PDA

View Full Version : Hi-new user and excited about it!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

emilylou
Tue, Jul-22-03, 13:43
Hi

I am new to this all-on line support, lo-carb lifestyle, sharing openly. I am looking forward to it. I am trying this approach more for compulsive eating issues as opposed to weight loss. I am pretty sure that carbs are a major trigger for me. I am hoping by trying this approach I will be able to stabalize my weight (I tend to flucuate in a 15lb range) and make eating/not eating less of an issue in my life. I am excited to see a vegetarian forum exists, because I try to avoid animal products. I can't quite claim full vegetarianism. I find it hard to limit all of my options, given my history with food.

Anyway, looking forward to talking to many of you and garnering some support on my journey!

PS-I posted this in the wrong place orignially. Also, my profile says Atkins, but I am actually trying Protein Power.

Shadow01
Tue, Jul-22-03, 15:50
Welcome, emilylou :) ! I am not vegetarian but I do recall the Eadeses covering the topic in their books. As a recovering binger/bulemic, I can tell you that this WOE is absolutely wonderful!!! It is so nice to be free of the constant hunger, mood swings, energy slumps and all the other negatives we've come to expect from carbage! I wish you great success!

emilylou
Tue, Jul-22-03, 16:05
It is nice to hear from someone who can relate to the bulimic/bingeing issues. I've been everything from anorexic (when I was 12) to bulimic (purged with laxatives and exercise) to compulsively eating. I am frustrated, and have turned my nose up at the lo carb stuff since it came out. I had a breakthrough a few weeks ago, after what amounted to about 3 weeks of massive sugar consumption. I felt HORRIBLE-my color was off, I was lethargic, my body felt like lead. Something finally hit me-maybe carbs are not only a huge trigger for me, but also make me physically feel bad. I rebounded by trying to eat low carb without researching too carefully, and returned to sugar. I am more hopeful now. I think the transition will be hard for me-i really believe I am an addict to both sugar and compulsive eating-but I based on what I see on this and other lo carb sites, I am hopeful. I would really love to not feel awful after I eat. A novel concept!

Shadow01
Tue, Jul-22-03, 16:37
Emilylou: You've already taken the biggest step deciding to change your WOE :thup: ! Your journey sounds much like mine (except I was anorexic at 18 and bulemic for the next 24/25 years). I used to be one of those pompous idiots who said (needless to say, without reading any information) that this WOE can't be healthy - all that fat - yada, yada, yada :nono: ! I am SO thankful I wisened up and shut up and read about low-carbing. Now my only regret is that I didn't start sooner! I didn't realize when I started that it would control the bingeing (and BTW, it got rid of my panic attacks too) but realized within a couple weeks that the bingeing was getting under control. I still slip up - but that's because I still haven't gotten my mind under control - I don't binge because physically I feel the need. The mental crutch will take longer to get rid of but there is hope and each day gets better :cool: . You'll soon be amazed at how good this WOL feels :D !

emilylou
Wed, Jul-23-03, 11:06
Shadow01: Again, thanks for the inspiring words! I was very interested to hear about the panic attacks going away-I recently started taking PAXIL because my anxiety levels were skyrocketing. I am on a low dose, with the intention of going off when my mood stabilizes. Now I am even more committed in my heart/head to this WOE, because of the stability potential. Hear what you are saying about the mind stuff, that takes so much longer!

Shadow01
Wed, Jul-23-03, 14:01
Emilylou: I certainly hope this WOE works on your anxiety like it did on mine!!! I didn't know when I started that it would help the panic attacks - but lo and behold, one day it dawned on me that I hadn't had one in weeks. It was such a blissful feeling to know they were gone :) ! Between losing the panic attacks and physical urges to binge, I can not foresee any reason why I'd ever give up this WOL :daze:. And then there's the fact that #1 - I am now at a lighter weight than I ever was in my entire adulthood and #2 for the first time in my life, I am actually maintaining that weight - not bouncing up and down like a yo yo! This is definitely the WOL for me :D