PDA

View Full Version : Breakfast....SOLVED!!!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

wordlady
Thu, Jun-05-03, 08:47
I've been on Atkins since March. Like a lot of other people, I can stand only SO many eggs per week, and bars are baaaaad.

Protein shakes made with unsweetened soy milk have helped. I add a neutral tasting protein powder, some Splenda, some vanilla, and maybe something else.

But TODAY.....I stumbled upon somehting REALLY TASTY!!!

A protein shake with Chocolate sugar free INSTANT pudding added!!!! It is DELICIOUS!!! The high fiber of the soy milk keeps you full, (and it's much lower in calories...and when you get down there, calories DO count), and the addition of the instant pudding mix makes it taste HEAVENLY!!!!

While I've been having the shakes regularly, it's not exactly a taste I look forward to, even with the doctoring. But THIS IS GRAND!!!! Try it, you'll love it!!! :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :clap: :clap: :yay: :yay: :yay: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

klawrence
Thu, Jun-05-03, 09:05
I had a breakfast revelation this morning, too. I just moved into OWL, so I'm trying to add fruits and dairy back into my diet. This morning I had some plain, whole milk yogurt mixed with some berries and stevia. It was so delicious and creamy, but wholesome tasting, too. (I never did feel right about eating cold cuts for breakfast.) :)

Debi Warne
Thu, Jun-05-03, 09:14
on the yogurt -- you can also add a scoop of protein powder to it for more protein, pick the kind sweetened with splenda and you won't need any other sweetener.

Also on the puddings, you can use banana, vanilla, several other flavors just be sure and add the carb counts in, it also helps make it thicker, creamier. 1-2 TB really helps with the thickness.

LadyBelle
Thu, Jun-05-03, 09:17
I'm having Keto cocoa crisp with chocolate soy milk. Now that blueberries are in season I may have to find ways to incorperate them into my diet more. I may put them with cream instead of yogurt, not sure on the carb counts for whole milk yogurt.

klawrence
Thu, Jun-05-03, 09:21
The whole milk yogurt I buy has 13 net carbs per cup, so I have 1/3 cup and count it as 4 grams.

roxy_foxy
Thu, Jun-05-03, 12:12
Where do you find sugar-free pudding? I've looked and looked, I can find LIGHT pudding, but it has ltos of carbs in it, its for the low-fat dieters I guess.

Shellyf34
Thu, Jun-05-03, 12:15
SWEET chocolate soy milk??? What is the carb count in THAT?

vbrowne
Thu, Jun-05-03, 12:32
I just looked up Chocolate Soy Milk on fitday and it said 22 carbs per 6oz glass.

Vikki

Shellyf34
Thu, Jun-05-03, 12:38
Well, that is a big no-no! LadyBelle?

LadyBelle
Thu, Jun-05-03, 13:44
No, SF. It has 5 carbs, 4 of which are fiber. And a ton of protien. Took me forever to find. Albertsons keeps it in the cooking section not soy milk section.

nikkiend
Thu, Jun-05-03, 15:51
I've been afraid to try Soy Milk b/c I think it will taste gross. Is it something you just use for different recipies and doctor up? I've been using cream when anything calls for milk.

wordlady
Thu, Jun-05-03, 16:06
It's surprisingly better tasting that you would think!!! If you add some vanilla and Splenda, it's just fine, but I usually don't stop there, I doctor it up more. The REALLY awesome thing is that it fills you up. 5 carbs and 4 fiber per cup. Oh YEAH baby!!!!

domus
Thu, Jun-05-03, 16:39
Thank you sooooo much for the breakfast ideas, one month in and if I have to choke down another egg I may cough up feathers! I'd like to stay in Induction for a little while longer, but will gladly sacrifice some carbs for a rich creamy morning shake

domus

anais57
Thu, Jun-05-03, 20:15
wordlady,

would you mind posting the recipe for the shake... what proportions do u use?

i hate eggs...so anything new for breakfast is greatly appreciated!

Annie-Pie
Thu, Jun-05-03, 21:35
Sugar-Free instant pudding? Am I hearing this right? I assumed there would be instant milk in it (translated: Carbs). How much sodium is hidden in it?

Thanks, Annie-Pie :wave:

LadyBelle
Thu, Jun-05-03, 22:59
I got KETO pudding, which is LC, no clue on taste as I havn't been tempted to try it yet. Just not craving sweets as much, and when I do a EAS shake is just so satisfying. Today I mixed half of one with left over cold coffee. Yum. It hit the spot, and I liked the thinner texture today.

nikkiend
Fri, Jun-06-03, 07:13
Sounds like I need to try Soy Milk. Do you buy it in a regular grocery store?
I'm the same about eggs. Occasionally I can choke down scrambled eggs, but to think about eating another boiled egg (other than disguised in my salad) gives me chills. What I've been doing is eating leftover meat from dinner most mornings. Sometimes I'll buy a small amt. of beef ribs and cook them up in the crock pot just to have for breakfasts. I'm starting to get sick of that, too.
Thanks for the tips!

nikkiend
Fri, Jun-06-03, 07:16
I made it with cream mixed with water, but it didn't set right. I would have to experiment to get the amounts correct. It still tasted yummy! I'll eat runny pudding any day! :D

wordlady
Fri, Jun-06-03, 07:25
I have to be honest here and tell you that I didn't look at the net carbs before I made it. And I had such an EXTREMELY HEAVENLY experience that I was excited to post right away.

The net carbs are 7..or less, depending on how much you use.
The carbs listed are for a serving of pudding, so it's a little ambiguous.

Someone asked for the recipe. Loosly, it's something like this:

4-6 Ice cubes
2 cups unsweetened soy milk
2 scoops of a good-tasting protein powder, (Aria for women)
2 tablespoons of Sugar-Free INSTANT chocolate pudding

***if you don't do unsweetened soy milk, use 2 cups of liquid that is your own combination of heavy cream and water.

Next week when I go on my "lose the last 10" rampage, this will be too high in carbs for me, but, I just have to tell you, I haven't tasted anything THAT good for a long long time.

kdiv5650
Wed, Dec-08-04, 20:59
Our local Walmart here in Edmonton just started carrying 'Carb Aware' dairy beverage from Dairyland Creamery....at 3 carbs per cup, I just had to have a taste...

It was absolutely amazing!!! It is sweetened with Splenda and tastes like whole milk! Works great in baking too....I've always missed milk, because I gave it up completely when I started LC'ing because the carbs were so high..

I never liked the taste of soy milk so I am so happy that they have brought it out!! Here is their website. http://www.dairyland-ca.com/whatsnew.htm

John