PDA

View Full Version : How's PP different than Atkins??

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

J.J.
Sun, Jul-20-03, 20:06
Is it better??? Is there a site I can visit without buying another book??

Shadow01
Mon, Jul-21-03, 07:20
Obviously I think PP is the way to go since that's the plan I follow :) . There is a site for PP - www.eatprotein.com - but, in all honesty, you'll get a lot more information and instruction by reading either PP or PPLP than you will from just visiting the site and reading the FAQ's. Is there maybe a library you could get the book from to read? Personally, I think it's very important to have as many details as possible about a plan in order to truly follow the plan as it's written.

J.J.
Mon, Jul-21-03, 11:48
Thanks Shadow01,

I'll see if the library has a copy! Were you on Atkins or you've always been on PP?

Shadow01
Mon, Jul-21-03, 15:20
Actually, I originally read Atkins and thought I had started induction, but comparing my book (1996, I think) to a friend's book (white cover, earlier edition) and to the Atkins web site, my induction list was different than theirs - and my book didn't mention subtracting fiber, etc - so I wasn't truly following induction depending on what source was used. In my frustration with the inconsistencies, I picked up a copy of PPLP. And from there on out, I became a PP follower. I could just relate to PP better than Atkins. There were no forbidden foods or specialized lists to follow to get started, and I think that was the deciding factor - along with what appeared, in my opinion, to be an overall healthier WOL.

I hope your library has a copy for you to read :) . I read PPLP first, but then wanted to read PP for the calculations for LBM, protein, etc, so I got a copy of it. Now I refer to both books on a regular basis. Hopefully you can get your hands on one or the other :) .

Rosebud
Mon, Jul-21-03, 17:19
Hi JJ,

While I definitely agree with Shadow that you should read PP and/or PPLP, you'll find a quick rundown of Protein Power in "Which low carb plan is right for me?" at the right side of the screen.

Although I'm still doing Atkins, I found the Protein Power book to be very helpful in explaining a lot of the "workings" of LC generally, so reading it is a good idea whether or not you choose to change plans. :)

Cheers.

:rose:Rosebud:rose:

J.J.
Mon, Jul-21-03, 20:14
Thanks Shadow and Rosebud,

I'll check out the PP and see what I think! I was just wondering what the majority of folks have best luck with, or if there is a preference!!

Have a great day!!!

JJ

Karen
Tue, Jul-22-03, 00:32
The Atkins name is pretty well synonymous with low-carbing and a lot of people don't realize that there are even other plans out there. For my money, there's nothing like PP!

Karen

J.J.
Tue, Jul-22-03, 06:09
Thanks Karen,

I guess what I'm looking for is:

Why do folks prefer PP over Atkins?

No one has really answered that yet! Do you find it to be easier to stick to or less restrictive? It appears you've had great success losing the weight at 84% and you own a restaurant??? How do you do it???

Just curious little 'ol me................JJ

skeeweeaka
Wed, Jul-23-03, 17:22
Well JJ...personally I prefer Protein Power because it is more flexible.... As long as the food item fits into my carb count for the day I eat it...even corn... For me the key was finding a way of eating that I could live with...that means something that is flexible... Also, Atkins advocates lots of packaged stuff and I don't care for those things... Also, too much fat was getting too me on Atkins... PP makes you calculate the minimum amount of protein needed for your body type...Atkins just says eat until full.... I've tried Atkins several times and failed... However, I have been on PP for over a month now and have not cheated once... It really just depends on the persons needs...as others have stated you have to figure out your needs and go with the plan that fits YOUR NEEDS!!!!

acohn
Fri, Jul-25-03, 14:47
I heard about Atkins from those on the diet, and the restrictions of induction didn't appeal to me. In addition, I read a bit of both Atkins and PPLP, and the PPLP explained the reasons why low-carbing worked better to me. Also, there was no emphasis on ketosis or measuring it -- one less bit of fuss.

I guess I also didn't like the cult of personality building up around Atkins.

skeeweeaka
Thu, Jul-31-03, 19:48
Well you've done terrificly on PP ACOHN... Hope that I am as successful as you have been. May I ask how long did it take you??? I have about the same amount to lose as you did....

Lynne61
Tue, Aug-05-03, 13:15
I went to the library and read every low carb book I could get my hands on, with the exception of South Beach, the recipes turned me off totally, so didn't bother reading. The P-Plan explains L/C really well & I was more inclined to stay on it vs the Atkins which is more restricting but somewhat vague. I got my book on E-Bay (a new copy) for $5 w/ shipping. Their cookbook is wonderful too, also borrowed it from the library. (Comfort Foods one). Good luck finding a plan you like. Lynne

Morgan1974
Thu, Aug-07-03, 09:38
Is it better??? Is there a site I can visit without buying another book??
I was happy with the Eades doctors until they shot that "Pentobasol" infomercial. Their credibility went down the tube (pardon the pun) for me at that time. Any doctor who promotes weight loss in a can, loses me. The information in their book is right-on, though, so that's what surprised me about that Pentobasol Infomercial. JMO :agree:

Morgan1974
Thu, Aug-07-03, 09:43
I guess I also didn't like the cult of personality building up around Atkins.

Oh, dear! Are we calling Atkins followers a cult? I'm sure I misunderstood your post. Even though I think Atkins is the only way to go, I would never imply that someone else's choice of a WOL is a cult. Sure hope I'm wrong here!

upncomer
Thu, Aug-07-03, 10:17
Ditto, Morgan.
I had been on Atkins for a little over a year and I guess I will always more closely follow the Atkins plan than any other. My only problem with Atkins was since it is much more strict than other plans, when I fell off of the wagon, I fell hard.
Now, I picked up the new PP "low carb for 30 days" book (don't quote me on the title, I can't remember it and it's not with me right now), and find it extremely easy to understand and begin a WOE. I lent my book to a couple of coworkers and they know that all they have to worry about is a certain number of carbs to eat per meal. It is a great book for those who don't want to wade through scientific or medical jargon.

Natrushka
Fri, Aug-08-03, 10:28
Oh, dear! Are we calling Atkins followers a cult? I'm sure I misunderstood your post. Morgan, I saw your post in the Atkins forum and just had to come see what all the fuss was about!

I think you may have misunderstood Acohn.

Cult of personality:

There is no standard definition of what a 'Cult of Personality' is. The term itself appears to post-date Max Weber, although Weber in his multiple voluminous works ties it up with a religious group that is dominated, founded or led by a single charismatic leader. Many groups are led by charismatic leaders, both within and outside of traditional offices of authority. A party that is bogged down in beurocracy may gain a charismatic leader just as much as a group of outcasts with no formal social structure may find themselves led by one. They arise in business, art, science, politics and every other field. Sometimes charismatic leaders can add much needed vital energy to a field, and sometimes they can cause instability and be a nuisance to ordered society.

The comment was directed at Dr. Atkins, not at people who use DANDR, and it is a compliment, IMHO. When you think of LC you think of one man, no? :)

As for 'selling out' - it's all relative. I bet there are people on this forum who were pretty upset when they discovered that the sugar alcohols in the Atkins LC bars they were eating stalled them. Let's face it - the authors of these plans need to make money to stay in business. The only charity work is done by the people who volunteer on forums like this!

Cheers,
Nat

Morgan1974
Fri, Aug-08-03, 11:19
[QUOTE=Natrushka]Morgan, I saw your post in the Atkins forum and just had to come see what all the fuss was about!

I think you may have misunderstood Acohn.

The comment was directed at Dr. Atkins, not at people who use DANDR, and it is a compliment, IMHO. When you think of LC you think of one man, no? :)

Nor do I think Dr. Atkins was a cult leader. I guess we just interpret the post differently; Nat, and that's ok. :thup:

I stand with my original post.

Have a good day :)

Natrushka
Fri, Aug-08-03, 11:37
Nor do I think Dr. Atkins was a cult leader. I guess we just interpret the post differently; Nat, and that's ok. :thup: Sorry, Morgan, I guess I didn't explain it well - my bad!

"Cult of Personality" has nothing to do with a 'cult', it's all about the "personality" and charisma of the individual at the centre of the movement. The goal of a personality cult is to make the leader and the movement seem synonymous, so it becomes impossible to comphrehend the existance of one without the other. The most famous "cult of personality" referred to Stalin. I don't know the original poster well enough to know if he/she used it knowing this - but acohn seems to have hit the LC nail on the proverbial head.

Atkins is probably the most known LC individual and he was / is synonymous with LC.

Nat

Arie
Fri, Aug-08-03, 12:08
People who make a choice of diet and follow it, become very protective of thier decision. The level of commitment needed to be successful in a diet is so high that people must believe in thier way in order to stick with it. This make peopel very "religous" about thier way of eating, and the feel that any one that is saying any thing negative about thier chosen diet, is attack thier decision and them personally.

So, yall calm down. I personally do believe that LC diets are the most effective, but to each his own.
People have different personalities, and each one of us finds somehting that make them stick to a diet better.

so which one is better? Yes!

Morgan1974
Fri, Aug-08-03, 12:14
Sorry, Morgan, I guess I didn't explain it well - my bad!

"Cult of Personality" has nothing to do with a 'cult', it's all about the "personality" and charisma of the individual at the centre of the movement. The goal of a personality cult is to make the leader and the movement seem synonymous, so it becomes impossible to comphrehend the existance of one without the other. The most famous "cult of personality" referred to Stalin. I don't know the original poster well enough to know if he/she used it knowing this - but acohn seems to have hit the LC nail on the proverbial head.

Atkins is probably the most known LC individual and he was / is synonymous with LC.

Nat

Yes, Atkins is probably the most well know "LC" advocate of today....I just don't always think of Atkins when I think of LC. Maybe I'm just too old! :cry: I was doing LC diets years before I ever heard the name Atkins. Years ago, the Military "LC 50" diet was the "in" thing.

This "Cult of Personality" is definitely a new feather in my cap and I'm a writer who reads constantly! :rolleyes: I'll have to research that. I just always think "Negatively" when I hear the word "cult." Normal reaction, I think.

I'm still not convinced the poster actually meant to pay anyone a compliment, though. (Stubborn, aren't I?) :lol:

Moving on.................... :roll:

Morgan1974
Fri, Aug-08-03, 12:18
People who make a choice of diet and follow it, become very protective of thier decision. The level of commitment needed to be successful in a diet is so high that people must believe in thier way in order to stick with it. This make peopel very "religous" about thier way of eating, and the feel that any one that is saying any thing negative about thier chosen diet, is attack thier decision and them personally.

So, yall calm down. I personally do believe that LC diets are the most effective, but to each his own.
People have different personalities, and each one of us finds somehting that make them stick to a diet better.

so which one is better? Yes!

I totally agree, Arie! I didn't realize anybody needed calming down. When Nat wrote that she "came over to see what the 'fuss' was all about", I was surprised! I didn't realize there was a fuss. But seems it's getting that way so I'm moving on..............

Karen
Sat, Aug-09-03, 00:47
Do you find it to be easier to stick to or less restrictive? It appears you've had great success losing the weight at 84% and you own a restaurant??? How do you do it???
How did I do it? I just made up my mind that I wanted to regain my health and stop the downward spiral more than I ever wanted a piece of bread or a chunk of chocolate. But being able to cook well also can get me into trouble in the low-carb dessert area. I'm too good at it for my own good! :rolleyes: I don't use grain because it triggers me, and have a bit of fruit, mostly fresh berries in the summer. I don't own the restaurant but I've been the executive chef there for eight years. After working in the industry for 26 years, I never want to own one! :)

At first glance, PP may seem easier to follow than Atkins because you start at a minimum of 30 grams per day or more, depending on your level of activity. What you can and can't eat is clearly spelled out and the book includes a table of portions with carb grams. Ketostix are never mentioned and although ketosis if talked about, there's not a lot of emphasis placed on it.

Right from the beginning you can include limited fruit - like half a peach, berries, a few apricots, etc. - and limited grains like a Wasa cracker. Lettuces are unlimited. You don't have to count them. You continue on at whatever your level of carbs is for weight loss and then increase them as you near your goal weight. The thirty plus grams offers a lot of flexibility right from the start so for some people, it may make it easier to turn it into a way of life.

From what I've seen - I do pop into the PP board every now and again - there's less of what I call carbanoia involved with PP. No matter what plan someone is following, there's always plenty of room for personal interpretation but being afraid of onions or tomatoes because they're thought of as being too high in carbs just seems plain weird to me.

To follow PP, you actually have had to read the book. No one says they're following PP the way some folks say they're following Atkins without knowing the first thing about it.

I think the PP book does a better job of explaining the process than DANDR. I do have the utmost respect for Dr. A because without his influence, the low-carb world would not be what it is today. Besides his name being synonymous with low-carb, it's also become synonymous with low-carb products which I find disconcerting. However, that does not negate the great work that he has done.

PP or Atkins? It doesn't matter. What matters is finding the plan you are most comfortable with for the long haul. If you follow both plans into maintenance, they're virtually identical.

Karen

J.J.
Sat, Aug-09-03, 07:56
PP or Atkins? It doesn't matter. What matters is finding the plan you are most comfortable with for the long haul. If you follow both plans into maintenance, they're virtually identical.

I believe this is the key! Thanks for your wisdom, Karen!

This thread sparked a lot of emotion and passion in folks! I'm glad to see that because that's what it takes to stick with it for the long haul!

Thanks everyone for your opinions, that's what these boards are all about!

JJ :p