PDA

View Full Version : desperate for help

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

STALLQUEEN
Thu, Aug-14-03, 09:04
I followed Atkins for 1 year, on. /off. great results at fist, I stalled for 5 months no loss at all, got discouraged and went one a 3 week binge, I CAN FEEL THE WEIGHT i HAVE GAINED, i REFUSE TO WEIGH IN,

Today is day 2 of just basic low carb, but I want to try PP.

give me an idea of what the breakdown is,

Im afraid of uping carbs to 10 per meal when now I barely eat 20 all day is dont lose, know what I mean.

Im really confused now, I just want to lose and be able to eat withoput my dh always on my ba ck about how much fat I eat.

I need to lose aboyt 30lbs. so, what do I do,

and how do I figure out how much protein Im eating, is by ounze size.

HELP ME IN AS MUCH DETAUL AS POSSIBLE, PLEASE......

cartmanis
Thu, Aug-14-03, 09:54
The book explains things in details, I'd certainly suggest reading it, as it has a lot more scientific information backing up their approach, which makes for an interesting read.
A quick summary:
You average 7-10g of carbs per meal during phase 1
1oz of meat I think is 7 grams of protein.
PP latest book I believe sets everybody at .9g of protein per lb of lean body mass, the first book varies more by activity level. Both are minimum protein amounts.

sierra_jen
Fri, Aug-15-03, 11:25
Sometimes we just eat too few calories and carbs to keep the metabolizm up to par.
PP Plan is much easier to stay on and when I switched back to PP Plan a week ago I started losing (fat and inches, not weight) again even with the extra 10 carbs a day. I guess I needed more than I was getting.

This is fron July 28th till today
Muscle Gained +2.09 lbs.
Fat Lost -4.09 lbs.
Inches Lost -5.25

See only 2 scale lbs. lost but 4 lbs. of fat. whooppie!!!!

good luck
Jen

skeeweeaka
Fri, Aug-15-03, 12:22
I followed Atkins for 1 year, on. /off. great results at fist, I stalled for 5 months no loss at all, got discouraged and went one a 3 week binge, I CAN FEEL THE WEIGHT i HAVE GAINED, i REFUSE TO WEIGH IN,

Today is day 2 of just basic low carb, but I want to try PP.

give me an idea of what the breakdown is,

Im afraid of uping carbs to 10 per meal when now I barely eat 20 all day is dont lose, know what I mean.

Im really confused now, I just want to lose and be able to eat withoput my dh always on my ba ck about how much fat I eat.

I need to lose aboyt 30lbs. so, what do I do,

and how do I figure out how much protein Im eating, is by ounze size.

HELP ME IN AS MUCH DETAUL AS POSSIBLE, PLEASE......

STALLQUEEN.... I would say listen to your body....I was on Atkins and lost 7 pounds...in 3 weeks....BUT I felt very very tired...and listless. Then switched to PP and lost 4 pounds in 1 week.... I had a little more energy but not enough to complete my workouts... I haven't lost anything in over 3 weeks.... I keep fluctuating 3 pounds..gaining it and losing it... I think that some of our bodies are not adjusting to all of the fat well... mine isn't so I have been researching other options...

Specifically, The Insulin Resistance Diet and Michael Thurmonds Six Week Body Makeover... The Insulin Resistance Diet stresses eating in balance....each meal includes a protein and a carb... Leaner meats and cheeses...

Michael Thurmond's program also stresses these principles... Although he suggests no fat, no salt, no dairy, no sugar, which I see as a little too strict lol. However, after going to the site and reading members posts, recipes, problems, etc...., I have decided to incorporate SOME of his ideas into my PP Plan to keep my insulin levels stable....

1. Smaller meals at least 5, but preferably 6 a day.... 2. Two ounces of protein at each of my 6 meals.... 3. Two carbs servings at lunch and dinner... 4. Two low carb fruit servings for snacks along with a low carb. 5. Keeping proteins to mostly chicken, fish, beef...whole foods....lean proteins.... 6. Watching added sodium... I had been salting my eggs to make them palitable... which could explain my stall.... I was adding salt to everything and I'm typicallly not a salt eater... I have started purchasing lower salt items...tomatoe sauce...even chicken purchased has a broth that contains sodium... Hadnt realized that... Salt slows down the metabolism.... 7. Perhaps I might try adding oatmeal to my breakfast meal after a couple of weeks of doing this... 8. Adding an extra carb to my preworkout meal...to increase energy leves during workout...wasn't eating prior to exercising and he says that burns muscle instead of fat... 9. Adding strength training at least twice a week... 10. One hundred ounces of water daily...

There.... I think this might help you....I think my salt intake, as well as my caloric intake, has sabotaged my diet and prevented me from losing the pounds... After really looking at what I was eating, most of my meals were packaged products....bacon (salt), smoke sausage (salt), lunch meats (salt), then adding more salt to my eggs... These were the wrong kinds of fats.... For the last 2 days I have been following these guidelines and have lost 2 pounds... I feel lighter...and better... Just considering the sodium count of what I was eating along was frightening...

It is difficult for me because I hate to cook.... So on their site they suggested cooking in batches and freezing your meals... So today I am cooking up one of their recipes for baked chicken so that I can have meals accessible when I need them... IN A NUT SHELL DON'T JUST COUNT YOUR CALORIES OR CARBS...LOOK AT THE LABELS AND SEE WHAT IS IN THE STUFF....WHOLE FOODS ARE BETTER...

Good Luck... Hope this helps you out a little...

CurlyLocks
Sun, Aug-17-03, 07:36
sierra_jen,
the following was taken from your reply to "stallqueen":
"This is fron July 28th till today
Muscle Gained +2.09 lbs.
Fat Lost -4.09 lbs.
Inches Lost -5.25

See only 2 scale lbs. lost but 4 lbs. of fat. whooppie!!!!"

would you please share how you calculated the fat pounds you lost and the muscle pounds you gained?

many thanks!
curlylocks

sierra_jen
Sun, Aug-17-03, 13:18
It is a pretty complicated formula that I used when I was doing the Body for Life workout program. It gives you fat weight. bodyfat%. LBM.

It envolves weight age and caliper readings. you can probably still get that formula from the bodyforlife website.

Jen