PDA

View Full Version : carb counting on PP

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

klawrence
Tue, Jun-24-03, 09:51
I've been studying the three Protein Power books becasue I'm planning on switching. Say I'm on Phase I intervention and I'm using protein equilivalancy chart A (less than or equal to 60 grams/ day.) My breakfast should have (at least) 20 grams of protein and (no more than) 10 grams of carb. If I choose to get my protein from 3/4 c. of curd cheeses, do I have 10 carbs left for berrries, or do I have to subtract the carbs in the cheese?
Also, where does yogurt fit in? How about soymilk?
Also, I'm on my eight week of Atkins and am still suffering from fatigue. Is anyone tured all the time on Protein Power. Is it difficult to complete your regular workouts?
Thanks for your help.

acohn
Tue, Jun-24-03, 16:51
60g of protein/day sounds rather low to me. Why don't you double check your math with this online body fat and minimum protein calculator (http://www.zoneperfect.com/site/content/calculator.asp).

In regard to your tiredness -- since you work out, you may need more carbs. I eat a bit more of them on my workout days (right after the workout, when my body's ready to replenish nutrients). Whenever you eat carbs, subtract the dietary fiber from the carbs to get the ECC.

Are you getting enough fat in your diet? Many LC'ers (yours truly included) get 2/3 of their calories from fat.

Then again, there may another explanation. Did you feel this tired prior to low-carbing? Do you have other symptoms besides fatigue? What supplements do you take? Have you seen a doctor?

Yogurt (the full-fat stuff) is fine, if you're not lactose intolerant. The little secret about yogurt is that despite what the label says, it's only got 4g of carbs/8 oz cup. You can read about the discrepancy in this thread (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=81871).

In regard to soy, I avoid it after reading what the Weston A. Price site has to say about it. (http://www.westonaprice.org/soy/soy_alert.html)

klawrence
Wed, Jun-25-03, 11:58
Thanks for all your advice but that still leaves my original questionSay I'm on Phase I intervention and I'm using protein equilivalancy chart A (less than or equal to 60 grams/ day.) My breakfast should have (at least) 20 grams of protein and (no more than) 10 grams of carb. If I choose to get my protein from 3/4 c. of curd cheeses, do I have 10 carbs left for berrries, or do I have to subtract the carbs in the cheese?
(I'm just picking those numbers arbitrarily for the purpose of my question; I'm concerned with the formla, not the result. I haven't done the calculations reccomended by the book yet, and I haven't yet started the plan.)

acohn
Wed, Jun-25-03, 12:08
Sorry, I didn't understand that you were using a hypothetical example. All carbs (net of fiber) count in PP. So, continuing with your example, 3/4 C of large-curd, full-fat cottage cheese has 4.22g of carbs (based on info. from the current USDA nutrient database). Those 4.22g of carbs count towards your total carb allowance for the meal, so you can have 5.78g of carbs from other sources.

klawrence
Wed, Jun-25-03, 12:12
Thanks for your help!

Coralisla
Thu, Jun-26-03, 07:37
If you are tired all the time try adding potassium supplements to your morning regimen. I don't think Atkins has this in his book, but it is an important part of Protein Power - and it works!