PDA

View Full Version : I'm new here!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

tatertot
Thu, Jul-19-01, 23:06
Hi!
I have been on Induction for 13 days now and just found your board! I have tons of questions, but here are a couple to start:

-I see the Splenda appears to be the "preferred" artificial sweetener. Why is that?
-Is there any sugar free gum or mints that are ok to have?
Thanks in advance for your help! :)

tatertot
Thu, Jul-19-01, 23:33
Oh....another thing...
I've lost 10 lbs. so far but NO inches! I don't understand that one. I only did chest/waist/hips measurements, so it is possible I'm losing weight from other areas (hmm...toes and fingers perhaps? ;) )or is most of it water and not affecting measurements? The really weird thing is I tried on some jeans that I wore about 3 or 4 weeks ago, and they were looser on me! I'm confused! :confused: Anyone have an explanation?

Karen
Fri, Jul-20-01, 02:30
Welcome to the forum tater!

Inches are lost in mysterious ways. Some people say that your body is recomposing, but I don't know if there is any real explanation for it.

Check out the Tips section in the red bar at the top of the page for all you ever wanted to know about artificial sweeteners.

Some one here will be able to advise you on gum and mints. I don't use them, so I don't know!

Karen

doreen T
Fri, Jul-20-01, 07:26
Congrats on the 10 lbs, that's great.

About the measurements -- are you just measuring the "standard 3" -- chest, waist, hips? It's a good idea to track other areas of the body as well .. if you're a woman, then measure also the ribcage, under the bust ... also measure around the fullest part of the abdomen if that is below your waist; measure around each thigh, knee and calf, also upper arm and neck even. The fact that your jeans are looser is an indicator that inches have been lost, just not in the exact spot where you put the tape .. :)

On the sweeteners, yes do check out the Tips article Sweetener Information. Splenda itself is made from sugar, but is not absorbed by the body. It's stable in heat so you can use it for cooking. However, the bulk form, which you buy in a box and measure out by the spoonful just like sugar, and the powder in little packets ... has maltodextrin in it ... which is a carb, and can cause problems if eaten in excess. As with all things, moderation is key.

Most sugar-free gum and mints do have a small amount of carbs in them, usually from the sweeteners used. Check the label carefully. Those 1 or 2 carbs per piece may not be much ... but it adds up over the day if you have them frequently, especially with Induction, when you only have 20 carbs to play with.

Happy lowcarbing!

Doreen

debbiedobson
Fri, Jul-20-01, 08:44
welcome to the board tatertot!:D congratulations on the 10lbs lost! that's terrific! i've always chewed gum while losing weight. i chew dentyne ice. i work in customer service and i worry about my breath, so i'm always chewing! :D

tatertot
Sat, Jul-21-01, 23:41
Thanks for the help and suggestions. :) I really do need to add a few other measurements in. Luckily, I feel like my thighs have actually been one of the places I'm losing from! :)

r.mines
Sun, Jul-22-01, 08:30
Tater, another thing you can do is 'measure' yourself using a too-small piece of clothing. Day by day, those jeans (or whatever) will get looser and looser. My measurements haven't changed in ages, but my once-small jeans are now too big. Don't ask me - I don't know!

Rachel