PDA

View Full Version : [SS] somersizing results

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Spaze27
Sun, Jun-01-03, 16:10
hey everyone, i'm new! I see a lot of people posting results, great job! My question is, did u guys really eat AS MUCH AS YOU WANTED? did you really lay on the dressings and full fat cheeses? If i can truly eat as much as i want, i think i'll do great. rite now i weigh 150 and i would like to get down to 125. please let me know about ur successes, especially those similiar to my goals!!! thanx! :wave: :wave:

Mamabeek
Sun, Jun-01-03, 18:16
Yep, I have lost more 20 pounds eating full fat cheeses and dressings. The food combining seems to be the key for me, and avoiding the 'funky foods' as Suzanne calls them. My hubby has lost 13 pounds since Easter and raves about some of the stuff we eat. Having no carb pizza for supper again tonight and just had a bowl of strawberry ice cream with hot fudge sauce. :D

I will caution you that Suzanne's last couple of books are really heavy on the fat. I don't like to eat THAT much fat, so I scale back some and don't eat cream and butter with every meal etc. I do eat carbs as she suggests, but also stick to her precaution of having them only in the morning or at lunch, never at night.

My only downfall has been snacking too much. Legal snacks, yes, but the calories do add up... Many people do pig out at first, but in time you adjust and find that you don't want to eat so much after all.

Here's what I ate today:

Breakfast: three cream cheese pancakes with SF maple syrup.

Snack: Cherimoya (fruit)

'Lupper' (we often do that instead of Sunday Brunch):
Chicken veggie soup. Lots and LOTS of veggies and chicken breast stir fried in white wine with spices and then plopped in a pot of hot veggie broth.

Snack: strawberry ice cream and fudge sauce just now

I'll probably have a little piece of fruit or some fruit juice for a snack later on before bed.

KittyKat2
Sun, Jun-01-03, 19:08
Spaze27 - Hi! I lost weight Somersizing eating everything she says you can! I'm still on Level One!

Here is a sample of what I have in a day:

B - Pineapple & Watermelon, wait 20 mins. and follow up with Post Bran Flakes w/ FF Milk (very satisfying) (Note: The Bran Flakes have a minimal amount of sugar but does not bother my loss-I got sick of Shredded Wheat and do not like Grape Nuts!)
On the weekends I have bacon or sausage with scrambled eggs with cheese and onions and bell pepper.....MMMMM!

I don't normally have an urge to snack between B & L

L - Salad w/ grilled chicken, tons of veggies, cheddar and blue cheese and ranch dressing, dill pickle slices

I chew a pc of Dentyne or Trident - they are sugar free and satisfy my sweet tooth...They have that cinnamon flavor!

D - Juicy grilled double cheese burger w/ lettuce onion tomato, pickles, ketchup, mustard, mayo or seasoned pork chops stuffed with spinach and bacon and green beans, squash, salad, zuchinni....The possiblities are endless.

I have found that if you sit down on Sunday and tell yourself you are going to try all these items during the week...Make your grocery list and go buy all items needed to make all meals...You will do it! It's good to chop/slice all veggies to have them prepared....It cuts out a lot of time.

My favorite is taco salad! I am even at the point to where I can add a few tortialla chips and it doesn't bother me! You may not want to if you're just beginning!

Mamabeek - Is that last snack a legal fruit. Is it the strawberry ice cream from one of the books? What about the fudge sauce? Or are you on level 2? Thanks!

Mamabeek
Sun, Jun-01-03, 20:06
The strawberrry ice cream is in Fast and Easy and the sauce is with her vanilla bean ice cream recipe in a couple of her books I think. I got it out of the dessert recipe one. It's just cream, butter, sweetener and SF baking chocolate. I'm level one and these two things are "almost" level one because of the fruit/fat in the ice cream and the caffeine in the chocolate sauce. But she also says that berries are the one fruit that is almost a free food, so I consider the ice cream Level one and the sauce my only cheat. Caffeine doesn't affect me much, but it does my hubby so I got some Wondercocoa to try. Going to try to make a sauce with that next time.

Both my hubby and I are eating a scoop a day (which I think is about a half or 3/4 cup) of the ice cream with some sauce and losing fine. I'm using crystaline fructose in the ice cream because it's the only artificial sweetener that won't freeze harder than cement! I have read that fructose (same sugar that is in fruit) can spike blood sugar, so I am just careful with it, but I lost a pound between yesterday and today, so...

If you go to Suzanne's site and look in the disussion section you will see there are a bunch of recipe threads and LOTS of completely legal level one ice cream recipes there. I'm so happy with this one I haven't made anything else since I got my IC maker. I intend to though, as the summer temps climb.

Oh, and yes, Cherimoya is in her list of ok fruits. I didn't think it would be, but it is. Yippee! Too bad the season is wrapping up now. :( Blackberries are still going strong though and they are darned near a free food. Life is good! :roll:

Oh, have you tried cheese chips/crackers? You make them by just nuking a slice of whatever cheese you like in the micro for 2 minutes. The cheese gets very hard and lacy and if you cook it just a little less you can bend it into taco shells and let it harden that way. Absolutely scrumptious and totally legal level one. I've had tacos and taco salad with these and love it. Just be careful, lots of cheese can, um... stop you up. LOL! Also this will make the plate you cook it on very hot, so be careful and if you want to make multiples, rotate plates or they might break from the hot oil. I spray a touch of Pam on the plate to make it easier to get the cheese cracker off, then plop it on a paper towel and blot like you would with bacon. You can bake the cheese in the oven too, I've read, but I've never tried it.

bailey60
Mon, Jun-02-03, 13:51
I have been totally amazed, at the amount of food I ate the first 2 weeks. Lots of cheese, huge bowls of grapenuts. After the 2nd week , I did not require as much food. I still have a few sugar & carb cravings, but not everyday. My system has settled down, and I am loosing 2 lbs, a week now. Kellie :roll:

heebeejo
Mon, Jun-02-03, 15:57
I'm pretty close to you. I'm 156 and want to get to 123. I lost the first three pounds in the first two days. For breakfast on that day I ate cheesy eggs cooked in lots of butter, and REALLY :D cheesy scrambled eggs. I'm not a salad person so I can't help you there :rolleyes: . I started adding double mayonaise to my tuna salad and it hasn't hurt me one bit. I rarely feel hungary except when I have to wait those hours between pro/fats and carbs, but this is only my second week. I'll probably get use to it. Plus by now my cravings are almost completely gone. Good Luck :wave: It's definatly worth it.

Spaze27
Mon, Jun-02-03, 21:11
hey everyone! thanx so much for ur feedback, it's great to hear ur doing so well. Listing what u ate really helps me out guys! thanx! with ice cream, can i just buy a "sugar-free" kind? :wave: :wave:

Mamabeek
Mon, Jun-02-03, 22:26
The stuff at the stores is funky because it's got carbs in it. Dreyers has a good selection, but they're level two, technically. I'd avoid them until you're at maintenance or really losing well, and then keep them at a minimum.

If we can get this somersizing recipies thread going I'll snag a few of the legal level one recipes off some other sites and post them here (with credit to the creators, of course ;) ) One recipe used frequently on Suzanne's site is made in a sandwich bag. My IC maker is so incredibly easy to use it's really no biggie now I've got the hang of it. Cost me $35 at WalMart.

Spaze27
Tue, Jun-03-03, 20:33
anyone know anything about "splenda" and somersizing? well, guys, i'm still hoping that this somersizing deal works.... I've been eating massive amounts of chedder with everything, I love cheese. I just miss SUBWAY soooo much! If I can really eat all I want, of HIGH FAT stuff, and get down to 125, I will be amazed! Plus being able to have a huge bowl of carby cereal (grapenuts) for breakfast! keep the successes coming, I LOVE TO HEAR THEM! It's very encouraging! and listing what u ate helps out too! :wave: :daze: :roll:
p.s. string cheeses all seem to be "part skim" but list the same carbo grams as regular, (<1g) is this legal???

Mamabeek
Thu, Jun-05-03, 12:35
She talks about it in her books as as lifesaver for snacking. Not sure why sometimes the skim adds more carbs than others, it must have to do with the way the stuff is processed.

Splenda is fine for this plan, and it cooks like regular sugar. The packets are concentrated about the same as Somersweet - 6 times as sweet as sugar- but the loose stuff measures one to one like sugar. That's my artificial sweetener of choice. Suzanne would love for you to buy her Somersweet, which is a Fructose/Sunnett mixture, but if you look at her earlier books she talks about Saccharine and Aspartame. Now she is down on those for health reasons, but there are lots of options out there. Stevia is a great one, Splenda is excellent and even Fructose in small quantities is ok.

This IS for real. Honest, honest, HONEST!!! My hubby just gave me a huge hug this morning for giving him his 'figure' back. He is now down 15 pounds and has maybe 15 to go, but the difference is dramatic! :hyper:

HOWEVER, based on what you're saying, let me toss out a few cautions to you. :exclm: LC does work and Somersizing is one of the least painful plans around, BUT even with legal foods you can <i>still</i> manage not to lose weight if you totally pig out on high fats and eat too many carbs, even whole grain carbs. :( At first just learning to eat "legally" is good, but once you get used to that you need to remind yourself that a calorie is still a calorie, and even whole grain carbs can add up if you go bonkers with them.

Careful with all that cheese, it can make you constipated! I'm a huge cheese fan and I did that at first too. I still eat cheese, all the time, but not the gobs I ate in the beginning. It took awhile for me to find a balance. I eat all the fatty things: bacon with cheesy eggs for breakfast (had that this morning), butter and cream sauces, ice cream, real mayo etc, but I don't overdo them. I don't need EXTRA cheese on everything, POUNDS of mayo in my salads and GALLONS of cream in my sauces.

I'd also be careful with a "great big bowl of Grapenuts" every morning. Grapenuts are legal, but of all the cereals you can have they are one of the highest in carbs, so if you find you aren't losing, or are going reeeeeeeeaaaally slowly, you might want to either keep the Grapenuts to the 1/2 cup serving size or have them just a couple of times a week. (warm with Splenda... yum!) :roll: I had a big ole Grapenuts fest when I discovered they were legal, and ate two big bowls every morning. I'd guess that was probably four servings for a whopping 164 grams of carbs for breakfast!!! Needless to say, I stalled. Whereas Grapenuts have 42 effective grams of carbs per serving, HiLo cereal has 6... so even when the food is legal, your choices can still make a big difference in how fast you lose. I've got five different SS legal cereals in my cupboard right now, so I rotate them to be sure I don't go too heavy on the higher carb ones.

You might try starting a journal so you can track what you eat. If you do that here then when you want advice people can see what you're doing and make suggestions better. It's a great way to meet other LCers too, as people will visit your journal to say hi.

Don't let me be a wet blanket here... no matter how much 'legal' stuff you eat, it's way better for you than refined carbs and sugar!

Can't wait to hear how you're doing.

MB

Spaze27
Thu, Jun-05-03, 22:50
I figured out how to use my journal. If anyone has any comments, ANY, please post them here on this thread. thanx. I'm so glad I figured out how to work the journals! :wave: :yay:

LovableLC
Sat, Jun-07-03, 19:16
I tried out this plan a while back and lost about 20 lbs in about 6 weeks. The combining got on my nerves so I quit. Might resort back to it one day.

Jadie
Mon, Jun-09-03, 13:10
I just started to SS last week. I haven't lost any weight yet, but I already feel so much better. It's nice to see such positive results. :)

diamondlil
Thu, Jun-12-03, 00:53
I've lost 36 lbs on this program eating as much as I want to, with occasional planned cheats. I can honestly say that I never starve and I don't get major food cravings (although I occasionally think I can smell certain funky foods that I used to love!). This is a typical day for me:

B: whole wheat toast with mustard, alfalfa sprouts and tomato slices, cup of decaf plain tea
S: fruit (nectarine or a large handful of berries)
L: roast chicken breast and green beans, with a gravy made from meat drippings, pureed onions and cream
D: poached salmon, mixed salad greens with cheese dressing

Occasionally I have berries or Splenda-sweetened whipped cream for dessert but not often.

I also drink about 70 oz of water a day.

BTW, string cheese is legal, even partly skimmed. Suzanne explains on her site's FAQ's that the way cheese is processed makes partly skimmed cheese legal to have.