PDA

View Full Version : Thyroid

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

saelee
Wed, Jul-16-03, 09:16
Question for you all?

What slows your thyroid/metabolism?

Is it all about the lack of calories, or does the composition of those calories play a role in the speed of your metabolism/thyroid function?

Also, can you damage your thyroid by low carbing for extended periods? (related to the above question of course)

Thanks.

Sam

KC_Pike
Fri, Jul-18-03, 10:26
Question for you all?

What slows your thyroid/metabolism?

Is it all about the lack of calories, or does the composition of those calories play a role in the speed of your metabolism/thyroid function?

Also, can you damage your thyroid by low carbing for extended periods? (related to the above question of course)

Thanks.

Sam

It is lack of calories that slows metabolism. Low carbing at maintenance caloric levels should have no effect on metabolism, its the caloric deficit that causes this.

It doesnt matter what combination of nutrients you are eating.....

saelee
Fri, Jul-18-03, 11:12
Thanks for the response. I figured it had to do with overall calories, but my uncertaintly was around the speed at which food digests.

Thought that the same calorie amount of: 1. proteins/fat (slower digestion) vs. 2. simple sugars, could potentially slow your metabolism.

Actually now that i write this, if that were the case under my flawed logic, than proteins/fat would actually increase metabolism, because it would make your body's metobolic system (this displays my true lack of understanding about metabolism) work faster to break down foods.

Now I'm probably intermingling digestion and metabolism too much.

Anyway, thanks for your feedback.

Sam