PDA

View Full Version : Oh, but it is time!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

heather06
Thu, Jun-26-03, 23:27
Hi guys,
I haven't posted in awhile, but I noticed the email notification is back...Yippeee!! My quit date is this Saturday, June 28. I plan on buying the patch and using that. I have stayed a smoker for 10 years because I have always been fat....now I am not so fat, but I stink like smoke, and you can't smoke anywhere anymore, and God! cigs are $10/pack here! I figure I can take the money (there is supposed to be extra now, RIGHT???) and buy myself a filet mignon once a week. Since I was smoking at least 4 packs/week, at $10/pack...$40 extra bucks a week!!! I can finally buy some new clothes. I am still wearing my fat clothes and even my "slim"mer clothes are too big. (Which is really nice...so far from a size 16/18 to an 11...) OK...but this is not about my amazing success story. If anyone comes on here, I would appreciate the support. Everyone around me smokes...grrr. I know it will be hard. But my grandpa always said "Nothing worth doing is easy"---but, he was a hard a**.
God, i am so scared to get fat again. I don't know what scares me more: being a slim smoker and dying of cancer, or being a fat non smoker.
Thanks for reading!

heather06
Sun, Jun-29-03, 00:25
I did not cave to stress.
I did not binge eat.
I stopped smoking today.

SylviaUK
Mon, Jun-30-03, 16:46
Well done Heather :D Each day just gets easier and easier, and soon you'll find yourself wondering how you were ever a slave to a weed :(

I've been smoke-free for 18 months, and it's a wonderful feeling :D Just rejoice that you too have escaped the nicotine trap :thup:

Brandon
Mon, Jun-30-03, 21:44
Way to go Heather! The 28th was also my quit date! I'm looking forward to getting done with day 3 tomorrow, they say the first 3 days are the hardest!

alexa
Tue, Jul-01-03, 08:40
Way to go, Heather and Brandon!! I quit May 28- with the patch- and boy does it feel good! I have a suggestion... if you miss the hand-to-mouth motion, keep a bottle of water in that hand. I think that is what has kept me from snacking.

josiekat
Tue, Jul-01-03, 09:05
Hi all....

I am smoke free 1 month as of today. Heather, it was a huge concern to me that I would gain the weight that I have lost...I had to sit back though and really put things in perspective...and more importantly, put the scale away as I knew quitting would mess with my bodies metabolism and there would be absolutely no point in me worrying about the scale when I hadn't changed my eating habits at all.

At $8 plus dollars a pack......a pack and a half for me....a pack for my hubby (who has also quit)....that money adds up quick and it just made me sick to think of the money that we were spending on such a filthy habit.....close to $500 a month. Of course the health benefits were of importance too...but the money thing was right there and in my face.

You can do this. The first few days were the hardest but then, it was like a light clicked on in my head and I was into non-smoker mode. I still have days when I think...ohhhhh, I could really use a smoke now....but then I give my head a shake and go spend my $8.00 elsewhere.

Find something to keep your hands and mind busy.......like posting here!

Wishing you all the best in your journey to becoming a non-smoker!

Jo

heather06
Wed, Jul-02-03, 20:02
Did I mention that I rock? I haven't smoked. I haven't even taken a drag. I have drank so much water that I can't go anywhere for fear I will need a potty, but I am smoke free. 75 cigs not smoked. $40 in my pocket. SWEEEEEET!

I also put the scale away. Instead i went and bought a new pair of shorts, a new pair of pants, and my first ever pair of capri's. God, I love WalMart. I also bought a pack of Mr. Freeze sugar free (less thatn a carb per freezie) and decided i will reward myself with one of those on a regular basis. I feel better. (at least, I keep telling myself that!!! LOL) Personally, I think the people around me are getting a teesy bit annoyed at my "I DONT SMOKE" mantra, and my boyfriend is becoming embarassed that I say that to every smoker I see on the street....and heaven forbid if they ask me for a butt!!

My mother tried to light a smoke in my car on my first day...I was a little crabby...told her if she touched the flame to that smoke she was walking. LOL...I think I am over that crabbiness now.

Thanks for all the support, guys. I needed it!

heather06
Fri, Jul-11-03, 23:26
Almost two weeks without a butt, and about 5 days without the patch or any stop smoking aid. I seem to be gaining a losing the same couple pounds. Or maybe they're different ones, masked as the same ones. Who knows?

josiekat
Sat, Jul-12-03, 00:19
Way to go Heather! You are doing awesome. I began to notice something this week......I can really smell the smoke on the smokers now. I said to my friend......wow, did I smell like that and she said yes. Guess I was just so used to it that I didn't notice it on myself or others.

Keep up the great work girl......it's really worth it!

Jo

SylviaUK
Wed, Jul-16-03, 09:38
Like Jo said, you start to notice the smell. I've even had to ask my friends if we could go to a different pub because the first one we went into was so smoky it made me feel ill. Incredible to think I used to INSIST on going to places where I could smoke :D

heather06
Mon, Aug-04-03, 19:38
Smoke free for over 5 weeks now! Yippee! OK...I did have a smoke or 2 when I was having a drink or two...but all in all, the day after I didn't want to return to being a smoker. I had laryngitis for a week from it!! Plus...I only have gained/lost the same 1 lb. for the whole 5 weeks. Yipppeee!

sharann
Tue, Aug-05-03, 12:54
Heather, you are doing so great!!
Keep it going. I am at 4 weeks myself and I know its hard. Just remember this saying "If I smoke one, I will want to smoke the pack". It's true. I don't want ONE, I want them ALL. So, better none than all I say! Enjoy smelling clean and not worrying about covering up the stench with breath mints and hand washing (and how great does your hair smell????)

sharann
Tue, Aug-05-03, 12:54
By the way, I lost a pond and a half. Increased energy and exercise I guess. Yay!

wendy858
Wed, Aug-13-03, 07:28
Shar and Heather......great for you both!!!!

I quit 2 weeks ago today and I have not cheated even once. (I have smoked for over 20 years, so quitting was like losing a friend)

The day I quit, I joined Curves. This week I started to follow a low carb plan. I am so scared of gaining weight (which has been my excuse in the past for starting to smoke again). I figured that I better get some 'new and improved' habits to replace smoking.

So far, so good. I used the gum for the first week, but seem to be okay without.

Glad I found this forum!! Good luck!!!