PDA

View Full Version : Pumpkin Pie Smoothie

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

mind-full
Thu, Sep-04-03, 07:58
Well, now that I've concocted it, I could down about a gallon of it:

Pumpkin Pie Smoothie

4 - 6 ice cubes, crushed (more ice cubes means greater volume, mainly)
1/4 c. pureed pumpkin (I use Libby's canned) (4 carbs, 2 fiber)
2 T. heavy whipping cream (opt. and 1 carb)
1/4 c. vanilla whey protein powder (mine is Isopure 0 carb)
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon (spices, in total = 1 carb)
1/4 tsp. ground ginger
1/16 tsp. ground nutmeg
1/16 tsp. ground clove
1/4 c. water

Crush ice in blender first -- alleviates chunks of ice in finished product. Add remaining ingredients and puree until smooth. Serve!

If you want to raise your carb count a little, top with a dollop of whipped cream. To raise the fiber, add a few Tbsp. of flaxmeal, which also increases the thickness.

ADDITION after posting: I let this sit in the refrigerator after making it, maybe 3 hours, and it got to be very thick. Some liquid settled to the bottom, not much, but mixing it in again still left it thick ... very shake-like. Not sure if it's the whey powder, but it must be.

Also, if you want to use pumpkin pie spice in lieu of the separate ingredients, have at it. I think about 3/4 tsp. would do it. If you want to mix your own spice for this recipe the following will give you 10 portions of the spice mixture:

Pumpkin Pie Smoothie Spice Mix
5 tsp. ground cinnamon
2 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
5/8 (1/2 =1/8) tsp. each nutmeg and cloves

Mix all together and store in an airtight container. Use 3/4 tsp. per smoothie.

Now, Wanda, if I didn't post this in the right spot please let me know!

wcollier
Thu, Sep-04-03, 11:02
Now, Wanda, if I didn't post this in the right spot please let me know!
Ya done good! Your concoction looks quick and tastey!

Wanda

daisy13
Sat, Oct-04-03, 04:32
This sounds delicious!! I love pumpkin pie and I think that even if I wasn't LCing that I would like it. The only problem is...are there any aussies out there that know if we can get canned pumpkin here in Sydney? I have been looking, especially around Thanksgiving (wanted to make a good American pumpkin pie for my English BF) but couldn't find any. Any suggestions??

Thanks

wcollier
Sun, Oct-12-03, 10:14
Hi Daisey13:

You may have to post your question to another thread. Maybe the "Austrialia / New Zealand" forum would be able to help you best.

Good luck in your quest.

Wanda

badgoat
Sun, Oct-12-03, 10:29
I just made this and is it ever :yum:

Thanks, mind-full!

badgoat, pumpkin addict

mind-full
Mon, Oct-13-03, 04:34
You're welcome! I'm putting one together this a.m., as I've been in "pumpkin mode" these days.

Glad it suits you!

---Amy

badgoat
Mon, Oct-13-03, 06:46
I had one for brekkie this am, too. I added some sf vanilla and a little bit more pumpkin. Like having dessert for breakfast!

badgoat