PDA

View Full Version : Am I pathetic, or am I pathetic???

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Pamlyn
Fri, Jul-18-03, 14:18
How annoying. Was 10 minutes off my 1 whole day of quitting when I walked outside and saw my son had left 1/2 a cigarette in the ashtray. Yep, you guessed it, I smoked the rotton thing! Soo angry with myself. Have now poured a cup on water in the ashtray & he can butt out in that! Not his fault tho, was my choice.
Here's hoping for a better day today....Maybe, no, I WILL go 24 hrs today.
Cheers
Pam
:nono:

sharann
Sat, Jul-19-03, 11:51
Been there, done it. Next time, take the water to the ashtray RIGHT AWAY! Then the temptation is gone(sort of). Also, when I see butts on the floor, in ashtrays etc...I think to myself, "Am I so addicted that I am willing to scrape the floor or an ashtray for a dirty ,used disgusting butt just to feed my addiction?" I don't ever want to be so pathetic again!!!!!
Start again now Pam :)

Pamlyn
Sat, Jul-19-03, 15:36
Thanks Shar, I needed that. Gosh, this is soo hard. Am OK during the day, it's right after breakfast that really gets me going. Think I could survive if I could just have a ciggie afterwards. OMG, I hate this. I have all the will power in the world (ie, been on Atkins nearly 5 months & not one bite of illegal food has passed my lips), so why am I soo weak with the dreaded cigarettes? Going on an overseas holiday with DH (who does NOT know I took up smoking again) and we are going to be together 24/7. HAVE TO stop now. Don't want to ruin our "once-in-a-lifetime" trip because of the fags!! Might just go and have a good cry!
Cheers
Pam
:cry:

josiekat
Sat, Jul-19-03, 15:57
Hi Pam,

Best advise I can give you is take it one hour at a time if you have to. I have been smoke free now for 7 weeks. The only way I did it was an hour at a time. If I was really craving....I'd have a bottle of water and tell myself that if I was still craving as bad in an hour, I'd have one. Then I'd get busy and forget all about it. It was the idle times and right after dinner that I thought about it most. Have learned to keep my hands busy and busy hands meen busy brain.....too busy to think about cigs. I won't lie and say it was easy.....but I can say that after the initial few days of withdrawl.....it was the habit of having it my hands that caused me grief....so I started carrying a coffee stir stick around with me....it would go back and forth from my hand to my mouth. Nope, not attractive....lol....but it sure helped in the first week.

Wishing you much success!

Jo

allatonce
Sun, Jul-27-03, 13:12
I once threw a pk. of smokes in the toilet.Good all wet.Right!!!
Nope after awhile went back got them out and dried them one by one on the top of the toaster and smoked them..Oh yeah..The life of an addict.

sharann
Sun, Jul-27-03, 23:31
...I remeber going through my garbage cans in the backyard to retrieve 1/2 smoked butts. Yep , loved those dumpster dives! How icky!!!

Pamlyn
Mon, Jul-28-03, 01:07
Well, been over 3 days now. OMG, I miss smoking!! Going back to bed for another cry - LOL. No, serious, am hanging in there. Thanks for the support you all.
Cheers
Pam
:wiggle:

heather06
Sun, Aug-03-03, 22:04
Way to go!!! The first 3 days are the biggest b*tch. I was ready to scream at anyone who so much as said something about smoking in my presence. But I have been about 5 weeks smoke free and I will never be a smoker again.
Again, congrats!

ivabelly
Tue, Aug-05-03, 16:44
Well done Pam

I think you are doing really well. time to treat yourself to some flowers or some treat with all the money you saved.

I'm on 4 weeks now saved £10 per day X 28 = £280 ($440)
I treated myself to some new scales and some atkins books.

KEEP IT UP: ivabelly

Swirl825
Wed, Aug-06-03, 14:40
Hi there! You are doing great on kickin the habit, whether it's one day or one year... ! One thing that helped me: My grandmother wanted to to quit smoking so she bought me a big ole bag of bubble gum (she passed away in October, I miss her so much :cry: )... I chewed so much my jaw hurt... but then I drank lots of water because the bubble game made the water taste good... good way to loose weight. I stopped after a couple of days... I quit for 2 weeks but then was having a breast reduction and getting married 2 weeks after my reduction and it was so much stress I started again. I know when I went on my low carb diet and I had to stop drinking cokes, that was WAY worse than not smoking! Just remember, you can do it! Do it for your family that will miss you SO much if you die of lung cancer....do it for you!
:angel:

prmichel
Fri, Aug-08-03, 15:18
Way to go Pam! Hang in there..it is so worth it.

Pamlyn
Fri, Aug-08-03, 16:17
Ok, here's me progress report:

Got to just over 2 weeks without a ciggie, then I gave into temptation and had 1. I wish I could say I did not enjoy it, but OMG, it was great! Went straight back on the wagon (do I sound like an alcholic?) and lasted about 4 days and strayed again (1 cig). Been about 3 days now, so am doing good.
Can't flog myself for 2 cigs in 21 days (can I?) :agree:
Ok, catch you all later.
Cheers
Pam

LCchickFL
Fri, Aug-15-03, 07:24
{{{{{{{{{{Pam}}}}}}}}}} I know how you feel. I went back to smoking after just over 2 yrs. of being quit. I recently tried a couple of times and didn't make it. I figure as long as I keep trying, all is not lost.

Right now I've put my quit on hold until after the holidays when hubby has said he'll try with me. Between the weight loss and just starting a workout program, I think I was just trying to do too much at once. It'll all come in time. In the meantime, I'm trying to cut down a bit by waiting until I REALLY want one before lighting up.

Pamlyn
Fri, Aug-15-03, 14:57
Hi June. Just wanted to say I stopped by your site and had a look at all the pics - WOW!! you're an inspiration. What a fantastic achievement! Good going.
Still hanging in there with the smokes. Pain in the butt. Wish there was a way smoking was healthy - LOL (I think not).
Catchya later
Cheers
Pam

LCchickFL
Fri, Aug-15-03, 16:42
I'm with you on that one Pam!! If they ever come out with healthy cigarettes, I'll be the first one in line. :lol:

Pamlyn
Fri, Aug-15-03, 22:48
If I was ever going to break out and have a cig, it would have been today. Went shopping for a suit for DH for daughters wedding. He picked out a lovely black suit, .......but then.......picked out a purple shirt........wait for it........and a RED tie. OMG!! Need another nicotine patch!!

LCchickFL
Sat, Aug-16-03, 09:01
:lol:
MEN!!!!

sharann
Sat, Aug-16-03, 12:33
Pam! You made it through shopping with a spouse, you can make it through it all!!!!
Patch yourself and keep up the great work :).

mdklimesh
Sat, Aug-30-03, 19:04
To all of you, keep up the good work. Quitting cigs is the hardest thing I've ever given up. Addicting d~*m things! I celebrated 1 year smoke free on July 4th this year. That is what brought me here to this site... gained 20+ lbs but it was worth it, my lungs are much healthier. Anyone who can go 196 days cheat free on a diet can quit smoking too!

mdklimesh
Sat, Aug-30-03, 19:07
Buy the way, what got me through the rough times was the nicotine spray. It burned like heck the first time and I didn't know how I was ever going to spray that stuff up my nose again, but the second time around was much more mellow. Thank God!!:)

Happygem
Tue, Nov-04-03, 11:35
hi love.
i have just done what you did with your astray.
girl,did i ever felt sick to my stomach.
i thought to myself,what happens if i stop and i die.
then this would all be in vain.
i wii join you,and if i die god bless,see you in hell.

Pamlyn
Tue, Nov-04-03, 13:24
OK, back from o/s holidays. Had a fantastic time & never (well, just about) thought about the cigs. The day I got home I started again. Aah well, back on the wagon Friday Have a good week all
Cheers
Pam

sharann
Tue, Nov-04-03, 20:24
Pam,
So sorry to hear about all your family troubles. Don't you know they always come in 3's and when you least expect it. Well, does smoking help your sister, your son or your nephew? I don't think so. Does anything really get better after a smoke? No. You are just fooling yourself. Stressful times are some of the best to really dig in your heels and be strong!!!! So stop this insanity now, before you are fully back into it. You don't need them, they ADD to your troubles. Really they do. Good luck, ok?

sharann
Wed, Nov-05-03, 17:08
Gosh, I am so mean! I hope I wasn't too harsh sounding Pam. Take care of yourself.

GramnGramp
Thu, Nov-06-03, 09:22
Hey Shar,
I hope no one minds my posting here.
I have only yesterday decided to stop smoking after 42 years!
Your post #23 was not too harsh, it was the painful truth!
I am going to print it out and keep it handy when I
am feeling weak.
So, thank you for the post. I will be "lurking" around and looking for advice wherever I can find it.

Paleoanth
Thu, Nov-06-03, 09:29
Hey, I just quit too-on Sunday. We should post a challenge or something on this forum so that we can encourage each other.

GramnGramp
Thu, Nov-06-03, 09:38
Hi Paleoanth,
A challenge sounds good to me.
I am a stubborn person by nature, but I do know that this smoking habit is not going to be easy to lick.

You encouraged me a lot on the atkins diet forum sometime ago and I appreciated it.
Good Luck to You!

Paleoanth
Thu, Nov-06-03, 13:32
OK-posted a new thread. We can cheer each other on.