PDA

View Full Version : Yummy egg trick

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Kareny
Wed, Aug-13-03, 05:06
I've been getting bored lately with my staple scrambled eggs and cheese (despite introducing a lot of other breakfast foods into my rotation). I used to love this dish, and was a little discouraged that it's losing its appeal for me.

So I tried something new yesterday. For some reason, I've never heard of this one before, but came up with the idea and gave it a shot. I've eaten it for breakfast two days in a row now, and can't get enough. I think I might have eaten this before, but nobody told me what the secret was.

...I added sour cream.

Suddenly I've got Addictive Eggs! The only problem is that I think I'm gobbling them down too fast because they taste so good! :lol:

I did four eggs, a dollop of sour cream, and some muenster cheese. And YUMMY!!!!!! I'd recommend this to anyone else who's bored with their eggs.

mind-full
Wed, Aug-13-03, 06:34
I've added sour cream after cooking the eggs, and that's good, but I've not tried adding them while cooking ... I'll have to test that one!

I'm not quite sick of eggs yet, but it's getting there. I made some flaxseed muffins today and they were okay. A little chewy, but I'm going to try upping the oil or adding sour cream to them to balance them out a bit better.

Someone suggested adding cream cheese to eggs. I tried that but it wasn't my thing, though I love cream cheese!

Thanks for the suggestion. :cool:

pianofritz
Sat, Dec-09-06, 04:57
I'll try the "yummy eggs" approach. Right now, I fix scrambled eggs with Parmesan-Romano cheese on them. Really good. For a real change, I warm up a half of a can of corned beef (NOT hash!) and fry three eggs sunnyside up in a separate frying pan. I use butter and olive oil to fry the corned beef and just butter for the eggs. When they are done I just put them on top of the corned beef on a plate and eat them with a spoon. Some good!

Some1Sweet
Sun, Dec-17-06, 00:43
Yum I love corned beef, the eggs over corned beef sounds good I am definetly going to have to try that.

2bthinner!
Fri, Jan-12-07, 21:39
corned beef (NOT hash!) I've made some, I thought, good hash with chopped onions and cauliflower. It really was good. Fried it, of course. :lol: I cooked the cauliflower for a while first, as of those three things it takes longest to cook, then the onion, then add the corned beef..

weezerchic
Sat, Jan-13-07, 18:30
I've been getting bored lately with my staple scrambled eggs and cheese (despite introducing a lot of other breakfast foods into my rotation). I used to love this dish, and was a little discouraged that it's losing its appeal for me.

So I tried something new yesterday. For some reason, I've never heard of this one before, but came up with the idea and gave it a shot. I've eaten it for breakfast two days in a row now, and can't get enough. I think I might have eaten this before, but nobody told me what the secret was.

...I added sour cream.

Suddenly I've got Addictive Eggs! The only problem is that I think I'm gobbling them down too fast because they taste so good! :lol:

I did four eggs, a dollop of sour cream, and some muenster cheese. And YUMMY!!!!!! I'd recommend this to anyone else who's bored with their eggs.
i jay rtry this... have you ever put hot sauce on scrambled eggs? i like it

weezerchic
Sat, Jan-13-07, 18:31
I'll try the "yummy eggs" approach. Right now, I fix scrambled eggs with Parmesan-Romano cheese on them. Really good. For a real change, I warm up a half of a can of corned beef (NOT hash!) and fry three eggs sunnyside up in a separate frying pan. I use butter and olive oil to fry the corned beef and just butter for the eggs. When they are done I just put them on top of the corned beef on a plate and eat them with a spoon. Some good!
this sounds good too

lilli
Sat, Jan-27-07, 14:57
We eat eggs and sour cream a lot. There's something equally or even more delicious, though...My dad always used to do this when i was a kid to our eggs- cream cheese. Add some cream cheese to the eggs right before they come out of the pan, so it gets all melt-y. Veryyyy good.

Kiley
Sun, Apr-15-07, 10:08
this was "EGG"CELLENT!! (ha ha that was dumb)

bel4fan
Tue, May-08-07, 07:19
Good ideas! I get tired of eggs quickly!

deniselisa
Fri, Jun-15-07, 21:05
I had an omlette similiar to this at a restaurant in Lake Tahoe. The omlette consisted of eggs (of course), smoked ham (like black forrest) and diced green chiles (ortega mild green chilies). This is mixed in the egg, cooked, and cheese is melted down the center. It was topped with sour cream and it was delicious!

emily30
Fri, Jun-15-07, 21:26
I throw a tablespoon of Hellman's mayo in my scrambled eggs before cooking them and I usually add a splash of Frank's Red Hot sauce before putting them on the plate. They are so fluffy and the flavor is awesome! Very addictive!

I have not tried sour cream, but now I will. Thanks for the tip.

grannyscat
Sat, Jul-07-07, 22:15
I cooked up a bit of onion, added one of those "finger" sausages which I sliced really thin, then added some black olives and cooked it all in coconut oil . Took it out of the pan, whipped 3 eggs with 3 T. cream, poured it into the pan (I used CO.) As it cooked I kept lifting the edges to let the unset eggs run under to make an omelet. Then I added some sliced cheddar cheese, put the onion mix back in, folded it over. It was the best! omelet I've ever had...really!

rightnow
Sat, Jul-07-07, 22:40
I sometimes add either pesto, or some enchilada sauce (green or red) to my scrambles. That's pretty good. Helps to add something else with a little more texture if you do though, like small-diced cheese or chopped chicken or something.

Walmart sells these sausages in the deli section, they are pre-cooked chicken sausages with various flavors; I like the jalapeno and pepper jack. I take off the casing, slice them thin, and grill the slices in the pan in chili oil till browned, then do the egg scramble in that pan so they have those flavors added.

One time I put a few pepperoni slices (I get the large sandwich pepperoni in the deli and have it sliced on 10 (normal is 25 I think) so it's real thin) on a paper plate, nuked it for 1 min so they were crispy, then made an omelette and put those and some mozz and the tiniest bit of spaghetti sauce in it and red pepper flakes on top. (I should have added scallions and black olives!) It was like an omelette pizza and surprisingly good.

crhogan
Sun, Jul-08-07, 16:11
For a quick and tasty scrambled egg, I spray a microwave safe bowl with vegetable spray (like Pam), crack an egg and scramble it with salt and pepper, and then add one American cheese slice torn into pieces and pepper jack cheese (slivered slices to taste) that really makes the egg tasty. Microwave for 55-60 seconds. Easy to make and easy to clean up!

patricia1
Thu, Jul-19-07, 09:35
Ok, I had my doubt on this one, but being so bored with eggs these days, I figured I might as well try it.

OMG!!! I'm in love with eggs once again! Who knew sour cream could add so much flavour?

Thank you for posting this Kareny!

~Patricia

Krissych
Fri, Oct-05-07, 07:33
My favorite egg recipe is salmon omlette.

Wild salmon streak cooked and broken into chunks. (Slightly undercooked)
Cook together with eggs and freshly cut chives to make a delicious omlette.

Add a large spoonfull of plain unsweatened yogurt to garnish.

Pure heaven!

montanasun
Tue, Oct-30-07, 16:03
All the ideas sound great. I have never tried the sour cream so I will have to do that tomorrow. Thanks

BluePants
Tue, Oct-30-07, 17:57
For a quick and tasty scrambled egg, I spray a microwave safe bowl with vegetable spray (like Pam), crack an egg and scramble it with salt and pepper, and then add one American cheese slice torn into pieces and pepper jack cheese (slivered slices to taste) that really makes the egg tasty. Microwave for 55-60 seconds. Easy to make and easy to clean up!
Sounds like an egg mcmuffin. What about laying in a slice of ham or canadian bacon. Thanks for the idea

Kora
Tue, Dec-25-07, 22:58
I get bored with eggs especially since; scrambeled with cheese is my fav. Lately, I have tried eating my eggs with sour cream and a teaspoon or two of salsa. Yummy!!!!!!!

bsheets
Wed, Dec-26-07, 03:45
What about leftovers?

My "pasta sauce" has beef, tomato, onion, mushroom, a little bacon, spinach and herbs that I love. Which of course I eat without the pasta.

Just then I cracked 5 or so (I put in less at first but needed more bulk) eggs into a pan and scooped a couple of heaped tbsp of leftover pasta sauce into it.

I ended up with an egg scramble flavoured with meat and veggies and yummy herbs. And it took 3mins, 5 eggs and it totally stretches out my leftovers. And that scramble will easily last me 2-3meals itself. Woohoo! I love leftovers!

e

*macgirl*
Sun, Apr-20-08, 11:08
Thank you so much for this idea because I'm not a huge egg fan either! I had this for breakfast and I just scrambled a couple of eggs with a tbs of cream cheese for lunch and that was yummy as well!

Trrrracey
Tue, Apr-22-08, 00:07
Sour cream! I knew I left something off my shopping list tonight. I may have to go back to the grocery store tomorrow...

Sensei_D
Thu, May-29-08, 13:44
Most of these posts are a couple of years old, but I'll weigh in on this topic anyway. These are all great suggestions for how to diversfy the way to prepare eggs, thanks for the reminder. I like to add a bit of minced onion, a pinch of pepper flakes, white pepper, asiago cheese, and a pat of cold butter to my scrambled eggs, as they are slowly cooking, then as they are served I put a sprinkling of shredded medium cheddar cheese on top. The perfect accompaniment is a few strips of applewood smoked bacon or a grilled ham steak, or both, if you are really hungry. :yum: The best part about scrambled eggs is you are only limited by your imagination. :cool:

keiramok
Mon, Aug-15-11, 10:14
that sounds simple and delicious!
i usually do scramble eggs with just pepper and ham

yamfry50
Thu, Aug-18-11, 15:40
I totally know where you are coming from! I tried adding greek yogurt as I didn't have any milk left...I thought it was get really heavy but it gave it the most AMAZING taste. I also added a dash of dry onion soup.

Fabulouso!

stanic
Tue, Aug-30-11, 06:03
I make a mock pancake out of my eggs. 2 eggs a tsp of ground flax and a tsp of phylum fiber a dollop of sour cream. a tsp of splenda or a packet of stevia and a sprinkle of cinnamon. fry in pan turning once. then I just add SF syrup.

luvsandsun
Mon, Feb-06-12, 22:21
Thanks for these great ideas!! Hard boiled eggs are my staple breakfast (simple and delicious) but it can get boring. I do have scrambled with cheddar twice a week or so. But tomorrow I will be trying my eggs scrambled with sour cream. :yum:

DAGrant
Tue, Feb-07-12, 20:19
I'm going to have to try some of these!

0Angel0
Tue, Feb-07-12, 21:51
I've been adding sour cream to scrambled eggs for years. Believe it or not I got the idea from a Paula Deen episode lol!

Buttoni
Wed, Feb-08-12, 10:18
I love sour cream (or cream cheese) added to scrambled eggs!

I think I've posted this recipe on the forums before, but this recipe is really a different way to have scrambled eggs, too. http://buttoni.wordpress.com/2010/02/08/eggs-with-tarragon-cream/ I'm not so fond of eggs or omelets, and these little tricks to make them tastier really help me a lot.

Sonia567
Sun, Apr-22-12, 11:54
I get bored of eggs, too, even though I love them.... The sour cream added to scrambled eggs is delish! I will have to try the cream cheese idea, too.

Another idea I got from my MIL is to add a pat of butter to boiled eggs. (I know, who would have thought.....?)

It won't work with cold boiled; you have to use hot (or still warm) boiled eggs, cut them up, add S/P and a pat of butter on top, then try and mix it up so the melting butter gets on most of the eggs. It gives the eggs a lovely, creamy texture.

Wezi
Tue, May-01-12, 13:52
I find I miss my fried eggs with bacon. Theres nothing like buttered toast to dip into the yolks! So...I made cheese crisps ( spray a saucer with pam add couple tbl. shredded cheddar, mic for 2.20 seconds) let cool a minute, butter it and use in place of crispy toast to dip in my yolks! Crunchy, buttery and cheesey...yum! Another is 3 boiled eggs, peel under cold water then hot again when naked, chop up and add butter...couple pieces of bacon...love this!

Amanda1978
Tue, May-01-12, 14:12
I find I miss my fried eggs with bacon. Theres nothing like buttered toast to dip into the yolks!

That's the only way I used to eat eggs when I was a kid. Now I dip my bacon or sausage in them and the kids do it too. My youngest told her grandmother she was crazy when she saw her eating toast with eggs one day. I never offer toast with eggs here at home so when she finally noticed someone else eating toast with eggs she just couldn't wrap her little brain around the concept. :lol: Of course my diabetic MIL thought it was a real shame that my kids didn't know that toast obviously gets eaten with eggs.

stanic
Thu, Jun-20-13, 04:26
I don't eat eggs too much since they did get old fast I make a faux pancake with flaxmeal and sour cream then fry and add sf syrup not the real thing but not bad