PDA

View Full Version : Help!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Leanne
Thu, Jun-05-03, 06:05
Hi Everyone

I need some pearls of wisdom form other low carbers. For quite a few years I had eating disorders swinging between anorexia and bulimia which I ditched about five years ago. YAY! The down side was I then swung the other way and stacked on 35kg over the years. I have tried Atkins before and done really well and I could not believe the improvement in my mood. I have a real mental block about starting the program again. Mentally I want to because I know that I feel so much better and the weight loss is fabulous. However where i come unstuck is that the emotional part of me is so reluctant to let go of these fabulous tasting foods that I did not eat for so long.

Does anyone have experience with similar issues? How and what have you done to overcome these? Is there any tips on how to get your mind emotionally accepting on starting Atkins again?

I would just love to be able to over come all of this and find a way to end what feels like an ongoing battle with food.

Leanne

37-48Ford
Thu, Jun-05-03, 06:35
Hello Leanne :wave:

I know the feeling, I felt so deprived when I was on Atkins.
I hardly got to eat with my family, and eating out was so tring.
I was on Atkins for 5 months did really well, but just knew I could not continue to eat that way the rest of my life....and I do want to make this a life time thing.

So I chatted at night with several of the ladies here (a great journal to read is Vel's and Sheliaraye's) they both were doing CAD Carbohydrate Addicts Diet. You can find information on the orange bar at the right (which low-carb plan is right for me) there is also a separate website that you can get information. Or maybe there is another plan out there for you!?!?

CAD is a slower weight loss compared to Atkins, but it does seem steady.

The basis of CAD is:
You eat 2 low carb meals (CM )and one regular meal (reward meal-RM) The allowable food on CAD in the CMs is different than on Atkins so don't think it is Aktins with a reward meal. And you need to try for a balance for your reward meal (one part protein, one veggie and one part carb) You get to eat all the things that were forbidden on Atkins: Pizza, Bread, Freedom Fries and desserts! I still do not have cravings just like on Atkins~!

WHOOPS---had to edit this to add the most important part!
You have to eat your reward meal within a hour (MUST)

I hope this helps!

It's worth I try anyway!

Best Wishes
Julie
a-barn-full

Leanne
Thu, Jun-05-03, 18:07
Hi Julie

Thank you so much for that. I didn't realise that there was other ways to do Atkins even if in a modified form. I would be more than happy to do Atkins if I know that there is light at the end of the tunnel where I can still enjoy small amounts of carbs in moderation.

I realised last night after posting that E-mail (that itself was really difficult to do) that I am just emotionally tired of having ongoing weight issues and my energy for dealing with this is exhausted. There is no happy medium with anything that I do. I am so all or nothing with the whole weight loss process.

If I can use Atkins to get to my goal weight of 70kg (currently 105kg at 178cm) then at least I can look forward to maintenance with a little bit of bread or potato or anything using moderation.

Thanks heaps - you have made my day!

Leanne