PDA

View Full Version : Carb Addicted Kids

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

JeannieF
Sat, Jun-14-03, 12:48
Just wanted to share with you. I just purchased the Heller's book for kids. What an eye opener it is! Not only could some of the stories be written about me 20 years ago, (helping me understand my own out of control eating during puberty) but I also found out that my younger, skinny son is also carb addicted :eek: .

My oldest son, who started on CAD a few days ago scored a 45 (severe addiction) and my younger son scored a 34 (moderate addiction). I'm amazed.

I just can't wait to read more and get as much information as I can from these two life saving doctors. What incredible information is in this book!

Jeannie

JeannieF
Fri, Jul-04-03, 13:40
Well, I've been experimenting with my kids and the CAD WOE for a few weeks now. Here are the results.

My oldest (heavy) son has lost 7 lbs and really is enjoying this WOE. He said yesterday that the blue jean shorts he had on were falling down all evening. :) His desire for snacks has practically disappeared and he is pretty much eating only two meals a day (his personal choice). He is simply not very hungry late in the day and only has a small CS where dinner would normally be, on most days.

He eats his RM at lunch and really has a big meal then, enjoying all the carb foods he normally likes plus eating plenty of protien to balance it all out. What a success so far.

My younger (thin) son, who scored in the moderate range has had a major decrease in snack requests. :yay: I'm keeping far more low carb fruit choices (watermellon and berries) on hand and am giving him lower carb snacks when he does request something. Also, he is having protien with every meal, so if he has some cereal in the morning, I make him round it out with protien.

It's working beautifully so far. Just thought I'd share with you other LC parents.

Jeannie

arose
Fri, May-14-04, 00:38
thank you so much! I read in another post where you mentioned this book, and I am going to try to find it tomorrow. Hopefully the library will have it , and I can check it out. My sons are both major addicts, I am anxious to test them, to find out their scores. My 8 1/2 year old is 113lbs, my 5 yr. old is 75lbs, and almost as tall as the 8 1/2 yr old. My oldest son is developing insulin resistance, and I am very worried about his WOE. However, I was so stressed over how he would eat at school. He already has such a hard time, the kids at school pick on him, although he is not the most overweight kid in the class, he is, however, extremely smart, and, not sports oriented, which gives the other boys a lot of cause to torment him. I didn't want anyone making fun of how he would eat, if doing low carb. This may just be the answer I have been looking for! Thanks for the suggestion!
How are your kids doing on it now? are they still on it?

jemman
Mon, May-17-04, 15:51
healthy living really is the best gift you could ever give your kids. and i dont think that other kids would pick on your kid for "LCing" if anything, they'll be jealous. give him fun foods. melon balls, celery &/or carrot sticks w/ pb or cream cheeze, whole wheat "pizzas"- whole wheat pitas, etc. i just read "sugar busters! for kids" it was great! i havent read the one u r referring to. my only concern with dieting kids is that its treated like a diet versus a lifestyle change- it can make them self concious. im lucky that my kids are young and wont have any recollection of the high carb days :)