PDA

View Full Version : [SS] Not losing!!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

BonMom
Mon, Aug-04-03, 10:47
I'm new to the website (today). This is just what I've been looking for. My husband and I have been Sommersizing for one week now, and neither one of us are losing any weight. Is this normal? Also, this is difficult to ask, but is it common to have extremely loose bowels with this? (My problem, not my husbands). We've been having Grape-Nuts in the morning, and I thought that was it, so I quit that after day number 3. It's still happening. Any suggestions?

Mamabeek
Mon, Aug-04-03, 11:56
It's not unusual at all to take a while to begin "the melt" as Suzanne calls it. You go through a sort of purging period where you are getting rid of all the nastiness you've been eating and your body is adjusting to the new Way of Eating (WOE). I started losing after about 4 days, but I had been eating a somewhat low carb diet to begin with and I ate almost no carbs at all the first couple of weeks until I found an all carbs meal I liked.

I actually had the opposite problem with my bowels. Too much cheese and not enough fiber stopped me up! :blush: But whenever you make a major diet change it is possible this will happen.

You might try starting a journal of what you eat each day so that you can evaluate your diet a little better. That would allow us to answer your questions better too. Check out the Journal forums and see if that idea appeals to you. For example, have you been eating many artificial sweeteners since you changed your eating habits? The sugar alcohols in many SF candies can cause gas and soft stools. Look for Maltitol, Lacticol, Sorbitol or any other "itol" in the ingredient list if you are eating these. Some people are quite sensitive to them and cannot eat them at all.

Grapenuts are perfectly legal and very yummy but they are also have one of the highest carb counts off all the legal cereals you can eat. For example, the Hi-Lo cereal I like to eat has 7 effective carbs whereas I think Grapenuts has 43! (subtract the fiber grams from the carbs grams to get the "effective" carbs) So even while you are staying within the rules you can make food choices that will make your weight loss go faster or slower. I lost fine eating Grape Nuts, but only two or three times a week and not every morning.

Here are a few things that can interfere with weight loss even when you are following the plan carefully:
Eating too many carb meals
Eating carbs late in the day
Eating too much fat (many people overdo on this at first)
Eating too many artificial sweeteners
Eating too much fruit
Eating too soon before you go to bed

Each person is a little different so you will have to experiment and see what works for you. At the start follow the plan as closely as you can and pay attention to her tips. For example she says to eat all you want, but she also says you will find yourself wanting less over time, so three helpings of mayo with every meal is probably not what she has in mind. She has lots of recipes for Level 1 desserts, but you will also notice that she only eats these herself a few times a week, not every day. (this one is my downfall) One thing I notice alot around here is that many people choose to overlook the part about caffeine. If it wakes you up and keeps you awake at night, or makes you jittery when you overdo, then it WILL affect your weight loss even in small quantities.

Just a few things I've observed since I started posting here. Hope they might be helpful to you.

I think Suzanne said it took her two months to begin losing, so don't be discouraged! Some people even gain a little at the beginning :exclm:, but if you read though the posts here you'll see nearly all of us have had good success on this plan.

Best of luck to you, and welcome to the gang!

MB :wave:

BonMom
Wed, Aug-06-03, 09:02
Okay, only 2 pounds, but I don't think I'd be any happier if it had been 20!! (Okay, not really.) :Party: I have cut my carbs the past two days (no more Grape Nuts). I'm just thrilled and I hope "the Melt" has begun!!

Mamabeek
Wed, Aug-06-03, 14:05
:cheer::cheer::cheer::cheer::cheer:
:yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay:
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Congratulations on the beginning of your journey DOWNWARD. You are now officially a loser. :lol:

I'm so pleased you're getting some results. Can't wait to see how you progress. Keep us informed please!

martha 1
Sun, Aug-10-03, 11:04
Hello,
I wanted to post a reply to the weight stall. You have just begun. It is easy to become discouraged when you start something new. Perhaps it is cravings that make you feel this is not going to work. I know for me my body is healing. My metabolism will speed up in time. I love this way of eating and I love the recipes.
I finally had my first loss after 62 day. RIGHT!!!! 62 days. Down 4 pounds. YIPEE!

Sandylee
Sun, Aug-10-03, 18:54
Yay Martha!!! You were very patient. 62 days!!!
Yay, Bon Mom!!! Don't worry if you don't lose that much right away. I am losing an average of 1/2 pound a week.

BUT

This is the best I have ever eaten in my life.

martha 1
Mon, Aug-11-03, 06:16
Hi Sandylee,
thank you so much for the congrats. We will get there!

Mamabeek
Tue, Aug-12-03, 02:05
62 days is a long time to wait and have faith that the WOE will work. CONGRATULATIONS on your 4 pounds gone!! :yay: :yay: :yay:

martha 1
Tue, Aug-12-03, 04:45
MB,

Thank you! I certainly agree, but so worth it if serious to rehab metabolism.

rlbeggs
Mon, Aug-25-03, 20:31
I have lost about 17 lbs since the middle of June. I had hoped my very overweight husband would "jump on the weight loss bandwagon" but it was just optimistic thinking. We went on a vacation and his weight kept us from enjoying some really interesting museums, etc. I apologize for venting, but a word to others who are losing weight...congratulations and keep it up!!

martha 1
Tue, Aug-26-03, 05:28
Hello,
I finally began loosing. I feel so happy, that finally the melt has begun, and I am validated I am doing Suzanne's somersizing correct.

Sandylee
Tue, Aug-26-03, 14:20
Oh Martha, that is fantastic! Can you share some details with us? Like what types of meals you are eating? You are inspiring me; I seem to be on a stall but I still want to stick with this; I feel it in my bones that the melt is coming.

Sandy

AZDean
Tue, Aug-26-03, 16:07
I have lost about 17 lbs since the middle of June. I had hoped my very overweight husband would "jump on the weight loss bandwagon" but it was just optimistic thinking. We went on a vacation and his weight kept us from enjoying some really interesting museums, etc.
Hi! I am/was very overweight too, and I also haven't been able to do a lot of things I'd like to do with my wife and kids. But after I turned 40, I knew I'd have to do *something*, like have a stomach operation. But when I looked into that, I didn't like the risk of doing it and you still have to be on a diet after the operation anyways.

And then a friend told my about Somersizing and it sounded good to me as the Atkins was just too strict. I started in June and have lost about 40 pounds now, but the thing that gets me the most is how much I like it. I like eating the food. I don't feel hungry. And I only have to say NO to the foods that I know are bad for me.

Now, I wonder why I didn't do this before! But then I didn't know about it before. Another thing I like is the Schwartzbein idea that you aren't just eating to lose weight, you are eating so your body will live longer. By eating right, you avoid degenerative diseases that shorten your life. And if you lose that weight, you can do things you've always wanted to do. So, it seems smart to give it a good try.

Note, I never really tried dieting in my life before this, except for two weeks on the Atkins diet. I just couldn't stand the thought of starving myself. But I certainly don't starve on this diet. In fact, with eating two snacks a day between meals, I'm usually eating more now than I used to.

I also like the fact that it isn't the number of calories you eat, it's what types of food you eat. So, this diet isn't a matter of cutting back, it's a matter of changing what foods you eat (and when).

One more thing I like is that level one of the Atkins diet is really strict, but to me, level one of Somersizing is something I could live on as is. I don't even care about level two.

I hope that helps get your husband going...

Best regards,
Dean

martha 1
Wed, Aug-27-03, 05:55
hello Sandylee,
Nice to chat with you. thank you for the perks. Feels kind of nice to be on the list, he,he.

One suggetion would be to eat those carb meals,either breakfast or lunch. Our bodies need the energy from the carbs so fit them in. I was afraid at first and eventually the regulars convinced me.
Stay off the scale, go by how your clothing fit. The scale can be a negative affect on our plan, so weigh in once a month. Fill up on the positve feelings and plan plan plan
good luck.