PDA

View Full Version : Help-My LDLs went down but so did my HDLs

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

jeanne48
Sun, Jul-20-03, 19:13
Hi from NC,

The people on these forums are awesome! I'm not only learning about low carb diets but some new terms also like "chuffed" and "gob-smacked," and WOE and WOL, and the like.

I'm a 55-year-old female (postmenopausal). In April of this year my doctor gave me a choice: meds or diet and exercise. I chose "diet and exercise." He said if my cholesterol wasn't down on my next blood test in July, he would put me on medicine.

Well, two weeks before my doctor's visit I realized I needed to react quickly. I decided to go on the Atkins' inspired two-week diet in Redbook magazine (a very structured diet) but unlike Atkins, no induction phase and only a two-week diet. I also exercised quite a bit more than when my prior blood test was taken. Below are the before and after comparisons of my blood tests (I'm sure my doctor who is against high protein diets was a bit "chuffed"):

Triglycerides LDL HDL
April 2003 219 153 43
July 2003 149 142 35

My question: Is it possible for the LDLs to go down and the HDLs also? All that I read seems to indicate the HDLS go up when the LDLs go down.

Although I am still trying to lose weight I would like a good maintenance plan after I reach my goal. Does Atkins provide that?

Thanks for any help in solving the HDL mystery and any suggestions for maintenance.

Jeanne48 :roll:

tagcaver
Sun, Jul-20-03, 21:47
Jeanne,

It is possible for both LDL and HDL to decrease at the same time if the total cholesterol also decreases. Check your totals. If the total stayed the same then there should be an inverse relationship between the two.

As far as a "maintenance plan" if you want to stay on this WOE for continued weight loss and health, then you should get a copy of Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution and read it. It explains everything, including cholesterol matters.

Good luck, and welcome here!

Joan

doreen T
Mon, Jul-21-03, 03:01
Triglyceride levels are more significant for heart disease risk than LDL .. below 200 is desirable, which yours are, so that's good.

Your LDL:HDL ratio is 4.0 (142:35) ... which represents "average risk".

It's desirable for the HDL to be over 40 (60 is even better ;)) .. and there are a few things you can do to help that.- Of utmost importance ... DON'T try to do a low fat version of a low carb diet :) I urge you to get your hands on a copy of any one of Atkins' more recent books or one of the Protein Power books by the Drs. Eades. You might even find copies at your library which you can borrow. These will explain in-depth how cutting carbs and eating fat will control insulin, and is the key to getting your cholesterol and triglycerides under control. And will explain how to manage a low-carb diet for life, not just 2 weeks ;)

- Eat more monounsaturated fat. Olive oil, canola, olives, avocadoes, raw nuts and unrefined nut oils (not peanuts or cashews, which are legumes not nuts), flax seed & oil.

- Eat more omega-3 oils from fatty cold water fish such as salmon, albacore tuna, mackerel and sardines. If you choose canned fish, use water- or broth pack .. avoid oil-pack unless it's olive oil. Soybean, safflower, cottonseed or "vegetable" oil is high in omega-6 fats, which will negate any benefit from the omega-3 fat in the fish. If you can't eat fish, then take fish oil supplements.

- Choose eggs from free-run hens. The yolks will have a more desirable omega-3 to 6 ratio than standard eggs. Next best are eggs from hens that have been supplemented with flaxseed.

- Exercise. Aerobic type especially ... minimum 3 times a week to get your heart rate up and sustained for 20 to 30 minutes, plus proper warm-up and cool-down. Brisk walking is excellent :)

- If you smoke ... QUIT. If you live with or work with other smokers, help them to quit. Second-hand smoke is as bad as first-hand when it comes to heart health.

- An occasional glass of red wine may be beneficial, as long as there are no contraindications against alcohol consumption.
If you can get your HDL up over 60, it will effectively reduce the LDL:HDL ratio to lowest risk level, and will be protective against heart disease even if the LDL is elevated.

hth,

Doreen

jeanne48
Wed, Jul-23-03, 22:24
Dear Joan and Doreen,

Thanks so much!!

Joan, there is indeed an inverse relationship between my HDL and LDLs. So, it's possible. (Wishful thinking that the numbers had to be wrong.)

Doreen, thanks for all the helpful dietary information. Hopefully, since I had only been dieting high protein/low carb for 3 weeks before the blood test, there is some hope that these figures are just temporary.

Incidentally, I had dieted a year or so earlier (not any particular diet) and switched to cooking with olive oil and dropped fried foods and soda pops. I lost 30 pounds, but managed to gain 24 lbs of it back a lot quicker than I lost it. LOL

In any case, THANKS.

Jeanne :yay: