PDA

View Full Version : What Foods to AVOID?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

toadster
Wed, Jul-25-01, 13:13
I have not started a low carb diet, but am thinking about it quite a bit. I know there are tons of foods and recipes that one CAN eat while on a low carb diet, but I would like to know a list of foods that one should avoid. For instance, I've heard potatoes should be avoided. Anyone have a list of foods to avoid?

Karen
Wed, Jul-25-01, 13:25
Hello Toadster,

Before considering a low carb diet, I recommend reading either Protein Power or Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution. This will give you a good overview.

Things to be avoided, and this is very general: All fruit except a few berries and certain melons upon occasion, anything white except for cauliflower and daikon radish and anything yellow or orange except for peppers. In short, anything with concentrated carbohydrates.

There is a carb counter on the Home Page under Low-Carb Tools in the orange bar.

Karen

doreen T
Wed, Jul-25-01, 13:32
I agree with Karen, do check out those books. You can probably borrow a copy from your library .. :)

Click on Tips on the red menu bar at the top of the page. Check out the articles there, especially Lowcarb Basics and Frequently Asked Questions. These will give basic descriptions and explain not only what lowcarb is, but also what it is NOT. The information there is applicable to all lowcarb programs, not just one specific. There are also more links to official websites, and other books to get you started.

Good luck in your search. Keep us posted how you're doing... :)

Doreen

Jessy
Wed, Jul-25-01, 13:52
Hi!
There are many great pages there. Here's one where you'll find what you need: http://wilstar.com/lowcarb/guidelines.htm
Wish you luck!!!!!:D

cstar4him
Sun, Jul-29-01, 14:37
Jessy,

That was a great website recommendation! I too am just now starting. I have done just about every diet imaginable including Adkins, but have failed to stay on it because I got bored. But with all the ideas I find on this forum, I'm really excited about it now! I tried the Amazing Cheesecake recipe and it is EXCELLENT!!! I believe I can stay on this diet this time, and Toadster you can too.
Thanks!!! :D

kanne140
Sun, Jul-29-01, 16:41
Well, this is my first ever post .. and I ran into your post and thought I would share with you in the confusion of these low carb diets! I plan on starting my diet tomorrow... I just dont know where to even beging.. I have been researching the topic alll day so I am fairly certain this is what I want to do .. but for some reason I'm not used to the idea of eating fatty! I run to carbds every time I diet! yikes! if you have any suggestions for me, or if anyone reads this, PLEASE post a message for a lost chickie named kristin!!!!
take care and good luck!!!!
kristin :) :)

tamarian
Sun, Jul-29-01, 16:50
Dear lost chickie named kristin (LCNK) :)

Welcome aboard. Hang in there, the first few days can be tough, similar to detox programs, since many are addicted to carbs. Once the first few days are over, your body will adapt, and you will feel even better than when you are on carbs.

Your best friend is knowledge. Make sure you read the book of the plan you choose to follow.

Wa'il

kanne140
Sun, Jul-29-01, 16:58
hey thanks for the advice! i just found a website that'll help me get started! ciao!
;) kanne

numberonewendy
Sun, Jul-29-01, 17:37
hmmm...guess not everyone wants to buy the books???

I couldn't do this woe without them!

tamarian
Sun, Jul-29-01, 18:00
Originally posted by numberonewendy
hmmm...guess not everyone wants to buy the books???

I couldn't do this woe without them!

Nor even borrow them from a public library. ;)

There are a lot of quick-fixes for those who want them, but for the long-term, knowledge is power.

Wa'il

John2001
Mon, Jul-30-01, 16:38
tamarian / numberonewendy, I fully agree with your statements.

A book that costs like 6-bucks(usa), for a plan that gives results / works and is a great reference guide.

How can you not buy it?

Could all of us be where we are now without even borrowing a book?

It well worth the 6-bucks. Really worth a lot more for the info it provides. :D

Just my 2-cents
Cheers, John

debbiedobson
Mon, Jul-30-01, 17:21
welcome aboard toadster!:D all i can do is echo... read the books!!:D