PDA

View Full Version : anybody worried about college starting?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

may
Thu, Aug-14-03, 15:04
hi everybody ! Is anybody here worried about the first day of school? I thought I should get over this by now (I'm 22) and this is going to be my second year of university but it feels like I'm going to start highschool all over again... I'm really worried about how I'm going to look, what to wear, will I make new friends? I thought I would lose more weight during my summer vecation but that did not happen...I did well for a while but then I went on vacation and broke all the rules. I'm back on track now but this first day of school just horrifies me. is there anybody else feeling that way about going back? or starting college???? or is it just me? (HELP!!!!)

JOHNSON
Fri, Aug-15-03, 08:50
im kinda worried about going back - not so much cuz of what i look like, but stayin on the WOL is gonna be tough.
i live in a frat where everyone eats crappy food all day and boozes it up all night.... thats gonna take some willpower.
im 22 as well - hopin i can handle it. Im sure once the 1st week is over, itll be easy - just gotta make it over the hump

Johnson

melissasvh
Fri, Aug-15-03, 09:09
I just finished with my summer session, so I have a month of "vacation" (if you can call it that with a full time job and an internship) before starting in the fall. I've found a lot of little tips for eating/snacking during school:

Subway - salads - you can get everything that's on the sandwiches
Taco Bell - my choice is the chicken soft taco, ditch the tortilla
The campus book store - they carry snack packs of nuts and cheese
Sidewalk vendors - in a pinch you can have a hot dog, sans bun.
If your friends order pizza, skip the crust.
You can get breakfast any time of the day at places like IHOP and Denny's
* Visit all the eating establishments in the area, or at least the ones you and your friends visit often, and make a list of one or more choices you could eat at each place (including instructions like "no bun"). That way, when you're faced with a eat-or-cheat situation, you won't be forced to make a choice

The real key is to keep yourself focused on what you want to acheive. It is so hard, especially when you're limited to choices on campus. You may also try your student health center to see if there is a weight-loss group. Chances are, you'll be able to find someone else on a LC plan that can be some support for you.

One more thing - an excellent investment would be a dorm-sized refrigerator, if you don't already have one. You can store an awful lot of "acceptable" food in one of those to have on hand when you need it.

gatsbyjas
Fri, Aug-15-03, 09:33
Johnson-- What house are you in? Im in a sorority.. and Im living in the house this year, im worried about all the beer drinking. MOst of my sisters are on crazy low-cal plans anyways so there wont be much pressure there...

may
Fri, Aug-15-03, 10:45
Hi guys! its really good to hear that there are other students out there making this way of life college compatible... keep it up!! :yay:
The hardest thing to avoid, I think, is the alcohol. I go to university in England and although I don't drink much usually, it is part of the student life to drink a lot there, I'm not just talking about one beer. I find it really hard to go to a pub and order diet cock... besides that lunches can sometimes be a problem since for some reason 99% of the salads that are available neer my school have pasta or potatos in them. most of last year I had the same thing for lunch every day (boring..)

melissasvh
Fri, Aug-15-03, 10:58
I find it really hard to go to a pub and order diet cock...

Wow, I can NEVER find that at bars here ;)

:lol:

may
Fri, Aug-15-03, 11:30
:lol: hehehehe

Jsoprano
Sat, Aug-16-03, 16:32
Hey guys..I hear ya on going back to school. I am back at auburn now and the bars are verrry tempting. I always start off drinking low carb beers and then i lose inhibition and start drinking sugary cosmos. Oh well...at least im not eating mcdonalds afterwards like i used to. The college lifestyle makes eating low carb sometimes difficult! I find that if i eat low carb during the week I dont feel so bad about the bars! HAve fun everyone!

GoHokies05
Sat, Aug-16-03, 18:44
I'm going back to school tomorrow to move into my apt! :) I'm just nervous about seeing my ex bf, we haven't seen eachother since Jan...yeek. I'm a sorority sister too! Tri Delta!

Vpeach
Sun, Aug-17-03, 22:05
Hellooooo! School start on the 26th for me. I'm not too nervous, but I was also hoping to have lost more weight during the summer. My 5day trip to Nicaragua sorta did me in though :(. I'm back to the plan. I live in my own apartment, so i'm not tempted to drink and eat pizza and all that stuff. I'm not a big drinker, but IF i do drink, i drink vodka or any other clear alchy...and anything 80% proof. Good luck w/ the Fall semester!! I start my advertising and public relations courses. I can't decide which one to go into, so i'm doing both :)

lorien
Mon, Aug-18-03, 08:46
Definitely, if you're living in a dorm, get a fridge. Sometimes you can rent them from the school for a pittance each semester, otherwise theyre $100-300. Keep a stash of lowcarb snacks in your bookbag - pork rinds, jerky, cheese, nuts if you're not on induction. Print out the acceptable fast food list from the Atkins website.

Not much to do about the alcohol. It's as much of a choice as the rest of this WOL is - it's not healthy, much like wasteful carbs aren't healthy. Like wasteful carbs, the longer you go without the less likely you will be to overkill when you do have some.

The peer pressure is an issue, yes. But it all comes back to you and your choices. Decide what you want and stick with it. Easier said than done, sure. But the alcohol is a good issue to stick to - if you can deal with that, the rest is a cinch.

JOHNSON
Mon, Aug-18-03, 10:05
gatsbyjas
im in phi sigma kappa.... aka phi sig. Its a fun time and ive been up there quite a bit this summer..goin back at the end of this week.. The guys busted on me a little bit for not drinkin beers with them... but they got over it in like 5 minutes. ive dropped like 25 lbs in a month and a half so they support it
just built a bar in my room so im gonna hit up spirits mostly - lots of gins on the rocks.... and when i go out, i've been sneakin a few flasks.... that works well - saved myself like 100 bucks a weekend!

as far as bein pressured to drink beers.... people will probably bust on you for like 5 minutes and then just accept it.... its them first 5 minutes that are rough.

good luck!!! and if all else fails - booze on some miller light or michelob ultra.

johnson

Vpeach
Mon, Aug-18-03, 12:28
Johnson-have you ever tried Michelob Ultra... it actually tastes pretty good. My bf drinks it occasionally, but its 2.5carbs for 12oz serving. So if the guys bug you about not drinking beer, you can have that. I also heard Corona light is low carb.......

JOHNSON
Tue, Aug-19-03, 11:53
ya - im gonna go buy a 30 of one of those brrrs and just put it in my fridge - see how long i can last without touchin it..... just dont want to end up needin a beer one night and end up drinkin somethin bad.....

sweet gizmo

keh001
Tue, Aug-19-03, 14:48
I am moving back to school tomorrow, and classes start the 25th, and yes I am very nervous! The last time anyone at school saw me I was 20 pounds lighter- lets just say I didn't lose as much weight as I wanted to this summer! Obviously I have accepted the fact that I won't lose 20 pounds in less than a week, but it still makes me feel a little insecure to know that I will look so different with extra weight. I know my friends love me regardless, but it doesn't make it any less difficult! I have to make sure I don't limit my activities because I feel less than perfect and just stay true to myself. Ughh----I hate it when people pressure you nonstop to drink, it can be humiliating when they just won't leave you alone no matter how many times you say no!

Vpeach
Tue, Aug-19-03, 19:31
the peer pressure w/ drinking or doing anything I dont want to has never bothered me..its my body...if they want to be a bunch of fatasses..then thats their prob..not mine...you should just view yourself at your goal weight wearing that one outfit that you've been wanting to wear for the longest time...and then imagine them in the background w/ beerbellies and grease stains on their shirts from pizza... thats what i do :)

tazmizzion
Fri, Aug-22-03, 13:21
I'm quite the opposite to worried! I'm so looking forward for September 2nd!! For the last 2 years I have come back to my college at least 20 lbs lighter each time and always got the "Wow you lost a lot of weight", "You look great" etc.

This time I lost another 20 lbs but added 20 in muscle too! 3 months and I developed a huge chest (48inches) and arms (18inches). As you can tell I'm more than just a lil' proud :dazzle: . Now I just need to lose another 40 or so lbs or another 20/20 wit muscle :lol:

As to the parties and lcing at school I found it easier than I expected. At parties I'll only have the hard stuff no beer at all. I haven't tried the Michelob Ultra but I'll have to see. And with lcing I just eat a salad a day, bacon cheesburger/hot dog/chicken burger for lunch, then one of the many choices from the meat market (Who else loves Pernil??) And for a snack/s its one ounce bags of nuts, hot dogs, deli meats with cheese, and berries (very rare!).

What a rant,

T

Vpeach
Fri, Aug-22-03, 13:27
Whats Pernil? Wow! Looks like you've been busy this summer..adding the muscle and losing the fat..I envy you!!! I'm going back to school 5pounds lighter...but I have lost inches..yay!
I start on tuesday..its gonna be a long day!

tazmizzion
Fri, Aug-22-03, 13:45
OMG you don't know what Pernil is? It's a South American (Ecuadorian-style) dish, roasted Pork, slightly glazed, delicious. It's a 'lil dry but we need our water don't we?

Other South American dishes great for lcing:

Ropa Bieja (Literally translated: Old Clothes :lol: )
Asado (Roasted Pork but not like Pernil cuz this has the pork skin toasted and left on!!!)
Qui (This I doubt you'll find anywhere in the US, but its a small rodent thats cooked over an open fire pit. The rodent is smaller than a rabitt and bigger than a hamster... don't think of it as a rodent though, LOL )

Finally my favorite but the hardest to find even in South America...
Roasted Armadillo! It's like a giant lobster that isn't salty!

:doah: mmmm.... Armadillio

tazmizzion
Fri, Aug-22-03, 13:52
Vpeach,

I just noticed your in Texas maybe it's not that hard for you to get Armadillo after all :agree:

Also forgot (talking about all that delicious food makes me forget...) yea I was very dedicated because my little cousin was playing with me and he grabbed my chest and had a handfull!!

From then on I went to the gym and weight lifted for 2-3 hrs 5 times a week and played this cardio-arobic game called Dance Dance Revolution for 30-60 mins a day everyday! I went from a 85lb bench presser with man breasts to a 185lb bench presser with a nice defined man chest!