PDA

View Full Version : But Where Does the Energy Come From...? (New member)

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Dick
Sun, Jul-15-01, 12:25
Since carbohydrates contribute energy to the system, do low carb diets make up for this with added protein? I love to walk and ride a bike, and I don't want to start feeling fatigued, nor do I want to eat an unhealthy amount of red meat and fats. I am preparing to begin this low-carb diet but am researching it well first, thus my question here (and probably several more to come). Thanks.

Karen
Sun, Jul-15-01, 12:51
Hello Dick,

Very simplistically...

With a low carb way of eating, fat is used for energy. If there are no carbohydrates present, you burn your own or dietary fat.

Our bodies produce and store fat (cholesterol) in the absence of fat. With fat in the diet, there is no need for our bodies to store it. The key is finding the right individual balance.

Carbohydrates that are not burned can be stored as fat. Some of us are very inefficient carbohydrate burning units.

Research into this way of eating is one of the paths to success. There is a really good explanation for how it all works in the book Protein Power. Check out the Studies and Tips section in the red bar at the top of the page. Lots of goodies and "food" for thought.

Karen
(Red Meat and Fat Eater)

ShirleyL
Tue, Jul-17-01, 11:12
I'm sure it's different for everyone, but I had a HUGE increase in energy after the first few days. I also began doing 30 minutes of aerobics and 30 minutes of weights (every other day on weights).

I still have boundless energy! And I'm not eating no carbs except those that may be hidden in foods (lettuce, tomatoes, eggs, etc.).

Wherever it comes from, I sure as heck hope it stays!

Shirley
Florida