PDA

View Full Version : New. Tried Atkins for a week. Heard positive things about the Zone....

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Michelle78
Sun, Jul-15-01, 18:27
I started the Atkins diet 7 days ago, and to this day I've stuck with it. Then today, after talking to a lady at the health store, I started wondering if this was the right diet for me. She told me all about the Zone, and how it is supposed to be healthier long-term, etc. I figured I'd buy the book and try to decide for myself which one I'd rather be on. I only want to lose about 10 lbs. And I don't care if it takes a few months to do it, as long as I don't gain any weight. I like to be able to eat a variety of foods, which I see more of in the Zone diet. I am only 22 years old, and I feel that because of my previous bad eating habits I am starting to feel much older than I should at this age (ie: aching when I get up in the morning, moodiness, stress, some weight gain, etc) Someone with any advice, please email me. Right now I am very confused on which diet is best for me and I could use and helpful words you are willing to offer. Also, I bought "Mastering the Zone" today, but the book is a little hard for me to follow. Could anyone explain the 'block' deal to me? Thanks a million!!

tamarian
Sun, Jul-15-01, 18:40
Hi Michelle,

Welcome aboard. You're on the right track for several reasons, you're willing to stick with it for a few months not expecting 10 lbs to disappear overnight and you are reading the books to educate yourself. Both plans are great long term (some dieters think their diet is THE WAY and other plans are just short term :) but any low-carb plan should work, just chose the one that suits you). Since you started with Atkins, stick to it until you finish reading the Zone book, which will explains the "block" (I would have explained it, but I never read the Zone, just know a few who are happy with it). After reading, see which one you can stick with and can be tailored to your lifestyle.

Good luck, and looking forward to hearing about your progress.

Wa'il

debbiedobson
Mon, Jul-16-01, 17:04
welcome michelle!:D i don't follow the zone, but i've read the first book and the recipe book. the book you have is the 2nd book. if you're interested in following the zone, get the first book as well. it's just called the zone. maybe then the mastering the zone will make more sense to you!:D good luck with whichever program you follow and keep us updated!:D

deelight_99
Mon, Jul-30-01, 09:11
Hi Michelle,

Zone blocks take a couple of weeks to master, but then it's usually automatic.

Here is a quick rundown:

1 carb block = 9g carbohydrates
1 protein block = 7g protein (absolutely no fat)
1 fat block = 3g fat

However, since most meats (even lean cuts) tend to have some fat "hanging around", he recommends assuming that your protein source already has 1.5g fat. Therefore 1 fat block = 1.5g fat.

What you need to do, EVERYTIME YOU EAT, is have equal BLOCKS of food. Not equal grams. For example, an average meal for a woman is a 3 block meal. You would have 3 carb blocks (e.g. 1c green beans[1block] and 1 apple[2blocks), 3 protein blocks (e.g. 3oz. of chicken), and 3 fat blocks (e.g. cook your chicken in 1tsp. of olive oil[3blocks]).

I hope this helps somewhat!

Deanna

tamarian
Mon, Jul-30-01, 09:16
Hi Deanna,

Thanks for explaining the block concept! I wonder if you checked our ne project here:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=68

We could use a summary for the Zone, and you've already summarized a good portion of it :)

Wa'il

deelight_99
Mon, Jul-30-01, 09:21
Wa'il,

No problem. I will get started on something ASAP.

Deanna

tamarian
Mon, Jul-30-01, 09:48
Great! Much appreciated!

Wa'il