PDA

View Full Version : Diflucan Question

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

MoInPhx
Sat, Aug-23-03, 16:58
I have read several posts about the benefits of Diflucan, but no one really has posted the exact amount their doctor prescribed and for how long they took it. I did read one person takes 200mg every so often, but I'd like more information about experiences from those who have taken it. Will a one time 100mg dose kill off enough yeast in conjuction with Yeast-Cleanse and Acidophilus to make a difference? I don't have a current vaginal yeast infection but I have a *ton* of other symtoms and last month was on a 7 day course of Amoxicillin for a tooth infection.

Thanks in advance!

Mo

Anna's Mom
Mon, Aug-25-03, 19:50
I have been on Atkins for almost three months and am going through my second yeast infection. It is much worse this time than the first and has spread to the outside of my privates, especially inside the cheeks of my buttocks. Very uncomfortable. Anyway, my doctor prescribed Diflucan today after a course of Terazol last week, then Monistat failed to get rid of the yeast. The prescription was for - 1 pill, 150 mg. The directions say that one pill is all you need and it may take 3-5 days before you are better, but that the Diflucan lives in your system for the entire period it takes for the yeast to clear up.

MoInPhx
Tue, Aug-26-03, 10:31
Thanks for taking the time to reply to my message. I was hoping someone would take a moment out of their busy day to respond. I appreciate the info.

I'm on Atkin's too and I'm a little disappointed that after 33 days, I'm only down 10 pounds. I have a food journal, watch my carbs, haven't cheated, cut out cheese, vinegar products, take probiotics and Yeast-Cleanse. I am fairly convinced the yeast overgrowth is slowing me down. Of course being 48 and in menopause for several years already doesn't help either. :) I'm not familar with Terazol.

I hope you feel better soon.

Mo

melissasvh
Tue, Aug-26-03, 10:47
Okay, this is going to probably sound gross, but when I had a yeast infection, it worked better than anything else. Get some yogurt with live, active cultures. Get a syringe of the type that is used to give liquid meds to infants. Use the syringe to inject the yogurt into the "affected area." Yes, it's cold and messy, but it's also very inexpensive and you don't build up a resistance to it. Also, the relief is almost immediate. I kid you not, my infection was gone within 24 hours.

Anna's Mom
Wed, Aug-27-03, 07:26
Mo - don't be discouraged. I only lost 8 lbs. the fist month. It has been almost three months for me now and I'm down 15 lbs. and a whole clothing size. It is a slow process and there is no quick fix. Keep doing what you are doing, exercise as much as you can and it will come off.

Terazol is a prescription suppositiry to treat yeast, like Monistat and Gyne-Lotrimin, which are over-the-counter.

If none of these treatments seems to get rid of your yeast, I suggest you try acupuncture, which can often help you overcome "blockages" that might be hindering your return to full health. I've tried acupuncture several times when my immune system seemd to not be doing its job and it has helped me. It will be my next step if the yeast won't go away.

MoInPhx
Wed, Aug-27-03, 13:16
Thanks for the encouraging words. A good friend of mine several years ago was an acupuncturist and Chinese herbalist. So I am familar with both being good treatments for a number of things. Unfortunately, having been laid off of work for several months, it is out of my budget.
So that's why I was hoping to get more information and personal experiences about how well Diflucan works. I was in the military when I was a young, 18 year old woman and I'm scheduled to go to the VA hospital this afternoon to see if I qualify for care from them. I need a complete physical, mamogram, the whole nine yards. I am hoping someone in the Women's Health Care Services section has heard about yeast overgrowth as Atkin's explains it too.

Mo

katoman
Mon, Oct-06-03, 11:33
If you qualify, (I am retired Air Force) the diflucan will only cost you $9.00 per dose. It will be administered 150 mg 1x week for up to 4 weeks. I just started a course of treatment today. My dermatologist prescribed it for me after I had discussed with him the fact that my SWEAT smells yeasty & that the yeast is affecting my treatment for pustular psoriasis. How do I know? When treated for the candida-infested pustules two years ago, I was given diflucan. It had some effect, but at that time I was still on a hc diet. Now that I'm LC'ing, I hope to see much better results this time!

Good Luck.

Sunslyte
Mon, Oct-06-03, 19:32
My doctor prescribes 7 pills -- 200 mg. I have had them 3 different times in 2 months. I don't have the "traditional" nether regions symptoms, I have had the bloating and worse -- a travelling rash that has about driven me crazy.

I've been using diluted grapefruit seed extract to treat the rash topically, and its worked better than ANYTHING else has to get the bumps to go down fast. NOW, if they will just STAY gone.

252dlp
Tue, Oct-07-03, 07:48
I took one single dose. I didn't have the a vaginal yeast infection, but have problems in my sinuses and intestines. I do believe that single dose along with the supplements I'm taking and avoiding problem foods helped. I am taking Nystatin currently along with Caprylic acid and acidophilus.

Yakumo
Tue, Apr-12-05, 02:17
I have been on Atkins for almost three months and am going through my second yeast infection. It is much worse this time than the first and has spread to the outside of my privates, especially inside the cheeks of my buttocks. Very uncomfortable. Anyway, my doctor prescribed Diflucan today after a course of Terazol last week, then Monistat failed to get rid of the yeast. The prescription was for - 1 pill, 150 mg. The directions say that one pill is all you need and it may take 3-5 days before you are better, but that the Diflucan lives in your system for the entire period it takes for the yeast to clear up.

The Diflucan only stays in your system for about 30 hours or so (maybe a few days, not too sure). Not until the yeast clears up. That is why people with certain infections take it every day. Be careful since the yeast can build up a resistance to Diflucan. I am not sure whether it is better to take it once weekly, or daily.

lost girl
Tue, Apr-12-05, 20:39
My doctor prescribes 7 pills -- 200 mg. I have had them 3 different times in 2 months. I don't have the "traditional" nether regions symptoms, I have had the bloating and worse -- a travelling rash that has about driven me crazy.

I've been using diluted grapefruit seed extract to treat the rash topically, and its worked better than ANYTHING else has to get the bumps to go down fast. NOW, if they will just STAY gone.

What do you mix the grapefruit seed extract with? i want to try that... the medicine the doctor gave me isn't working for my rash.... I know it's too strong to put on straight...