PDA

View Full Version : Is Splenda always bad?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Sango
Tue, Aug-12-03, 07:34
I was really craving coffee this morning and I was stuck at home for my home inspection, and the only thing around was the instant coffee sweetened with Splenda. I remember reading somewhere on this forum that artificial sweeteners weren't allowed except at RM, but I just got the book last night and it says diet sodas are allowed all day long??

KittenLady
Tue, Aug-12-03, 16:48
Hi, Sango -- Some people have problems with Splenda because it causes an insulin spike in some people (like me). I'd be cautious -- it could start a craving.

Zuleikaa
Tue, Aug-12-03, 16:51
You can have coffee with splenda and milk or cream once a day if you drink it within 15 minutes. Otherwise you must drink it plain and black.

The problem with drinking/using splenda, as many CADers have found, is that to a CA anything that tastes sweet can cause a rise in insulin levels and stall you even when you're not aware of hunger or cravings. That being said, a few CADers can tolerate diet soda.

I usually suggest that when starting CAD you eliminate diet drinks and spenda, except for that morning coffee, for the first three weeks. That way when you add some in later you'll know how it's affecting your body because you'll know how your body feels clean.

I further suggest that after the three weeks when you use splenda, you only have it with a meal or after you've eaten a meal. That will buffer the effect.

The Hellers explain the effect AS can have on CAs in CALP which is a later book than CAD.

lowco
Wed, Aug-13-03, 19:03
MY cravings disappeared, clear facial skin, and reduced hunger as a result of eliminating AS at cm.
I've also stoped coffee with milk. I was using way more than the recommended quantity of milk. Everything else has remained the same, except i have not binged since. I am one day going to try black coffee to see if it's a trigger for me. I've read that black coffee reduces hunger. That's what i may need since i get hungry at 10 am, and i can't have a cm cause my employer allows no eats during working hours, only drink. I no longer feel good eaing before 10am.

kokle
Thu, Aug-14-03, 08:14
I used to get sugar cravings from Equal(Nutrasweet, Aspartame) , but do not get them from Splenda. It depends on each person. I usually drink water, diet soda on occassions. (not daily)

Signey
Fri, Aug-15-03, 23:22
I was not aware that it could cause stalls and not effect appetite. I've been drinking diet soda because I figured since it didn't cause cravings it was o.k. I know better now and will cut them out except for RM's. Thanks for the tip Zule! :)
Signey