PDA

View Full Version : Tomato Soup

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Kristine
Mon, Jul-15-02, 18:24
I just invented this after trying to duplicate President's Choice "Cream of Tomato With Parmesan and Basil" soup, which is loaded with flour carbs. It turned out really well!

1 Tbsp Butter
2 Tbsp Chopped onion
1/2 cup stock or water
2 medium tomatoes, coarsely chopped
1/2 tsp basil, or to taste
1/4 cup cream
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese

Saute onion in butter. Add stock, bring to boil (I used water from boiling veggies earlier in the day.) Add tomatoes and basil, simmer 5 min or until soft. Remove from heat. With blender, purree to desired consistancy. Return to heat. Stir in cream and cheese, heat just until hot. Makes two servings. Enjoy!

For entire recipe: cal=385, fat=31g, carb=15g, protein=14g.

agonycat
Mon, Jul-15-02, 19:28
Kristine this sound fabulous. It is a bit hot in Texas right now for soup however as soon as the weather cools down I am making this!

My hubby and I both LOVE tomato soup.

Kristine
Tue, Jul-16-02, 14:36
Heh - it's hot here, too, but my b/f cranks up the air conditioner to "polar" and I freeze. :eek: I love my tomato soup, too. Well, I'm now convinced that you don't need the flour to make a nice creamy soup.

(Now I just have to figure out how to get pulverized tomatoes off the walls. :D )

Cheers!

GoldenLady
Sat, Jul-20-02, 05:25
hi i love the soup but is carb=15g is a lot atkins say carb by date 20g
so what i am new and lost

ptjody
Tue, Aug-13-02, 18:08
Autumn is coming and with that I look forward to warm soups on those cold evenings after work. I am planning on fixing this. Thank you for sharing. :wave:

Kristine
Fri, Aug-23-02, 18:04
Hey Goldenlady, sorry I didn't notice your post sooner. Anyway, that 15 g of carbs was for the whole recipe - I got two bowls out of it. Also, I forgot to subtract the fiber. Values *per bowl*:

194 cal, 16 g fat, 7 g protein, 7 g effective carb.

icefire
Mon, Jul-28-03, 00:18
Ok I was playing with a tomato soup recipe I found on here. It came out pretty decent, still a little tart, but that may have been cause they were a variety of homegrown tomatoes. Anyway, here's what I came up with.
Any tips or suggestions people have I will gladly take.

Cream of Tomato Soup

3 TBS butter
1/2 chopped onion
2 C chopped tomato
1/2 heavy cream
salt and pepper, to taste

Saute onion on medium in butter till translucent. Add tomato and cook approximately 10 minutes. Cool slightly then blend till smooth. (I should have strained it at this point, if you don't you will have some small pieces of skin, but if you want smooth, strain it.) Place in saucepan and slowly add cream, heating on low heat. Add salt and pepper. Taste. Add approximately 1/4 to 1/2 packet of splenda if tart. If still tart add a very small smidgen of baking soda.

Makes 4 to 5 1/2 cup servings.
Total recipe 27 g carb, 5 g fiber.
So 5.5 g carbs per serving at 4 servings, 4.5 g carbs at 5 servings.

geo53562
Mon, Jul-28-03, 02:29
I'm gonna try this out on my wife...she's an original connoisseur of cream of tomato, and she hasn't had a drop in the 10 weeks we've been eating LC. I'm guessing a little Italian Seasoning might find its way into the pot during the prep, depending on the cook's taste-tests, of course. Now, if I could just come up with a LC version of French Onion Fromage...!

Thanks for sharing!

icefire
Mon, Jul-28-03, 09:38
A tiny bit of italian seasoning might do well.
I actually have a recipe for a LC French onion that isn't too bad. It's actually a French onion with tomato, not quite traditional french onion, but overall not bad. I'll have to look it up and post it later.

geo53562
Mon, Jul-28-03, 14:39
I will await with bated breath! Soups are a mainstay in our house during the Fall/Winter, and successfully keeping with the Atkins program is probably going to require substitute recipes for a lot of our old favorites.

icefire
Wed, Aug-06-03, 22:34
Ok, tried it again, half a packet of splenda and ripe picked tomatoes made the difference. I strained it this time and it came out much better.

I'm gonna start a new thread to post the french onion soup recipe I have.

Kristine
Tue, Mar-23-04, 12:46
A.K.A. CIROOG soup. "Crap. I ran out of groceries."

Someday, I'm going to try to come up with a good LC mulligatawny soup. In the meantime, I've run out of groceries and came up with this:

2 Tbsp butter (I used clarified butter) or chicken fat, if you're using homemade broth
2 Tbsp chopped onion
1/4 sweet red pepper, diced
1 heaping Tbsp curry powder, or to taste
(optional: I upped the stakes with a pinch of cayenne pepper)
1/4 can each tomato paste and diced tomatoes (smaller sized cans for both)
1 cup chicken broth
1/4 cup half and half (you could use heavier cream, but that's all I have.)

Melt butter in a sauce pan. Add onion and pepper, cook until onions are translucent. Add curry powder, cook until the whole neighborhood smells like curry. :) Add tomatoes, paste and chicken broth. Bring to a boil, simmer for 10 minutes. Add cream, reheat if necessary.

Mmmmm. :yum:

Makes two servings.

Per serving:

18 g fat
12 g carbs - 3 g fiber = 9 effective carbs
6 g protein

566 g potassium, 45% of your Vit A and 73% Vit C. :cool:

Remember, I used half n half, so you could easily lower the carb count by using a smaller amount of whipping cream. You could also boost the protein count with some chicken. :thup:

Kristine
Fri, Jul-09-04, 11:02
I whipped up this soup as an attempt at using up broth that I may have otherwise thrown out, but it turned out so good, I'm making it again today!

First, you need the chicken broth:

Rub about 1/4 cup of Cajun seasoning into 3 medium or 4 small chicken leg quarters, or equivalent amount of other on-bone chicken parts. Add about 1/2 inch of water to the roasting pan. Roast the chicken, refridgerate the broth. There should be about 1 cup.

Enjoy the chicken. :yum: Now for the soup:

One recipe of cajun spiced chicken broth
1/4 cup chopped onion
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 sweet red pepper, chopped
1 large can whole tomatoes
S & P to taste
about 1/4 cup heavy cream

Skim the solid fat off the broth and heat in a saucepan over low/med heat. Fry onions, garlic and pepper for 2-3 minutes. Add tomatoes. Simmer for about 15 min. Pour into a blender and puree, or very carefully puree with a hand blender. Add salt, pepper and cream, return to simmer and serve.

MisterE
Fri, Jul-09-04, 11:03
Sounds wonderful! Thanks for posting it!

Kisal
Sun, Nov-30-08, 14:30
Simple and Quick Tomato Soup
Recipe by The Lazy Low carb Cook ( :lol: That's me! :lol: )

1 8 oz can tomato sauce (buy the lowest carb brand you can find)
1/2 c. water
1/4 to 1/2 c. heavy whipping cream (add more or less to adjust the thickness to your liking)
Basil to taste, either dried or fresh, whichever you prefer

Stir all ingredients together in saucepan, heating gently over medium heat. Serve.

I like various garnishes, depending on my mood at the time: crumbled bacon; a pat of butter; Oopsie rolls diced into cubes and fried until crispy; chopped chives; a light sprinkle of dillweed. Use your imagination! :)

Annie1gi
Sun, Nov-30-08, 15:19
Hey now that sounds delish!!!! I will definitely try it.

Thank you Kisal :wave:

Kisal
Sun, Nov-30-08, 16:43
Do let me know how you like it! :)

I will post my recipe for "Cream of Whatever Veggie You Need to Use Up" soup, too, as soon as I can find it. :lol:

y0u
Sun, Nov-30-08, 20:54
I am all over this!! I have a bunch of tomato sauce I canned from this summer. Thanks Kisal.

egnue
Sat, Jan-10-09, 16:11
This is killer yummy!

JAnn
Sat, Jan-10-09, 16:56
Thanks, Kisal. I know I need to get back to eating soups for lunch.

SylvieK
Wed, Feb-18-09, 09:33
I made this with Muir Glen tomato sauce, no sugar or additives; easy and really good. I also used organic sun-dried tomato slices from the farmer's market. I think the cinnamon gives it a nice touch.

- Finely chop a couple of shallots or small onions or combination; saute in butter; add about 6 sun-dried tomato slices (or pieces of sun-dried tomato) and continue sauteeing until shallots/onions just begin to brown.

- Add one 8 oz. can tomato sauce plus a can of water.

Simmer on low heat for 10 minutes; add more water if it gets too thick.

Season with 1/4 t cinammon, 1/4 t black pepper.

I cooled and put it in the fridge overnight, heated it up the next day; before serving added a swirl of heavy cream.