PDA

View Full Version : Arghh--thought I had this figured out, but...

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

RoseTattoo
Wed, Jul-02-03, 19:06
I'm fairly new to PP, have read only the first book. My impression was that one should try to moderate fats consumed, especially saturated fats. I'm on this WOE primarily to reduce the amount of body fat I have (and the inner tube around my middle), not to lose weight.

Anyway, I did my Fitday entry for today, and was shocked to see that I'd eaten 138 grams of protein (more than twice what I need for my lean body mass), along with 97 grams of fat (most of it monounsaturated, but still 33 grams of sat. fat). This totalled only around 1600 calories, which, considering that I worked out very strenuously today, isn't a whole lot. So my question is, how on earth do you reduce fats and even proteins--if necessary--and maintain enough calories to keep you going, on a 30-carb-gram a day WOE? Is this NOT too much protein--most of it from lean meats? Is 33 grams of saturated fat NOT too much? How many sat. fat grams is a healthful amount?

And one more related question: if saturated fats are ok, why do the Eades recommend low and non-fat cheeses? :confused:

Thanks!