PDA

View Full Version : Hopeful at last

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Bethy B
Thu, Jul-03-03, 07:41
Hi all
I've only just found this segment of the forum. I'm delighted to see a whole forum on Candida yeast. For years and years I've suffered with this. The past two years being the worst with it not going away AT ALL . Almost constantly at the doctors, no tablets, cream or anything working. I was beside myself and horrified to learn the beginning of this week on the Atkins forum that Candida might actually be causing my plateau. Wednesday I saw my gynae and made the decision after a long chat to remove an IUD. She seemed to think that having a foreign body didn't agree with me and could be adding to the problems. Also armed with the single dose tablet (can't remember the name although I should after all this time:rolleyes:) and creams I'm hopeful that this might, might, possibly go away for once. Keep your fingers crossed:thup:. My gynae by the way was very pro lcing especially where problems like this are concerned. That also made a pleasant change:)

Jeanne Sch
Thu, Jul-03-03, 12:46
Hi Bethy:
Wow...do you mean you've been on Atkins for almost 2 years plus being treated for candida and it hasn't improved much? (not sure if I understand your post correctly).

I've been fighting it on and off for over 7 years now (weeee).

I'm pretty sure that if your Gyn/OB understands candida and things related to that, she knows you shouldn't be on any hormone pills (that translates into birth control pills also). Estrogen like substances will FEED the candida. I'm having a dickens of a time because I am perimenopausal and my own body is creating excess amounts of estrogen trying to get my eggs to produce a TOM (yucky).

I don't recall how IUD works but I do know that the worst case scenario for Candida in the birth control methods is of course the birth control pill. Avoid it completely if you can or at least for several months, until you can get the candida under control.

The yeasty beasties are a stubborn lot and you will find yourself having to scrutinize everything you ingest. Make sure exercise is a DAILY part of your day, it boosts your immune system and that in return kills off the yeast (just one part of the puzzle ;)

-Jeannie

Bethy B
Thu, Jul-03-03, 19:20
Sorry I didn't make myself clear. When I read my post back I could hardly understand it myself:lol:
I've suffered with candida on and off for years, however the past two years have been the worst with me living with it without break almost. I've only been lcing since May. I've not lost a lot of weight(even though I'm struggling) due to probably this problem and me also taking antidepressants. Coming to this webpage though has been marvellous to help me get over hurdles and at last I feel that I understand this whole concept:yay:

Take care

Jeanne Sch
Wed, Jul-16-03, 10:07
Hi Beth:
Stick with it - the weight will come off as you get power over the candida infection. I know it is a heck of a struggle. This is why I pull out the Diflucan 200 mg every once in awhile. It used to be that it would really alter my mood on the 2nd or 3rd day (make me cranky but I couldn't really tell I was). Now that I've been on Atkins for 6 weeks, I can tolerate the Diflucan better - probably because Atkins diet has created a 6 week, slow die off and I'm that much more ahead of the game on the candida.

Dr Crooke, who is famed for his books on candida, says that depression can happen as a result of candida infection - something worth thinking about and looking into. You may try to do research into the possibility that the anti-depressant is feeding the candida infection as well (depending on how it chemically works in the body) and seeing if there is an alternative drug that won't react with your gut. I have been VERY DEPRESSED with the candida but I am much more frightened of over the counter drugs that can make my candida infection worse than I am of my own depression (I felt like I was going to kill myself when I first had this infection 8 years ago, the constant nausea, pain and brain fog hit me really hard - it wasn't a gradual event for me).