PDA

View Full Version : My BFL/workouts

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

atiaran
Mon, Jun-02-03, 14:13
Quick intro on my exercise habits: They suck! ;)

Actually in highschool, I did track, soccer, swimming, bowling, and field hockey aside from regular PE classes, which were twice a week for an hour, and included tennis, basketball, and softball.

In college, I would take a standard aerobics or other cardio class to help keep fit until my sophomore year. Ever since that time, I go through cycles of working out the standard 3 times a week for a 1/2 hour for three months, then not working out at all for three.

This year I decided that I wanted to be in shape and toned and healthy for my 30th bday (Oct 2004), which gave me almost 2 years to lose the weight I needed to and be diligent about working out. I was pretty good doing walking and/or aerobics until April when I decided to start BFL. I restarted twice, finally got on track, found out I was pregnant, and then stopped the BFL until I could see my doctor. Kept walking though.

Now today with the approval of my doctor to do a modified BFL:

1. Won't be doing any exercises where I lay on my back as it apparently takes oxygenated blood away from the fetus.
2. No sit ups. Ok to do mild abdominal work standing up so I need to search for a couple exercises.
3. Said I should max out at what felt comfortable - in other words, don't go to the "10" level, and even the "9" level in later months.

So my plan is to do the same weight at those two levels. I am going to the gym this evening for my Day 1 and will post the workout later. I am hoping this log will provide me with a level of accountability to keep on track.

atiaran
Mon, Jun-02-03, 19:16
Well, I got through it the first day and it really kicked my butt! :daze:
The afternoons are the only time I have to do this since I work very early. I made sure I didn't eat for about 2 1/2 hrs before the workout. I need to slow down in between the sets since I didn't count the whole minute.

Day 1
Chest - Incline bench press 20 x12, 25 x10, 30x8, 30x6, 30x12
Dumbbell FLyes (at slight incline) 30x12
Shoulders - Seated dumbbell press 20x12, 25x10, 30x8, 35x6,
30x12; side raises 30x12
Back - one arm dumbbell rows same as shoulders; wide grip
pulldown 30x12
Triceps- dumbbell extensions 10x12, 15x10,20x8, 25x6, 20x12;
bench dips (body weight)x12
Biceps - seated curls same as triceps; inclined dumbbell curls
20x12

For next arm workout, I would like to increase the bicep weights slightly. The curls didn't feel that intense.

atiaran
Tue, Jun-03-03, 15:39
Twenty minutes on treadmill, using uphill incline as interval marker. Increasing speed gets my heart rate too high. Flat for intensity 5, then up to 1 for 6, 2 for 7, 3 for 8, 4 for 9, and finally 5 for 10.

Felt great after.

atiaran
Wed, Jun-04-03, 21:14
Did lower body today. Doc said I should not exceed 60 pounds, and that I should probably not continue when I'm past second trimester. I went to the gym today so weights are in increments marked on weight machines.

Quads
Leg extensions: 16.7 lbsx12, 20x10, 23.3x8, 26.7x12
Leg presses: 30x12 (won't be doing these again while pregnant. Positioning felt unsafe. )

Hamstrings
Leg curls: 16.7x12,20x10, 23.3x8, 26.7x6, 23.3x12, 23.3x12

Calves:
Standing calf raises: 2lbs each handx12, 5x10,8x8, 10x6, 8x12, 8x12

No ab work but did following instead because I hate my thighs:

Hip Abduction (outer): 40x12, 50x10, 60x8, 60x6, 60x12, 60x12
Hip Adduction (inner): 30x12, 40x10, 50x8, 60x6, 60x12, 60x12

For next Lower body workout, I will probably do the same, but stick to one exercise per section.

atiaran
Thu, Jun-05-03, 08:32
Won't be able to do my workout this afternoon due to stepdaughter's recital, so will go for a brisk 25 minute walk at lunch time.

atiaran
Fri, Jun-06-03, 09:01
OK, yesterday's workout didn't work out. :)

It was 100 deg F at lunch. I started walking after I ate, lasted 2 minutes before I had to come back because I felt dizzy. I also had a bad bout of afternoon/evening sickness, so I didn't get on the treadmill at home either. This morning I was up very early and did some light exercise - just went up and down my stairs about 4 times. This evening I will be able to go to an a/c gym (no a/c at home) and plan to do my upper body workout:

Chest

Flyes: 15x12, 20x10, 23x8, 26x6, 20x12
Incline Press: 20x12

Back
Pulldowns 16x12, 20x10, 23x8, 26x6, 20x12
Rowing 20x12

Shoulders
Front raises same weight
Lateral raises 20x12

BIceps
Curls for all sets, weight as above

Triceps
Triceps press weight as above
Triceps pushdowns 20x12

atiaran
Sun, Jun-08-03, 22:17
Saturday did 20 minutes of walking outside. Intensity interval went from brisk walk to jog.

Today I also went for a 20 minute normal pace walk.

atiaran
Mon, Jun-09-03, 10:31
Lower body workout today will be same as last one. Plan to hit the gym after work. I will concentrate on not going too quickly.

atiaran
Tue, Jun-10-03, 10:10
Didn't make it to the gym yesterday - family emergency, had to leave work early, and got home late.

Today I am going to do the Day 8 and 9 workout: Lower body, and 20 min on treadmill, intensity interval used will be incline of belt.

atiaran
Wed, Jun-11-03, 10:31
Upper arms. Going to do workout at home with some free weights. Will post the plan later.

atiaran
Thu, Jun-12-03, 13:16
I feel very ill today so will not be working out.

atiaran
Fri, Jun-13-03, 09:07
I feel completely exhausted!! I slept 12 hours last night and I am still tired. It's a cool day though so I am going to do a leisure walk at lunch for about 20 minutes. If I feel better this afternoon, I will do my lower body workout.

I thought exercising kicked my butt, but being pregnant just wears you out!! :yawn:

atiaran
Wed, Jun-18-03, 10:50
Well, I did not do my workouts for the last 4 days, except for lots of cardio! I was on vacation and I walked everywhere! Ok, except for one trip in a cable car. I did my best to avoid bad carbs which was pretty easy except around breakfast. I think I averaged around 100 to 120 a day, and with all the walking, came back and had not gained an ounce.

This afternoon, I've decided to take up with the upper body workout.

*Later*

I didn't follow the BFL structure, but did 3 reps of 12 of the following after 15 minute warm up on cycle:

Bicep curls: 20 lb
Tricep extensions: 15 lb
Chest press: 35 lb

My ligaments felt a little loose which my doc said might happen, and when it did, I needed to 'go lightly'. From tomorrow on, I am going to mostly concentrate on getting in my cardio, followed by some light weights for by arms, back and chest.
I am also thinking of joining a prenatal yoga class.

atiaran
Fri, Jun-20-03, 09:19
Yesterday I did lots of gardening - about 1 to 1 1/2 hrs. Weeding, mowing lawn, picking strawberries, so I count that as my activity for the day. Tonight I will be flying to CA so I intend to walk around the airport for 30 to 40 minutes to get in some cardio.

atiaran
Mon, Jun-23-03, 21:40
Saturday

1 hour of brisk walking

Sunday

30 minutes of swimming laps - felt winded after but it was great to do something different

Today

1 hour of bowling - at least it's good toning for my right arm!! :D

atiaran
Wed, Jun-25-03, 22:58
I laxed a couple days. No workout yesterday and a quick 15 minute walk today plus 1 hour of housecleaning for what it's worth.

Also had my first doctor appointment today and she told me it's fine to continue weight lifting at about half the intensity I was pre-preggers. She even gave me some exercises for my tummy and back muscles that I can do standing up! Said it's very good to have a strong center for easier labor. Woohoo. Will post them tomorrow.

atiaran
Fri, Jun-27-03, 11:44
This may be a bit indiscreet but my dh was gone out of town for a whole week and got back yesterday. It was soon followed by an hour long vigorous "workout", followed by a snooze, and more "working out". Now Fitday says it's only 35 cals burned per hour, but I'm inclined to believe it's more! ;)

atiaran
Sun, Jun-29-03, 17:07
I have to admit that I was majorly disappointed with last week. I went to the gym once, and didn't do a true workout the rest of the week! Yesterday we went bowling for an hour and a half and I woke up this morning with a sore right bicep! Argh! So I am resolved to go at least 3 times this week to the gym. I won't be able to MW, so I will go T,TH, and Sat, and already have my plan written out. That seems to be the best way for me since if I write it down, it's on the back of my mind to accomplish. Today I also did a 30 minute walk around our community park.

atiaran
Wed, Jul-02-03, 10:08
Have not been able to get on here for a while. I did 30 minute walk yesterday even though I didn't get home till 9 pm! I had to. WE went to Outback and I ate way too much food. Slept very well too.
This afternoon I am going to the gym before picking up kids, and then major weeding after dinner.

30 min walking
30 min weights
1 hr? gardening

atiaran
Sat, Jul-05-03, 21:44
I haven't hit the gym or done official walking since Thursday. We put our house up for sale, and since then I have been getting grimy cleaning the house from top to bottom. Yesterday, DH and I did walk to our community park for fireworks so that was about 20 minutes. Also did major squatting since I was weeding and trimming in the front yard. My hamstrings actually hurt today. The good thing is that most of the rough work is done and although there's some light housekeeping the rest of the week I will be able to go to the gym starting tomorrow.

FionaMcB
Sun, Jul-06-03, 00:16
Just out of curiousity, when are you due? My doctor said no working with weights after the seventh month, but that was over 24 years ago, so the thought on that has probably changed. We lived in Bavaria at the time, and they made me stop riding my bike because of the cobblestone streets in town.

It will be interesting to see how long you continue lifting.

atiaran
Mon, Jul-07-03, 13:40
Hi Fiona! I am due in January. I am 13 weeks along. Doc said I should be able to keep lifting as long as I am not straining, and I do exercises where I am sitting up or standing. She suggested that I not increase intensity or weight beyond what I was doing before finding out I was pregnant. She also told me that I can ride a stationary bike, walk, or swim, preferably not do aerobics class or contact sports.

Yesterday I did 20 minute walking and some basic tricep/bicep work with my free weights at home. No more than 20 lbs.

Today, I am going to go walking in the park for 30 minutes. My gym days are now going to be T,Th, Fr since I won't have to pick up kids from camp those days.

atiaran
Fri, Jul-11-03, 10:59
I have been able to do my walking every day. Haven't gotten to weights since we are still cleaning and prepping house for sale. Should be all done today! Thank goodnes!

atiaran
Mon, Jul-14-03, 12:51
Lots of activity this weekend. Saturday did my walking, plus house work for an hour plus 40 minutes of Laser Tag. Have no idea how many calories that burnt but I was a tired child that evening. Sunday I did my walking and some light gardening. Today I have the day off and I may just be lumpy. We are supposed to go bowling tonight as part of my stepson's bday and I am sorely tempted to be lame and have that be my exercise for the day. I am trying to motivate myself into walking after lunch.

atiaran
Wed, Jul-16-03, 13:14
My "lumpiness" lasted 2 days. I did a little walking yesterday but it was 10 minutes and not brisk! Having tummy trouble may have had a lot to do with it. Today I feel much better and have tons of energy so I WILL be on that treadmill this evening!

atiaran
Tue, Jul-22-03, 10:39
Between Thursday & Sunday we did some serious househunting (40 houses?). I got in a couple of good walks. Yesterday I did 1 1/2 hour walking in the mall. I didn't shop, I just went in and walked back and forth from one end to the other until I was tired. Then we went bowling last night. We are expecting to hear back about an offer we made tonight, so no houehunting planned. I am going to the gym instead - 1st time in over a week! Will be doing a warm up on treadmill for 15 minutes, then weights for arms and legs. When I get home, I am going to do my prenatal stretching workout which helps to strengthen the back and tummy. I will try to scan it in here tomorrow.

atiaran
Wed, Jul-23-03, 09:25
Our house offer was accepted so now in the next 5 weeks there will be a lot of activity with packing etc. According to Fitday, 2 hours of packing boxes is 300 cals! Not bad. That's my afternoon today, plus I will still go for a quick walk since it is much cooler outside.

atiaran
Fri, Jul-25-03, 10:55
I did 2 hrs packing yesterday. I most likely won't be posting here much until we have moved and settled in. It's a little crazy getting gym activity in, and last time I weight lifted, I felt rather dizzy after 2 sets, so it may be time to stop.

atiaran
Mon, Jul-28-03, 12:22
Weekend was really crazy but I did 2 hour walk (hiking) on Saturday and 45 minutes yesterday. Part of Sat was uphill too!

This whole week I plan to do a half hour walk at least, in the evenings.

atiaran
Fri, Aug-08-03, 09:33
Week of 8/3 to 8/9:
Walked 3 days this week. Bowling one day. Next week, I am aiming to go walking 4 days.

atiaran
Tue, Aug-12-03, 11:12
Woohoo! I made it to the gym yesterday. 25 mins on a cycle followed by some arm & chest weights. Felt great!

atiaran
Fri, Aug-22-03, 11:23
Gym, what gym? :D
I have done walking after work everyday. I have also done some bicep curls while watching TV. DH thinks I am nuts but that's when I can squeeze it in. Not as much as I want it to be, but I am glad to get something in with all the house packing I am in the middle of. Thank goodness it'll be over in a week, and I can start making regular trips to the gym again.

atiaran
Fri, Sep-05-03, 15:35
Well, the whole house thing - what a fiasco! We are finally in though a week later than anticipated. THe upside of staying in a hotel that week was the exercise room was straight across the hall from our room, so yours truly had no excuse! I went almost every day, did 25 minutes on the treadmill, and some upper and lower arm weights. Next week, I am starting some prenatal yoga which will I hope help to ease some of the back twinges I have had. And keep my stress down. Today and the rest of this weekend I have no plans to work out since I really want to put a dent in the unpacking. I am going to scope the neighborhood for the nearest Bally's though so I can check it out on Monday.

atiaran
Thu, Sep-11-03, 13:29
Cannot find a Bally's near the house! I looked for one close to work and found it, so I will have to go either in the morning before work or evenings after. On Monday I tweaked my back from trying to lift a heavy box. THis got me not only a scolding from DH and mom (I felt 2 again!) but I was laid up until today. I brought my gym bag with me so I am set to go this afternoon. Will take it easy though and stick to a recumbent cycle.

atiaran
Fri, Sep-12-03, 09:06
I got ambitious and did 10 flights on the stair machine. Tried to do more but I was very winded so I stopped. Came home and put one of thoe Therma Care heat pads on my back. Slept with it all night and all my pain was gone this morning. I took the day off and plan to finish unpacking, and to later take a walk around my new neighborhood since the sun is shining.

atiaran
Fri, Oct-17-03, 15:54
I haven't been posting much, but I have not been very consistent with exercise either. I have given up on goign to the gym for the last month or so. Between unpacking, getting the nursery done, and trying (desperately) to get things wound down at work, I have only been able to go on a quick 15 minute walk 3 times a week. I am hoping to start a bit of yoga next week - just basic stretches to strengthen my back for labor.

atiaran
Wed, Oct-29-03, 14:57
Two weeks later and I am still walking just slower! Because my joints are loosening up so much and my center of gravity is off slightly, I keep tripping and almost spraining my ankle. Mostly I am sticking to the yoga type stretching from now on.

atiaran
Wed, Dec-03-03, 19:11
About 2 weeks ago, I found myself being tired after about 20 minutes of any kind of activity including light housekeeping. I have decided at this time to just take it as easy as possible until the delivery (6 weeks to go).

I'll resume writing then.

atiaran
Mon, Apr-12-04, 14:48
OK, so it took me a little longer to write than I thought, but that's because I really only started exercising 2 weeks ago. I had a C-section and then had complications and had to have associated surgery. After recovering from all of that, I took it easy and eased myself back to 'normal activity' then started walking 3 times a week about 2 weeks ago. Right now I go up a hill and come back down while pushing a stroller with a 12 pound baby in it. That takes about 15 minutes and leaves me breathless, so I will continue doing it until I stop feeling like I will die. I would eventually like to do the 12 week BFL program, but I think that may be a month or two out before I start. So much for a bikini this summer!! :)

atiaran
Fri, Jul-09-04, 17:11
I kind of forgot about this log, hee hee. To tel the truth I haven't kept to a decent exercise schedule until this week. I found an article in this month's Prevention that has a 3 week exercise schedule that can be done at home. And it's perfectly easy to do while having to keep one eye on an increasingly mobile baby. Basically, on MWF, I do an "easy" walk for 30 minutes. The pace is slightly faster than normal walking, as if late for a meeting. Also do some basic weights on those days.
On T, Th, Sat, do interval walking for 18 minutes and ab work. Sunday you do a long walk at a slow or normal pace for 45 min. That is for the first week. The time goes up the 2nd and 2rd weeks. I decided to add a week in front first where I walk for 25 minutes everyday since I have done nothing for the last month.
Every day this week except Tuesday, I got myself out and walked 25 minutes. I'll be ready to start the weights next week. I have motivation now too - I am a bridesmaid in 6 weeks, so it would be great to look somewhat toned in my dress. :)

atiaran
Tue, Jul-13-04, 11:08
M: 30 minutes walking on treadmill, basic weights using 5 lb
T: 18 minute interval walking outside; ab work

atiaran
Tue, Jul-20-04, 09:20
W: 18 min. interval; light weight workout
Th: 30 min walk pushing 17 lb baby :)
F - Mon: nasty things coming out of body due to cold/cough. no exercise

Today: 35 min walk pushing :baby:

atiaran
Wed, Jul-21-04, 12:35
sat: nada
Sun: bowling and walked
Mon: Walked 25 min
Tues: Walked 35 min; basic weights & ab work

atiaran
Fri, Sep-10-04, 09:55
Wed: Walk/jog intervals of 4:1 for 15 minutes

atiaran
Wed, Dec-01-04, 18:35
I will now be posting gym logs in my journal.

atiaran
Wed, Feb-09-05, 10:34
This will be my workout for the next 3 1/2 weeks (I will do the wed to sun this week and then do mon to sun 3 weeks):

Monday
- 40 min cardio on treadmill, 3.5 mph, incline 1% alternating to 6% every 2 minutes
- 20 lunges holding 3 pound weights; 20 triceps presses; tabletop position on stability ball for 20 seconds; 8 pushups on knees

Tuesday
-Treadmill (it says cycle but I have a treadmill) for 45 minutes; maintain exertion at about 5 on a scale of 1 to 10.
- 20 squats holding3 pound weights overhead; 10 pushups; 20 biceps curls

Wednesday
- 10 back extensions using 5 pound weight; 20 reps of row on a ball (stand with feet together holding on to ball 2 feet in front of you, hold weight in other hand and row arm alongside body); 15 pushups on knees; hold side plank postion each side for 10 seconds

Thursday
- do 5 minute warmup followed by 15 minutes on treadmill at a 5 exertion, then walk uphill for 15 minutes at 3.5 mph, 4% incline, then 5 minute coodown.
- 20 squats, 10 pushups on knees

Friday
Rest

Saturday
repeat Monday's workout

Sunday
repeat Tuesday's workout

atiaran
Mon, Oct-03-05, 09:27
1. hamstring stretch
2. quad stretch
3. upper and lower calf stretch
4. back stretch
5. basic crunches
6. side curl crunches
7. upper ab crunches
8. arm and leg raises
9. heel raises
Above will be done 6 times a WEEK.

Aerobic exercise 5 times a week for 15 to 20 minutes at 7-8 intensity. 30 minutes of 5-6 intensity once a week.

Strength training 3 times a week, 1-2 sets of 10 reps:
squats, lunges, chest and shoulder press, buttterfly, dumbbell fly, biceps curl and triceps extension

atiaran
Tue, Oct-11-05, 14:44
Same as week one except walking time is up to 17 min 5x/week and 34 min 1 day a week. One exception: yesterday I didn't workout because it was my birthday and I allowed myself to be lazy. Today I did double the aerobics, double the stretches and crunches, and a regular strength routine. The rest of the week should be normal.

atiaran
Wed, Jul-12-06, 14:58
I mostly track my exercise in my journal. It's easier to post it all at once.