PDA

View Full Version : UK cream

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

LCSue
Tue, Jul-24-01, 20:20
I was just checking out one of the sites from the UK, and found a couple of yummy looking recipes. One calls for 'double' cream, and the other calls for 'single' cream. I'm guessing the double cream is whipping cream (?), but could someone help me out here?

Thanks,

Karen
Tue, Jul-24-01, 21:46
Sue, you're right!

Karen

LCSue
Tue, Jul-24-01, 23:36
Thanks, Karen. So ... would 'single' cream be half and half, then?

jenniferpa
Fri, Aug-10-01, 17:38
Double cream = heavy cream in U.S (at least in the NE), and must have a minimum of 18% butter fat. Not only that, whipping cream has a number of additives that make it behave differently to double cream (it doesn't hold its shape so well for one thing). Single cream = light cream. 1/2 & 1/2 is more like the top of the milk (something one doesn't get so much nowadays I guess).

As an English women living in America I may be new to low carb but cream I know about (which is probably part of the reson I now need to low carb LOL)

Jay

Correction - I must have put my brain somewhere - thats 45% butter fat!

Sharon
Sat, Aug-11-01, 08:57
Jay, thanks for setting us straight. Nice to have it right from the source of experience.

Welcome.