PDA

View Full Version : Help? Anti-smooth muscle antibodies?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

OpenArms
Tue, Sep-09-03, 14:59
I had some blood work done not too long ago, and it came back with a positive for the presence of Anti-smooth muscle antibodies. Does ANYONE have any idea what this means? I can hardly find anything on the 'net. and what I do find doens't look promising. My doctor? He's either clueless or apathetic. Can't really tell which, and I'm going to try to find another doctor, but you all know how That is: trying to find one who even acknowledges the possibility of FMS, let alone accept that as a diagnosis.

Anyway - I'm a little concerned about this and wonder if anyone has a clue what this means...

Thanks as always!!

~Tracy

Kent
Mon, Oct-27-03, 21:06
Hi Tracy,

This is what I found by a quick web search:

"Many patients with chronic active hepatitis, and some of those with forms of cirrhosis are positive for this test. Anti-smooth muscle antibodies can also be present in infectious mononucleosis. The test also helps distinguish autoimmune hepatitis from systemic lupus erythematosus."

MEDLINEplus Medical Encyclopedia: Anti-smooth muscle antibody. (http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/003531.htm)

Check out my fibromyalgia web page. It really helped a relative.

Fibromyalgia and CFS - News You Can Use. (http://www.biblelife.org/fibromyalgia.htm)

Kent :wave:

OpenArms
Sun, Nov-02-03, 20:53
Hi Kent,

Thank you for taking the time to help! What bothers me is that the original dr to do this test never said a word about the implications of this to me. So... off to another, and see about getting another test too.

I'm just heading to your site now :)

Thanks again!

~Tracy

beachbum61
Tue, Nov-18-03, 08:41
I was diagnosed with Fibro last December. I started Atkins in April of this year and did start feeling some improvements here and there. I have a mental block about exercise, because I know I felt better in the past when I exercised, I know the benefits, I know things that are best to do, I just can't seem to make the time and stick to it. I know I'm not alone in that, but it makes me feel pretty bad about myself that I can't seem to stick to something that I KNOW would make me feel better.

Anyway, this attachment had lots of info. Thanks.

OpenArms
Sun, Dec-21-03, 01:31
Hi THere, I"m with you on the excercise thing. I know it's good for me, but between a new full time job and single parenting.. and a nasty flare up - excercise is, quite frankly, about the last thing on my mind. Sleep seems to be first (after takign care of the girls). i really wish Ihad someone close (preferabley someone who really understand what fibro does to a body), and a relationship where we could motivate each other. By the end of the day the only thing I want is my heating pad and a bed.
No - not healthy. But I completly understand the fact that exercise is a very difficult thing to get into place and routine.