PDA

View Full Version : Egg Dish for Breakfast

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

DerBlumers
Thu, Sep-04-03, 15:32
I'm sure you have recipes for breakfast casseroles and quiches quite similar to this one, but I happened upon this combination of ingredients through my own experimentation...and found it quite tasty and filling, and when I figured out the carb content, it came to 2.26666666 (etc) per healthy serving....I just say approximately 2.5 Carbs.

Preheat oven to 450 degrees...
Use a 9 X 12 or 10 X 13 baking pan...oil it with about 2-3 ounces of olive oil...set aside...

Ingredients: one dozen extra large eggs,
16 ounces soft goat cheese (chevre' or montrachet)
16 ounces shredded Pepper Jack cheese (equivalent to four cups...)

Beat all 12 eggs in a large bowl; add pepper jack cheese and mix together. Melt the goat cheese one minute in microwave; mash down in container, then melt another minute. The goat cheese must not be chunky, but not liquified either....just nice and smooth. When it is this consistency, mix it with the other two ingredients...it should spread throughout the mixture evenly.

When finished, pour carefully into the prepared baking pan, and make sure a little oil from the pan remains on all sides of dish. Pop into the preheated oven for 10 minutes; then turn off the oven and let the dish set inside the oven for 30-40 minutes longer.

When you remove the dish, cut in six equal pieces, place in individual bowls with a lid, and store in fridge until ready to use. When you need a quick breakfast, take out a bowl, remove lid, pop in microwave for only a minute, and you have a delicious egg & cheese dish with a bit of a "kick" to it. It needs no salt or other seasoning, IMO, because the cheeses provide enough flavor.

This dish makes six generous, healthy, filling servings with lots of protein, some fat (I don't have the figures on those) and a little less than 2 1/2 Carbs per serving. (to this breakfast, I add two cups of coffee with about 2 ounces of PM Atkins shake each...for a total of just under 5 Carbs for my entire breakfast!) :D

DerBlumers
Mon, Sep-15-03, 16:46
Update on Recipe:

Going into my seventh week of induction; the only week I lost weight was the fourth week...dropped three pounds. Upon checking out possible problems, I discovered that in addition to several things I've already attempted (and didn't seem to work) I discovered that I fit the pattern of a candida/yeast problem to a tee.....I have maybe 90% of the symptoms listed in DANDR, and have a past history of intensive antibiotic treatments and mold/mildew allergy. Therefore....I will be changing my Egg Dish for Breakfast recipe soon....eliminating the cheeses, substituting something else that works....I'll post the new recipe when ready......Stay tuned....;)

DerBlumers
Mon, Sep-22-03, 17:17
Okay....it seems to be no trouble to directly exchange the shredded pepperjack cheese for shredded fresh mozzarella....and the goat chevre' for same amount Philly Cream cheese. To get a better "kick" with the flavor, just add a TBSP or two of chopped jalapeno peppers.