PDA

View Full Version : Nystatin AND Diflucan?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

252dlp
Wed, Jul-16-03, 08:19
My doctor gave me a prescription for both Nystatin and Diflucan. Has anyone else had to take both? The Nystatin is for several days but the Diflucan is only 1 day.

Jeanne Sch
Wed, Jul-16-03, 09:35
Hi:
I'm the queen of candida infections. :rolleyes:

If you ONLY have a vaginal yeast infection, the drugs the doc gave you should take care of the immediate problem.

If you have a CANDIDA infection of the gut, it will barely touch it.
Nystatin is considered a no-no for candida infections because it can suppress the immune system and thereby helps the yeast to mutate into a stronger form, making it even HARDER to irradicate from the body.

If your doc will listen, stress that you need to take Diflucan. I take 200 mg. twice a week. However, Dr Crooke who wrote the famed book, *The Yeast Connection & the woman* says that he and other docs have put patients on diflucan up to 800 mg a day for up to 18 months.
I would never do this personally because it is a fact that Diflucan can have an effect on the liver (what the studies showed for that, I do not know). However, I have taken 200 mg of Diflucan daily for several months to clear up my first infection (now working on a 2nd infection because I let my eating habits go) and it worked like a gem and there was NO liver damage. My current doc is scared so he only wants me taking it twice a week (which means I've been fighting the infection for a year now but only got serious about my diet side of all this about 6 weeks ago when I jumped on the Atkins runaway train of happiness) and I get a liver panel test every 3 months.
Have anymore questions? Feel free to post. I try to check in once a week or so.

252dlp
Wed, Jul-16-03, 10:25
Thanks for responding Jeanne. I do not have a vaginal infection...so this would be just for the gut. I've been doing Atkins since 4/20/03 but was eating alot of the yeasts/molds/ferments. I took those out on June 29 and been very strict about it, plus started taking some herbs like Yeast Cleanse, Caprylic acid and oil of oregano plus some probiotics.

I have so many of the symptoms of candida, but I also have many of the symptoms of hypothyroid (including low body temp) so he is having me try thryoid medicine for a couple of weeks before I take the anti-fungals.

You've given me some great things to discuss with him. Thanks!