PDA

View Full Version : Using Synthroid and TSH on the RISE?!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

melindalou
Thu, Jun-05-03, 21:17
Started taking synthroid for newly diagnosed hypothroidism on May 06, 2003. Tsh level at that time was: 7.67

Took the medication (0.05mg) religiously..and re-tested on June 03 and TSH was at 9.82 ?! What gives?

Doctor now prescribes double my former med..
Is this normal? What may be causing my tsh to rise while on medication?

Any advice?
Melinda

surfer376
Thu, Jun-05-03, 22:19
Melinda
It takes sometimes up to six weeks for meds to get in your body...they sometimes have 3 months in between visits with Endo.
I was 9.57 when I started , put on synthroid and didn't do a thing.. then put on 60 of Armour... then he bumped me up to 120... next visit he said 180... but when my lab came back he said too much T3... so leave it at 120... my TSH is now 0. It just takes time for the meds to work. Been a long battle for me , but they will get it right. Let me know it you need help!

PA Girl63
Mon, Jun-16-03, 05:38
Hi Melinda,

Regulating ones synthroid dose is a very frustrating process!
It's been a little over a year since my endo started and my dose has been changed 6 times - now at 175mg (blue tab) which he changed two weeks ago. It does take six weeks to get the full effect of the dose.
I think my endo sees me and thinks...oh god, her again...lol.
I was relentless with him for the whole year because I wasn't feeling myself and wanted to feel "normal" again.

Hang in there!!

Missa
Wed, Jul-09-03, 23:27
Your doctor probably didn't give you a high enough dosage to start out with. If he/she gave you a double dose this time around, wait until your next visit before panicking. ;-)

Luckily I caught my problem pretty early on they only had to change my dosage once. But don't worry, it'll take a little bit, but it'll straighten itself out.

Also one thing, make sure to not take it 1 hour before or 2-3 hours after eating. I've been told that renders the pill useless for the day by my dad and grandmother.. both of which have hypo too.