PDA

View Full Version : Wellbutrin

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Nijushiho
Fri, May-30-03, 08:58
Hey

I used to come here back when I first started low carbing, but moved onto the ~~~~~ forums when I switched over to that diet.

Lately I've been feeling increasingly depressed, and my anxiety has been worse than normal. So I started looking into anti depressants. I found very few support forums for them. I was suprised to find that this site actually had the best depression forums.

So I had to reregister, but that's alright. I can kill two birds with one stone by being here (lowcarb + depression).

I just started taking Wellbutrin-SR as of yesterday. For the first week its 150mg, then 300mg thereafter.

I see that some of you here have tried wellbutrin, hopefully with success. I asked the Dr. if I could try it before SSRIs. She said she had no problems with that, but made sure I was aware that this drug wasnt free of side effects, just rather they were of a different nature.

So far, I cant say that I've really felt much of anything, but I guess thats good. Those who feel it right away, are likely to be experiencing the placaebo effect.

One thing I really hope it helps me with is my pot addiction. I've been a chronic for about two years. I decided a few weeks ago to quit, for various reasons. THe only problem is that 90% of my friends I made based on that drug. In order to totally get it out of my life, I'd have to get all new friends. Since I quit, I've gotten high twice. Both times because I was sort of pressured into it. The second time being yesterday, hours after I took my first WBsr. Strange thing is, I barely could feel the pot. I dont know if it somehow inhibits the effects or what. I've heard scary stories about mixing the two, so hopefully thats enough to keep me away from it.

I'm not sure really what the purpose of this thread is, guess I just needed to rant and reintroduce myself. That and I was curious about anyone else who's on WBsr and how they're doing with it.

-Peace-

bevbme
Sat, May-31-03, 18:35
Dunno what the magic key is-hope Wellbutrin works for you.

I'd like to ask Dr about something-concentration not existent
and my give a damn index is flatlined at zero.

I though lc would be answer lose weight,gain energy etc-not yet.

Good luck on your journey.. :wave:

thininBC
Sun, Jun-01-03, 12:38
I tried several SSRI's and an MAOI before finding what worked best for me. I ended up taking Celexa and have been on it for two years now. I also tried Wellbutrin but it gave me SEVERE ringing in the ears ( I know there is a technical name for that). It takes a couple of weeks, so don't get discouraged if your not feeling better right-away. I noticed the fog starting to lift within 3 weeks. The side-effects were less significant after a week or so.
Give yourself time and patience. Congrats to you for taking that important first step on the way to recovery. Good luck & lots of prayers coming your way. If you ever need to chat, let me know and I will PM you my contact info.

igaligal7
Tue, Jun-03-03, 20:49
I've been on Wellbutrin SR 300 mg per day since August 2002. I had tried several other anti-depressants over the years. This is the most effect medication I have tried and it has not hindered my weight loss.

I hope it works for you.

Mjsturg1
Wed, Jun-04-03, 12:58
I also just started taking Wellbutrin and I am supposed to be taking my second dose but when I did at about 4 pm I had trouble sleeping and these strange dreams not nightmares just enough to give ya scare....
I would be interested to hear some of the stories that you've heard about mixing this and pot because a good friend of mine takes this and smokes everyday maybe I could warn him...

Also just to add I haven't really had any other bad side effects...good side effect is the appetite supression !!
28% of the people actually lose weight on this !!

Nijushiho
Thu, Jun-05-03, 07:48
Well, yesterday was one week. I actually started to double up on like Tuesday (I'm impatient.... haha). I've definately noticed that I cant sleep solid through the night, hopefully thats only temporary.

As for the depression, I'm not sure what the verdict is on that. Right now I feel fine, but then again, I just woke up and havent had to deal with anyone/anything yet.

And on the topic of pot, I've smoked up twice since I've been on it, with no ill effects. Its really hard saying no, when all of your friends have come to know you through that drug. Though I dont really have anything against it, I just felt I needed to slow down on the THC.

But so far so good, I'll keep you all updated.

queenbeear
Fri, Jun-06-03, 20:14
:daizy: Hello Nijushiho, Just a reminder that the weed is a depressant, so is actually counteracting what is hoped to be accomplished with the Wellbutrin. Yes, it might temporarily help with the anxiety, but hopefully that will soon be resolved with the antidepressant. Also, the Wellbutrin can cause some insomnia, so if it continues you might want to see if its ok to take the total 300 mg all at one time in the am, or take 150mg in the am and the other 150 mg around lunch time. This often helps decrease the insomnia. Good luck. Queen Bee

Nijushiho
Fri, Jun-06-03, 21:59
Yeah, I'm well aware of what pot does to ya. I do my reading, know more about any drug than 99.85% of the drug users out there.

But as it stands, once or twice a week is an excellent improvement from smoking a gram or two a day (over the course of the full day).

I dont know if I can stop altogether, as most of my friends are pot smokers. Thats how I got to know them, add the fact that I'm a quiet guy and then you have me sitting there watching a bunch of people get high. Whereas, if I partake I become more relaxed and talk to people more. Not saying its the best solution, but its pretty much the only one that works.

queenbeear
Sat, Jun-07-03, 03:30
:daizy: You are right. That is definitely a great improvement in how much you have cut down smoking. I wasn't trying to be critical, cause I have done my share of smoking weed growing up. Just want you to feel as well as possible. Wellbutrin in excellent medication, and hopefully you will be feeling less depressed and anxious soon. Keep us posted!

SweeTex
Tue, Jun-17-03, 13:40
I recently went to the Doc. for an annual check up and she prescribed WelB. to me I have not taken any of it yet, she gave me like 2 months supply for a sample because I dont take anything not even an aspirin. I just dont like putting a bunch of pills in me.And she wanted to give me some thinking if it was free I would take.
What does it do to you and how long does someone stay on it?

Anyway
I quit smokin about 9 years ago and every now and then I get a whif of someone smoking and it reminds me of then. I know a person can quit , because I did.

Although i have delt with depression on my own without any aids and I gained lots and lotsa weight.

I have been lowcarbing for a litttle bit and have found that after the initial feeling of sluggard I have got a lot of energy and am feeling a lot better about life.
I think it is great you have cut back so much on the smoke , and I know you are a step ahead of the burn.
You are doin just fine and I hope you keep up the good work.
I used to toke as a teen but I have not had any in about 12 years so I know you can do it.Just take things as they come and eventually you will meet someone who will appreciate your quiet nature.
later

oregano
Fri, Jun-20-03, 17:41
How is it going for you now?

I started WB SR a while ago but had to stop due to insomnia, irritability, and just general crazy feelings. It really made me feel awful. I hope you have a better experience with it!

scootersno
Tue, Jun-24-03, 14:11
i am taking 400mg of wellbutrin a day as well as 40mg of celexa. it doesn't appear to have effected my weight loss. i also smoke quite frequently and it really hasn't added to my depression despite it being a depressant. it messes with my energy level at times however, but i guess that's part of it.

iamfuscia
Thu, Jul-03-03, 20:13
i am taking 400mg of wellbutrin a day as well as 40mg of celexa. it doesn't appear to have effected my weight loss. i also smoke quite frequently and it really hasn't added to my depression despite it being a depressant. it messes with my energy level at times however, but i guess that's part of it.

do you still get the munchies, even on a low carb diet?

scootersno
Mon, Jul-07-03, 16:46
this was something i was really worried about when starting the diet because i get munchies pretty bad. however, they have really subsided since i started the diet. i don't feel the need to eat when smoking anymore. and if i do, i just eat pork rinds or make atkins shakes with atkins chocolate sauce, club soda, and cream.

Doitnow
Wed, Jul-09-03, 19:34
I have been on Wellbutrin for several years. I have been on some kind of antedepressant for most of adult life. Wellbutrin has been the most effective.

HOWEVER, I am presently on no psychotropic medications (shrink meds), haven't been on any for several months. I just wanted to see what life was like w/o meds after years of meds. I am convinced my low carb WOE has made this time without medication possible. Remember, I was not doing low carb all those years. I am convinced my messed up metabolism messed up all kinds of stuff.

I still see my psychiatirst once a month to do a 'med' check but these days we are just checking in to see how I am doing without the meds.

Meds are an individual decision. I will return to them any time I feel depression coming on.

I don't want anyone to read this and think they shouldn't be on Wellb or any other antedepressant just because being off antedeprssant is working for me NOW. This is very individual territory.