PDA

View Full Version : KENT... please reply: Valerian Root and Candida

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

wendysmili
Wed, Aug-06-03, 17:03
Hi Kent,

Do you of any reason I should not take Valerian Root while I am fighting candida? I suffer from an anxiety disorder. I'm having probs w/ my med and am going to holistic means.

Thanks!

Kent
Fri, Aug-15-03, 18:31
Hi Wendysmili,

Sorry, I have no information on valerian root.

Kent :wave:

doreen T
Fri, Aug-15-03, 20:56
I searched high and low, and couldn't find any information about valerian root being a problem with candida ... so I would say that it's probably ok to take it. Just be sure that the form of the herb won't provoke candida yeast.

So .. liquid extract should be water-based; some glycerine is ok since that won't promote yeast. Alcohol-based extracts are out of the question. Powdered herb may only be acceptable as long as it's sealed in a capsule, and the container is free from contaminants. Dried root or root powder bought in bulk at a health food store shouldn't be used, as there's increased risk of mold and yeast contamination. Valerian tea is the same, too much risk of mold growth. Besides, it tastes rather skunky :p

hth,

Doreen

2bthinner!
Thu, Sep-11-03, 06:45
http://www.mothernature.com/Library/bookshelf/Books/15/29.cfm

it says it may actually help inhibit it. Two jobs for the price of one! I use it too. It does stink though. Supposedly, that is a sign of a good, strong herb. However, if you are allergic to ragweed, you may react to this. My daughter broke out in hives after taking this, so just be aware. =) But, my mother, who also is allergic to blooming things, has no problem... =\