PDA

View Full Version : Liver/Kidneys

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Melanie
Fri, Jul-06-01, 15:25
My mom and I have been on the Atkins program since February of this year and are very pleased with the results. However, my brother is very concerned about the both of us because he heard that this diet causes either liver or kidney problems (not sure which). He said it works it harder than it should when this diet is done long term. Do you know if this is true or if there are any specific health concerns in doing this diet long term??? THANKS!

:

Karen
Fri, Jul-06-01, 18:36
Hi Melanie,

Welcome to the forum! Congratulations on being happy with your results.

You can search high and low for clinically based studies and find no conclusive proof that this is actually the case. I think that the rumor has finally received the status of urban legend. Someone is always "hearing" that it's bad for the liver or kidneys. I think the rumour was started by General Mills! ;)

Look through the low-carb studies section at the top of the page. It's full of articles, both pro and con and studies (can't find any con studies) on low-carb.

Karen

doreen T
Fri, Jul-06-01, 20:50
It's a popular myth that lowcarb diets are hard on the kidneys. The myth comes from the fact that eating excessive protein when you have active kidney disease will indeed stress the kidneys further. And most lowcarb programs I've read about recommend ADEQUATE protein, not excessive.

I posted some information on this very subject a few months ago, click here to read it (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=639).

Hope this helps to ease your brother's concerns. And continued success to you, keep us posted :)

Doreen

tamarian
Fri, Jul-06-01, 21:11
Hi Melanie,

Your brother might really benefit from browsing our Studeis section, including medical research proving the benefits of low-carbing and high-protein.

My favorite argument, which you might offer to your brother, is this: Humans have been eating a low-carb, paleolithic diet for millions of years. Serious health problems started to show up only with agricultural development of grains, and the discovery of sugar refineing.

Wa'il