PDA

View Full Version : Avoid Chemicals, Foods and Herbs that Act as Estrogens

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Natrushka
Wed, Aug-13-03, 13:13
Source: Women's Therapeutic Institute

Phytoestrogens, Naturally Occurring Plant Estrogens Plants produce chemicals that mimic estrogen, and block progesterone. In general, it is thought that they tend to wash out of the body within several days in contrast to months or decades that the xenoestrogens take to be excreted. Whole grains, fruits, seeds, beans and herbs all are know to have estrogen and/or progesterone activity. In general, any food that has been eaten by a culture or people group for centuries is probably all right to eat if the people group in question is relatively free from these estrogen related diseases.

When referring to phytoestrogens, it is generally thought that a "weak" estrogen may actually be protective against cancer causing xenoestrogens. The best example, is Lilian Thompson PhD’s work that showed that oral ground flax seed reduced breast cancer size to one half between the time of diagnosis and surgery. A strong phytoestrogen may actually make the disease worse. Again the list that follows is incomplete because of the lack of research money and interest:

Coffee is a known phytoestrogen. Coffee is commonly known to make fibrocystic breast disease worse. It is not thought to be the caffeine, but coffee itself mimics estrogen strongly. Thus, decaffinated coffee still may be estrogenic.

Clover, Red Clover tea, Alfalfa Sprouts. Australian sheep grazing on imported European clover developed still births and sterility 3 years later. Finally, formononetin was determined to be the culprit. Formononetin mimics estrogen.

Sunflower Seeds. Coumestrol found in sunflower seeds when fed to the mother rat caused permanent reproductive problems in the rat pups: female pups when grown did not ovulate, and the male pups had altered mounting behavior and fewer ejaculations. Neonatal rats and immature rats exposed to coumestrol had premature estrous cycles. Flax seed oil and Soy oil are known NOT have the active phytoestrogens. Sunflower oil MAY or MAY NOT have active hormone components in it.

Queen Anne's lace (wild carrot) During the fourth century B.C., Hipocrates noted that Queen Anne's Lace prevented pregnancies. It is now know that that seeds contain a chemical know to block progesterone needed to maintain a pregnancy.

Pomegranate The Greeks used this plant as a contraceptive. Modern research confirms strong estrogen activity.

The article continues here (http://www.annieappleseedproject.org/chemfoodhert.html) (it's very long but worth the read)

-N

Optimist
Wed, Aug-13-03, 21:23
Avoid Coffee, Beer, Sunflower Seeds, Red Clover Tea, Camomille Tea. Avoid Sunflower seeds, Pomegranate, Licorice, Red Clover, Yucca, Hops (Beer) and Motherwort, Bloodroot, Ocotillo, Mandrake, Oregano, Damiana, Pennyroyal, Verbenna, Nutmeg, Tumeric, Yucca, Thyme, Calamus rt., Red Clover, Goldenseal, Licorice, Mistletoe, Cumin, Fennel, Camomille, Cloves, Queen Anne's lace (wild carrot), Fennel, Alfalfa Sprouts
The list of things to avoid contains things I use daily or with some regularity. Cumin, for instance, is widely used in certain world cuisines, as is oregano... I've read articles or passages about phytoestrogens from time to time and the research is worth keeping an eye on but I don't know how I feel about them in regard to my own diet yet. I consume decent amounts of both coffee and sunflower seeds but would a sprinkle of oregano in sauce a couple times a week be dangerous? If I had a strong family history of cancer I'd probably work to avoid them more strenuously. Or, if I were younger and looking to start a family, likewise. It's a tough call.....

I already avoid meat from animals fed antibiotics and hormones and now will stop heating food in plastic, and consider changing my detergents and lotions based on the article so thanks (as usual!), Nat.

SDgrandma
Wed, Aug-13-03, 21:43
Great article, Nat. Just proves we never really know how what we are eating or using can be affecting us.

gotbeer
Thu, Aug-14-03, 10:49
Ever heard the saying "Whatever doesn't kill us, makes us stronger"?

There is a growing body of evidence - thousands of studies, in fact - that suggest that SMALL levels of toxins may actually be good for us.

An article in the current issue of Scientific American (available for online purchase at this link (http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?colID=5&articleID=00053833-173D-1F30-9AD380A84189F2D7)) suggests that low-level toxic exposures activate cell-repair mechanisms that wind up making us stronger and better able to fend off future attacks.

Consider exercise: on an immediate cellular level, exercise is a disaster - tissues are damaged and drained of energy reserves; red blood cells are destroyed, and so on. Yet, the body's cells respond by rebuilding, adding muscle tissue, and increasing strength and health - in effect, overcompensating for the stress.

Studies in mice and rats have shown that low doses of dioxin or radiation actually protect against cancer by stimulating DNA repair mechanisms. (High doses of radiation or dioxin are still dangerous, of course.)

This adaptive/protective/rebuilding response is called "hormesis", and it is one of the more interesting new fields of emerging research.

It is not clear yet whether or not the hormesis effect helps or hurts in the case of estrogenic chemicals in humans - developing fetuses, for example, may be vulnerable to estrogenic compounds in ways that adults are not.

However, this hormesis mechanism is a good reason not to be overly concerned about such contaminents.

I worry about the damn carbs instead.

Natrushka
Thu, Aug-14-03, 10:55
There is a growing body of evidence - thousands of studies, in fact - that suggest that SMALL levels of toxins may actually be good for us.
Interesting, but would not the comment that "a "weak" estrogen may actually be protective against cancer causing xenoestrogens. .... A strong phytoestrogen may actually make the disease worse." fall into this category? Or is that pushing things too far?

-N

gotbeer
Thu, Aug-14-03, 10:58
Just so...in fact, it was that comment that made me think to link to the SciAm article.

It is ok to be concerned - just don't let it eat you alive, is all I'm saying.

gotbeer
Mon, Aug-18-03, 16:18
The SCIAM article on hormesis just became available for free:

http://sciam.com/article.cfm?chanID=sa004&articleID=00019A70-0C1C-1F41-B0B980A841890000