PDA

View Full Version : recipe question

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

JeannieFan
Mon, Jul-09-01, 11:16
Hello All,
I have a recipe question, I will have in the next week a 3 pound wheel of triple cream brie that is ripe. I made this using our sheep & goats cream....in the past I have loved using this on club crackers....actually I loved this alittle too much! Does anyone have a sort of blandish recipe for a crisp that is really low in carbs. By the time this brie is ready I should be through induction. I have tried the brie from the last batch on egg crepes....good but not just there. Thanks for any help with this...Have a great LC Day....! Nancy:D

Karen
Mon, Jul-09-01, 11:46
You are sooo lucky to have such a cheese!

Have a look at Shepherd's Bread and Doreen's Revolution Rolls. Both can be toasted.

For my money, nothing beats a creamy, soft surface ripened ripened cheese on cucumber slices with a head of roasted garlic as part of the general shmear!

If 'ya got some ripe tomatoes - preferaby vine-ripened - thinly slice the cheese onto a plate and let it come to room temperature. Cover with tomato slices, olive oil, fresh basil and freshly ground black pepper.

Cauliflower soup in a big wide bowl with a wedge of brie melting in the middle?

Karen

doreen T
Mon, Jul-09-01, 11:50
How about thin slices of daikon (lo bok, long white radish)??? They make excellent crisp "crackers" on which to park brie, paté, smoked salmon etc .... very mild flavor (a slight radish zing, but not pronounced), stays crisp, doesn't go limp .... and very lowcarb.
:)

Doreen

JeannieFan
Mon, Jul-09-01, 13:11
Karen..............oooh yes that sounds so good....all your ideas are just fabulous! I will try the tomato one right now....fresh vine ripe maters(hubby calls them that) in the garden right now and I love roasted garlic.......just never thought of using it in this way of life. I grow elephant garlic and 1 clove is enough for a feast! Thank You My Queen of Food!!!! You are great and thanks for sharing your greatness! Nancy

Doreen, I grew a radish mix with some long purplish white ones in it....maybe these will be like daikon....they could even be I guess....we are truly in need of a decent grocery store here with some specialty items. I will give them a try...my hubby is off all week so I will have to be trying new things for him to keep him going on it! He is having 1 or 2 of those atkins bars a day, after reading up and hearing from Karen I have chosen to use them sparingly and not for the first two weeks....sorry to ramble...just that dang old Men:rolleyes: Theory ......take care....thank you for your vast knowledge you are so kind to me....Nancy

Karen
Mon, Jul-09-01, 13:24
Nancy, I envy your garden and cheese. Now, I am far to lazy to have my own garden or make cheese, or live anywhere remotely near a farm, so I live vicariously through others.

You will have a great time on this WOE with all of your fresh ingredients and come up with loads of exciting dishes to share with us!

Karen