on my roadtrip, but have to post that from home [grin!].

PS: MacKarness' book title "Eat Fat & Grow Slim", circa 1914!
PPS: Stillman's book title "The Doctor's Quick Weight Loss Diet"

Oy, this is GREAT, Wa'il!

jomil
Thu, Aug-09-01, 15:39
Wa'il, I guess IslandGirl has volunteered to do book reports on the three books that we do not have on the list.

I look forward to reading about these low carb plans that were written before the current rage of LC WOE authors.

Thanks for your imput IslandGirl!

Regards
Joe

tamarian
Thu, Aug-09-01, 15:50
Joe,

Judi's quite busy, so we'll just hold her responsible for these two:

Dr. Herman Taller and Stillman's.

Thanks Judi!

Wa'il

Andy Davies
Thu, Aug-09-01, 16:16
Mackarness's book "Eat Fat and Grow Slim" is the one I have already been quoting. I have nearly finished my re-write of the synopsis. If I already had, you would see that it was originally published in 1958, and updated in 1975. Your instinct was right, Wa'il.

giggles
Fri, Sep-28-01, 22:36
What about Protein Power? That is one I was kind of curious about.

tamarian
Fri, Sep-28-01, 22:54
Originally posted by giggles
What about Protein Power? That is one I was kind of curious about.

No one volunteered to do PP (yet?). Myself, Karen and Doreen can do it, but we are all involved in polishing, proofreading the submitted reviews for publication. Hopefully someone will do it, or one of us well get to it when all the editing is over. :)

Wa'il

Andy Davies
Sat, Sep-29-01, 19:49
Wa'il, what about Natrushka?

She follows the PP plan herself (or knows a lot about it) and I am sure I have read a post of hers in which she has already either done a complete synopsis of it, or a comprehensive summary. It would be worth contacting her to clarify the point. (And I'm getting old, I had a birthday recently, and memory isn't what it was...)

tamarian
Sat, Sep-29-01, 19:56
Originally posted by Andy Davies
Wa'il, what about Natrushka?

I'd be tickled pink, if my skin allowed me! :) Nat and any experienced PP followers are invited to contribute. We simply made the call open, so those who are willing, and have the time or interest to participate, may do so without nagging. :)

Wa'il

Natrushka
Sun, Sep-30-01, 12:46
I will put something together. However, its going to have to wait a bit until i get my PP book by from my friend.... Like many others i've loaned it out after becoming a living example of how successful LCing is :D

Nat

Natrushka
Sat, Oct-20-01, 08:54
I haven't forgotten about his, Wa'il. I just finished PP Lifeplan and I"m full of ideas.... more to come very soon.

Nat

Heeligan2
Sat, Oct-20-01, 21:06
There is "The Ideal Diet for Human Health" by Jan McBride, MD. Published in 2000. Dr. McBride was a general practitioner who developed an understanding and appreciation for low carbohydrate diets in her experience with patients and through research.

She provides a scientific analysis of the metabolic effects of carbohydrates and recommends a maximum of 90 grams of carbs a day. Those carbs that you eat can be any ... including sugar. Her website is very informative as are her book and newsletter.

Here is some information from her web site, http://www.theidealdiet.com

"The IDEAL Diet is not just a low carb diet plan - there are many of these that work very well for various individuals. But the IDEAL DIET is a description of a low carb diet that is in complete harmony with the actual metabolic processes of the human body.

You may already be on a low carb diet that is ideal for you, and can benefit from learning the scientific basis for why this diet works. Or you may still be considering the change to low carb dieting, and may find the specific instructions, charts and foods lists very useful for learning how to obtain the correct carbohydrate, protein and fat ratios for a long-term healthy diet.

With the IDEAL DIET you eat regular food that you buy at the grocery store. And you don't have to give up all fruits, breads, pastas, or even desserts!

Natural foods like fresh meats, fruits and vegetables are definitely the healthiest, but the IDEAL DIET also shows you how to incorporate into your diet the convenient packaged food items, restaurant foods and even fast foods.

There are no complicated formulas for your daily food intake, but there is a complete guide that will take you through a step-by-step process to help you relearn how to choose your foods. A Personal Meal Diary makes it easy for you to monitor your daily intake, to know when you are eating correctly, and when you can have that special treat."

HTH,
H2 http://home.nc.rr.com/marthalee/images/tarheel2.gif

tamarian
Sat, Oct-20-01, 21:19
Welcome aboard Heeligan2,

Have you followed it or read the book? If so, we'd appreciate a breif description in the following format:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=13898

This format should help provide the relevant information to readers, as opposed to publisher's excerpts and/or their promational material.

Thanks for sharing,

Wa'il

r.mines
Sat, Oct-20-01, 21:20
Hmmm, sounds like a good plan for maintenance! I should check it out. Not that I'm there yet - always best to be prepared though!

Rachel

Heeligan2
Sun, Oct-21-01, 14:09
Thanks. Yes, I have read it, although I am following Protein Power. It is a very informative book and the newsletters are good too.
1. Plan's name: Common name of the diet
"The Ideal Diet for Human Health" by Jan McBride, MD.
http://www.theidealdiet.com
2. Date: Original publication dat
3, Basic Philosophy/Strategy: Low-Carb, or 40/30/30 etc.
This can be used in the main index as a summary.
"A low carb diet that is in complete harmony with the actual metabolic processes of the human body."
Maximum 90 carbs per day. No Ketosis. Minimum protein requirements based on weight. No fat restriction.
4. By the numbers: Percentages, phases
See #3.
5. Method: Details of the method, what to eat, what to avoid
Each meal includes protein equal to or greater than carbs. Some foods are recommended over others but none are prohibited.
"There are no complicated formulas for your daily food intake, but there is a complete guide that will take you through a step-by-step process to help you relearn how to choose your foods. A Personal Meal Diary makes it easy for you to monitor your daily intake, to know when you are eating correctly, and when you can have that special treat."
6. Typical menu:
Breakfast: 2 oz turkey breast, 2 oz muenster cheese, 4 oz OJ, coffee = 28 protein, 14 carbs
Lunch: 1/2 cup tuna salad, 8 ritz crackers, sugar free lemonade = 29 protein, 14 carbs
7. Emphasis on: Fat, Sugar, Protein or Exercise
Protein
8. Unique Fatures: Particulars that differ from general low-carb diets
Higher carb allowance; tips for convenience foods, fast foods.
She provides a scientific analysis of the metabolic effects of carbohydrates. She has a monthly newsletter.
9. About the author. Brief bio and credentials.
Medical Doctor. Dr. Jan McBride practiced family medicine for 11 years, during which time she developed an understanding and appreciation for low carbohydrate diets in her experience with patients and through research. Her web site provides a scientific analysis of various low-carb diets and a summary of the "Great Nutrition Debate".

HTH,

friek
Mon, Jul-01-02, 08:59
I just recently ran across this site so I am still catching up on old threads. This one caught my interest because I also recently found the "Ideal Diet for Human Health" website and was curious about it.
I am finding it hard to find any reader/dieter feedback on this book/diet and in fact, this forum thread has been the only place I have found any at all.

Has anyone actually tried this diet or heard more feedback since the last thread post by Heeligan2 (Oct, 2001)?

TIA

Scarlet
Fri, Oct-11-02, 15:38
I would like to do one for The Insulin Resistance Diet. How do I do it?

Karen
Fri, Oct-11-02, 17:46
Hi scarlet!

Here's the style guidline for doing a summary. When it's finished, post it in this thread.

1. Plan's name: Common name of the diet

2. Date: Original publication date

3. Basic Philosophy/Strategy: Low-Carb, or 40/30/30 etc.
This can be used in the main index as a summary.

4. By the numbers: Percentages, phases

5. Method: Details of the method, what to eat, what to avoid

6. Typical menu:

8. Unique Fatures: Particulars that differ from general low-carb diets

9. About the author. Brief bio and credentials.

Karen

suze_c
Fri, Oct-11-02, 20:29
Stillmans was the first LC w/o/e that I had ever been on... and I lost 26# in 4 weeks time. I was going to suggest it, but I see I got beaten to it~ :thup:

suze_c
Sat, Oct-12-02, 03:29
When I first read this thread, I neglected to look at the dates on some of the posts. I see now that the original post on Stillman's was Aug. '01. Being as there isn't a summary on Stillman's, I offer my experiences on it, and also having "consumed" the book, many times over. In Addition, he also wrote, THE DOCTOR'S QUICK INCHES -OFF DIET , in which itself, is not a LC diet, but he recaps in it,the original QWL diet. If IslandGirl is not going to do a summary, would anyone be offended if I wrote one up? I done Stillman's when I was younger, losing 26# in 4 week's time. I will await hearing the reply, before I start my summary.~ thanks~ Oh yeah... reading the summaries on the different plans, is great... to see how different approaches are made on this LC w/o/e. A great idea :thup:

Karen
Sat, Oct-12-02, 09:54
would anyone be offended if I wrote one up?

Nope! Not at all.

Use the guideline above. So it doesn't surprise you, the plan comparisons may be edited for spelling, grammar and a little bit of content.

Do you still have the Stillman book?

Karen

suze_c
Sat, Oct-12-02, 10:42
Karen, I still have BOTH of the books that I mentioned, and one can definitely tell that they have been in my possesion and well read almost 20+ years. I understand that my summary may be edited, though I try to be grammatically correct in my writing such reports,(my 2nd major is Literature/Creative Writing), and I pride myself on my 4.0 g.p.a. in English courses, though it is not always seen in my posts here :lol: Usually my misspellings are more attributed to typos, and I have been called "the Spelling Nazi", due to my correcting others' spelling errors! Anyhow, enough rambling,--I will get to work on the Stillman's summary, as free time and KaeLyn allow, and submit it as soon as I am done with it. Thank you very much for this opportunity.

Scarlet
Sat, Oct-12-02, 14:40
I will write up the review ASAP, probably tomorrow as I have quite a few things to do all together.

Cheers!

Scarlet
Sun, Oct-13-02, 15:41
:mad: I just spent about 40 mins doing a detailed summary , all nice checking for spelling etc. Naturally, I didn't hit copy so when pressed send my computer decided to disconnect to the internet. Now I have lost everything and it is midnight here!

AAAAAAAAAAGH!

Scarlet mutters unprintable swear words :bash:

Scarlet
Tue, Oct-15-02, 09:10
1. Plan's name: The Insulin Resistance Diet

2. Date: 2001

3. Basic Philosophy/Strategy:

According to the authors, it is not carbohydrates that cause weight gain, but lack of protein and an excess of carbohydrates consumed in one sitting. Therefore, the authors recommend that carbs and protein be consumed in the ratio of 15g:7g. The maximum amount of carbohydrate allowed per meal or snack is 30g, and this must be balanced with at least 14g of protein. This concept is referred to as "linking and balancing" in that all carbs are linked with protein and balanced in this specific ratio.

The authors endorse the low fat hypothesis, so the plan dictates that low fat protein such as poultry, fish and low fat dairy products be used mainly as protein sources. Red meat can only be consumed 2 or 3 times a week. Only 3 eggs can consumed per week, but I would wager this will be changed to 7 eggs in the next edition due to recent study results. The plan counts beans and milk as proteins.

All vegetables with the exception of corn and potatoes can be eaten freely on the diet. Avocados and olives must be limited however due to their high fat content. Apples, cherries, peaches, plums and grapefruit do not need to be linked and balanced with protein, but are confined to no more than a half cup serving every 2 to 3 hours.

No more than 32g of carbs may be consumed within 2 hours. If one consumes more than this then the excess is stored as fat. This concept is known as the 2 hour fat window. Protein, however can be eaten at any time

Exercise is strongly endorsed

Critical of ketogenic diets, citing patients who have become ill (!!)

4. By the numbers:

Fat: 25% Protein:30% Carbohydrate:45%

Fats and Oils: Keep fats to a minimum, include some good fats

High-Carbohydrate Foods :Eat no more than 2 servings at any one time. Eat at least 2 fruits servings daily

High-Protein Foods: Eat at least 8 servings a day. Include 2 to 5 servings of dairy foods

Vegetables: Consume Freely, but eat at least 3 servings a day

5. Method: see no. 3

6. Typical menu:

Bfast:egg on toast, yogurt with cereal, milk with cereal

Lunch: Sandwhich with meat and low fat cheese, grilled chicken salad , beef soup with a potato

Dinner: Lean meat with a potato and vegetables, lentil pilaf with low fat cheese, pasta with meatballs and a green salad

7. Emphasis on: Fat and Protein. Can be difficult to find low fat protein sources if you do not wish to include milk and beans as true protein sources.

8. Unique Features: Resembles a diabetic diet. No foods are banned which makes this plan very livable. Suitable for vegatarians. Treats are reccomended up to 2 or 3 times a week. This may lead ppl down the slippery slope if they "treat" themselves to foods they are actually addicted to such as sugar.

May not work for those who are very sensitive to carbohydrates. Proscribes to the low fat theory, so is more likely to be accepted by the mainstram medical establishment.

9. About the authors

Cheryle R. Hart. M.D. is the founder of the Wellness Workshop, a medical weight-loss clinic in Washington. She was the associate clinical professor of medicine at the Mayo Clinic and the University of Washington Medical School. She specialises in bariatrics. Her clinic address the four main aspects of what she considers to be successful weight management: medical, nutritional, fitness education and emotional support.

Mary kay Grossman, R.D.

She is the nutritional adviser for the Wellness Workshop. Discovered that she too suffered from Insulin Resistance when she began to formulate menus and plans for her patients. This plan enabled her to finally lose weight seven years after the birth of her child.

Overall, this is a good plan, but I disagree with the authors somewhat (madeup?) scaremongering attitude towards ketegonic dieting.

Sorry about the spelling mistakes etc. I think the first attempt was better.

Scarlet
Fri, Nov-01-02, 16:14
Oops! Just realised the number section is wrong! It should say:

Fat: 25% Protein:30% Carbohydrate:45%

Karen
Fri, Nov-01-02, 19:23
Thanks Scarlet!

Wa'il will put it in the right place when he's got a moment.

Karen

scthgharpy
Tue, Jul-22-03, 01:14
Id liek to see all these plans on a spreadsheet, so one could easily compare and constrast. Has this already been built?

pattie
Thu, Jul-24-03, 07:05
Hello from Germany
I just wanted to give everyone a big :clap:
Your information is a big help. I can compare without having to buy a book(this is not so easy even with amazon) . It is all so very professional and informative.
Once agin Thanks!!

You all have done a great job!! :cheer: :hyper: :cheer:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I often dream of the future as that is were I will spend the rest of my life.

Patiie

Techgrowth
Tue, Nov-04-03, 14:00
I just joined this forum and did not see my diet listed...?

I have choosen SouthBeach, based on the book, it is very similar to Adkins but less strict. I thought it would be an easier one for me to stick to. I would be happy to write a short summary if you wanted to add it.

doreen T
Tue, Nov-04-03, 14:36
I just joined this forum and did not see my diet listed...?

I have choosen SouthBeach, based on the book, it is very similar to Adkins but less strict. I thought it would be an easier one for me to stick to. I would be happy to write a short summary if you wanted to add it.
hello,

South Beach is not a low-carb diet. The author states this clearly on page 3, the first sentence of Chapter One. Some members have reviewed the book and have posted their comments, here (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=139847) in our General Low-Carb forum.

Doreen

Techgrowth
Tue, Nov-04-03, 15:46
Well Doreen I appreciate you pointing that out to me now. Being new to my diet I was searching for support online and this seems like it is NOT the place for me now.

I don't want any of those negative comments detering me from my weight loss goals. I have been on Atkins and BFL in the past, I chose SouthBeach because it is slightly less strict then those.

Thanks

doreen T
Tue, Nov-04-03, 16:29
hello again,

You're certainly welcome to explore our forums to read more about low-carb high-fat diets :rose:. If you're looking for specific support about South Beach, there is a message board at prevention.com (http://forums.prevention.com/forum.jsp?forum=40) devoted to SBD that you may find helpful.

Good luck to you on your chosen program!

Doreen

Gaelen
Sat, Dec-27-03, 20:04
South Beach is not a low-carb diet. The author states this clearly on page 3, the first sentence of Chapter One.Doreen

Doreen, while Dr. Agatston (the author) may insist in his book that his diet plan isn't low carb--yeah, he insists that in interviews on TV, too--the numbers for SBD menus and the little magazines put out by Agatston's publisher, Rodale, tell a different story. I worked out the nutrient ranges on a sample two week set of menus for a friend doing SBD, and he was shocked to see that the phase one menus he gave me averaged 35-45 ECC or net carbs per day.

This month's "Prevention Guide to Weight Loss" spotlights SBD (again), and this is how Rodale explains it's latest rising star in the diet world:
"*Phase I: You'll eat three meals and three snacks ... made up of a lean protein and vegetable, and snacks ... typically a part-skim mozzarella cheese stick, cottage cheese or pistachio nuts. No fruit or starches ... are allowed in Phase I.
(foods to avoid include all starches, all dairy (keeps out all the hidden carbs!), all fruits, all fatty meats, all veggies except the cruciferous and the greens families.)
"*Phase II: After the first 14 days, you'll gradually reintroduce healthy carbs...You'll stay on this phase until you lose all the weight you want.
(foods to avoid in this phase include refined starches and breads, rice, beets, carrots, corn, potatoes, bananas, fruit juices and canned fruit, pineapple, raisins, watermelon, honey, ice cream and jam).
"*Phase III: Once you've reached your goal weight, this is how you'll be eating for the rest of your life. ... Anytime you start to overindulge or regain some weight, you can switch back to Phase I for a week or two."

Phase I--ah, yes, that would be the part where you're not allowed to eat *any* carbs. :)

Seriously, Agatston (or Rodale, it's hard to tell which) has positioned SBD from a marketing spot where it can be attractive to people who want to try low carb without feeling like they're also forsaking the low fat eating habits they've learned over the years. But bottom line, if you look past the marketing ploy and actually count the days up in some tracking software, SBD is a low carb diet in Phase I, and a low carb diet in Phase II.

Unfortunately, Agatston also tries to restrict fats, and advocates using processed (low fat) foods over less processed (and lower carb) foods. There are also some disturbing inaccuracies about fats in SBD (the misinformation about coconut oil being bad for heart health is especially glaring.) And the recommendation that "if you gain weight, just go back to Phase I for a week or two"--well, I do wonder if the good doctor is familiar with the concepts of yo-yo dieting, insulin resistance and "The Golden Shot Syndrome." It may not be the low carb plan I'd choose, but if it walks like a duck and it quacks like a duck...well, you know the rest. :)

kms
Sat, Feb-21-04, 07:29
Comments on the main index page

:nono: Where is South Beach???

Kathy S. (kms)

tamarian
Sat, Feb-21-04, 07:36
:nono: Where is South Beach???

Kathy S. (kms)

No one yet voluntered to write about it.

Wa'il

Monika4
Tue, Apr-13-04, 16:51
Doreen, I am willing to volunteer to summarize the South Beach philosophy for the forum. It has helped me a lot initially, and while I am not an expert on all the other plans and thus can only compare to Atkins, I do know SBD philosophy and principles.

Are you still interested in a review like the other ones? Monika

tamarian
Sat, May-08-04, 15:49
Thanks Minika4, well done :thup:

It's now online:

http://www.lowcarb.ca/atkins-diet-and-low-carb-plans/south-beach-diet.html

Wa'il

JennyH
Sun, Jul-18-04, 13:57
The LC than my husband and I are following is by Dr CV Clark.

A quote from the blurb on the back cover, " Dr Charles Clark is an international authority on glaucoma and diabetes. He is a fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh and a Professor at Griffith University, Queensland, Australia".

After looking him up on the Internet, he seems to have a great many followers and success stories. He is currently a physician in Harley Street, London.

I have not read many other LC diet books, but have used carb-counters from some books as his list is not very comprehensive. His advice on the does and don'ts is very comprehensive however and easy to understand. One of the criticisms on his site from of the LC'ers was that there was not enough variety in the actual diet for vegetarians!

I have no idea if this is the information you require - pse get back to me if you need anything else.

:)

dstartz
Sun, Dec-25-05, 22:52
I'd love to see Somersizing listed. :wave:(raising my hand to volunteer)

tamarian
Sun, Dec-25-05, 23:16
I'd love to see Somersizing listed. :wave:(raising my hand to volunteer)

By all means, we'd love that. Here's the template we use:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showpost.php?p=116239&postcount=2

Wa'il

dstartz
Tue, Dec-27-05, 11:42
Doing things such as this are not my forte, but here goes anyway....

1. Plan's name: Somersize

2. Date: 1996

3, Basic Philosophy/Strategy: Low-Carb

4. By the numbers: Level One, Almost Level One, Level Two

5. Method:
1- Eliminate all
Funky
Foods (http://www.dstartz.com/SomersizeRecipeBoard/InANutshell.htm).
2- Eat Fruits alone and on an empty stomach OR 2 hours after any meal.
3- After eating fruit wait 20 minutes before eating a Carbo meal or 1
hour before eating a Proteins/Fats meal.
4- Eat Proteins/Fats with Veggies.
5- Eat Carbos with Veggies and no fat.
6- Wait three hours between meals IF switching from a Proteins/Fats
meal to a Carbos meal, or vice versa.
7- Do not skip meals. Eat three meals a day, plus snacks, and eat until
you feel satisfied and comfortably full.
8- Drink plenty of water.

6. Typical menu:
Breakfast
Fruit, Fruit smoothie or fruit salad

20 minutes later
Bowl of legal cereal, skim milk, toast with non fat cream cheese or a
sprinkle of cinnamon and Splenda.

Snack
Veggies

Lunch
Chili dogs with onions cheese and sour cream, but no buns.

Snack
Hard boiled egg, a glass of tomato juice and string cheese

Dinner
Roast beef, faux mashed potatoes, asparagus and revolution rolls, with
lemon mousse for dessert.

Snack
Pepperoni chips, homemade cheese crackers or deviled eggs

7. Emphasis on: Separating Protein/Fat and Carbs

8. Unique Features: Whole grain breads and cereals, skim milk, beans,
wild and brown rice, etc. are allowed on this program, but need to
separated from the consumption of proteins and fats by 3 hours.

9. About the author: Suzanne Somers, actress, author, businesswoman.

Quincy
Tue, Jan-10-06, 20:31
We have a pretty good thread going in semi-low carb about The G.I. Diet.
I would like to submit a description to include in the "Plans".
Quincy.

mrstmitch
Wed, May-03-06, 12:48
1. Plan's name: The Rosedale Diet

2. Date: (Original publication): 2004

3. Basic Philosophy/Strategy: The Rosedale Diet is a high fat (monounsaturated), moderate protein diet. Dr. Rosedale bases his plan on achieving leptin sensitivity. Leptin is a hormone that increases when you eat excessive carbs and saturated fat, and so by eating lower carbs and "good" fats, (monounsaturated like olive oil and avocado) your leptin levels will be reduced. Leptin sensitivity (Also goes hand in hand with insulin sensitivity) will regulate your hunger and increase fat burning ability. The Rosedale Diet is also an anti-aging diet.

4. By the numbers: Rosedale is divided into two levels. Level 1 must be followed closely for the the first 3 weeks, and you’re limited to the foods on the “A” list (below). The first 3 weeks, it's important to stick with the program closely so as to achieve leptin sensitivity, and to train your metabolism to burn fat instead of sugar. You can move on to Level 2 after the first 3 weeks which includes foods on the “B” list (below). However, some people with diabetes, metabolic disorders, or coronary artery disease may wish to stick with Level 1 and the foods on the “A” list indefinitely.

5. Method: ROSEDALE DIET—A QUICK OVERVIEW

a. Limit saturated fats---eat primarily chicken, fish, (preferably meats that have not been grain fed or processed with hormones and antibiotics) nuts, vegetables, and no-fat cheeses. (After the first 3 weeks, you can add lean cuts of the other meats, but limit them to 2-3 times per week, per the notation under the “B” list foods)

b. Eat the right amount of protein for you, usually 65-70 grams per day, depending on your lean body mass weight.

c. Avoid sugar and starch. You don't have to count carb grams, just don't eat non-fiber carbs.

d. Don't be afraid of fat, but eat GOOD FAT—i.e., monounsaturated fats like olive oil, nut oils, and avocados, etc.

e. Drink lots of water

f. Don't eat a large quantity at one time. (spread out your meals to 4-5 smaller meals if possible)

g. DON'T EAT FOR AT LEAST 3 HOURS BEFORE BED.

h. DO NOT ALLOW YOURSELF TO GO HUNGRY. Eat good fats, protein if it doesn't cause you to exceed the daily limit, or vegetables--actually, you can eat the acceptable vegetables in unlimited amounts.

i. Exercise after the last meal of the day, if possible.

j. If you "blow it" and go off the program, try to do 15-20 minutes of exercise to burn off the excess glucose.

6. Typical menu:

B: Poached eggs on low carbBread
S: Raw Almonds
L: Chicken Salad
S: Avocado Spread on celery stalks
D: Dilled Salmon and Asparagus with tossed salad

B: Hard-boiled eggs and swiss chard
S: Pecans
L: Tuna Salad
S: Celery with almond butter
D: Baked Halibut and green beans

B: Chicken sausage with avocado
S: hummus and celery
L: chicken with broccoli
S: Ricotta and blueberries
D: LC chicken enchiladas

FAT and PROTEIN: Rosedale is a high fat, (monounsaturated) low protein diet.
SUGAR: Sugar substitutes are allowed (but not encouraged) after the first 3 weeks.
EXERCISE: Dr. Rosedale recommends 15 to 20 minutes a day of some kind of resistance training. He doesn't recommend doing a lot of strenuous exercise, however, because "a high-intensity workout can rev up production of stress hormones and cause blood glucose levels to rise as a result of tearing down excess muscle mass to burn as fuel. This is particularly damaging to someone who is insulin resistant."

8. Unique Features: Particulars that differ from general low-carb diets—
a. Reduction of protein intake, which increases fat burning potential, reduces blood sugar, enhances insulin and leptin sensitivity, keeps your metabolism running efficiently, and reduces free radical damage.
b. LIMIT saturated fats (see number 5-a above)
c. Limited exercise—more emphasis on staying on plan
d. Eating meats that have not been grain fed, hormone or antibiotic fed, or processed such as bacon and ham.
e. Higher fat, (monounsaturated) lower protein.
f. The eggs you eat should be high in Omega-3 fatty acids from free-range, vegetarian fed chickens.
g. Egg yolks are vulnerable to oxidation when cooked at high temperatures, so should be cooked under water, (poached) soft boiled, or slightly hard boiled. If you want fried eggs or an omelette, you should cook the whites only.

9. About the authors:
Ron Rosedale, M.D., is an internationally renowned expert in nutritional and metabolic medicine and an anti-aging specialist. He is the founder of Rosedale Center in Denver, CO; Co-founder of the Colorado Center for Metabolic Medicine in Boulder, CO, and founder of the Carolina Center of Metabolic Medicine in Asheville, North Carolina. Dr. Rosedale has helped thousands suffering from so-called incurable diseases to regain their health. As a keynote speaker, he has appeared before such prestigious groups as the eighth Congressional International Medical Conference on Molecular Medicine, the First European Conference on Longevity Medicine and Quality of Life, and many more. He has been a guest on numerous national radio and television news shows. He lives in Denver, CO

Carol Coleman has coauthored many best-selling books on health and medicine, including Curves: Permanent Results Without Permanent Dieting, The Melatonin Miracle, Shed 10 years in 10 weeks, Body Rx, and more. She live in Larchmont, NY

esoteric
Mon, Jan-28-08, 22:02
What about the recent TNT diet? It's low-carb (though not at low as Atkins induction), combined with resistance training.