PDA

View Full Version : I think I got the wrong book!!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Kristi
Tue, Jul-17-01, 15:44
Hi -

I'm so glad to have found this site. I stumbled upon it while searching for breakfast ideas(I'm getting tired of eggs and bacon).
I've been on the Atkins diet for about 2 months and have lost 12 pounds. The biggest difference I've noticed is that my craving for CHOCOLATE is gone. I've noticed everyone talking about 20 carbs a day -
I have the Diet Revolution which starts out with virtually no carbs then adds about 8 per week. Are there any other major differences (I should just buy the book, right ;) )? Or anyone that has had an experience with "The Diet Revolution" vs "The New Diet Revolution"? Also I would appreciate any breakfast ideas that does not include eggs and bacon!

Thanks

Kristi

doreen T
Tue, Jul-17-01, 16:17
Congratulations on the 12 lb loss, that's terrific!

Dr. Atkins published his original Diet Revolution in mid 70's ... and as you described ... started out with near-zero carbs, then gradual increments up to whatever level. His New Diet Revolution was published in 1992, rev. '99 ... the difference between the two programs is that he discovered in the 20 years between editions, that the same weight loss could be "induced" at a higher initial carb level of 20 gm per day. You follow this 20 gm Induction level for 2 weeks, then increase carbs by 5 gm per day, per week for Ongoing Weight Loss, or OWL.

The basic premise of the two programs is the same. The higher carb level in the beginning allows for variety, more salads and vegetables. In terms of marketability ... the newer program is more palatable. Some folks stay at the 20 gm level for much longer than 2 weeks ... which is fine, as long as adequate protein and FAT is consumed in its place.

The original program was successful then, it's successful now. I say, if it ain't broke, don't fix it!!! Ultimately the two programs reach a parallel anyway. Perhaps your local library would have a copy of the New DR .... you could take a few notes, compare ... and also, there are a few more recipes too ;) .. He devotes a few more chapters (in the new DR) to other health concerns, Candida yeast syndrome, and vitamins and supplements, which you may or may not find useful.

Look forward to reading all about your lowcarb success!

Doreen