PDA

View Full Version : Lexapro & Zyprexa

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Olivia1475
Sat, May-24-03, 10:45
I was wondering if anyone is taking either of these meds ? I take 20 mg of Lexapro in the am and 2.5mg of Zyprexa just before bed.

What side effects have people noticed ? The Zyprexa encouraged me to overeat and also made weight loss harder. I also have a lower sex drive. My doctor suggested the Sugar Busters and the side effects have decreased dramatically.

I have Bipolar Disorder and this what I've been taking for about 6 months. So far, it's wokring. I needed to adjust the dosage a bit, but after that I feel 100% better.

I've been Sugar Bustin' for about 2 weeks and my fiance has noticed a big change. I still have low days, but not as low. And of course I feel great when the scale shows another drop. :D

I really think that sugar and the wrong carbs have adversed effects on our moods. I'm so glad to have found this way of eating. I think it's also easier than other plans I've been on. (WW twice)

Happy low carbin' :wave:
Sarah

jaykay
Sat, May-24-03, 11:54
Hi, can't help with the meds, but welcome to lowcarbing and I hope it continues to go well with you. I've found low carbing significantly reduces my mood swings - DH agrees!
All the best, Jay

Dodo
Mon, May-26-03, 16:12
Wow my first post!

I have been lurking for a long time, but never posted, because I am not low carbing, I am just trying to watch my sugar intake and to eat wheat instead of the white stuff.

Hello Sarah,

Regarding Zyprexa; I lived the last 3 and a half years in Connecticut and moved back to Germany in January (I am German). I have OCD. My doctor in the states took me off Paxil and I started taking Luvox. That didn’t change my weight or my appetite. In September 2001 I started to work out and to follow a more balanced and healthy diet (I am a sugar addict and a chocoholic!). I got from 162 pounds down to 132 pounds in February 2002 (I am about 5.3 or 5.4 feet). Then I went on my honeymoon, ate what I wanted, and got back to 142 pounds.

After my honeymoon my doctor prescribed me Zyprexa, because she thought it might help to reduce my anxiety. I started with 2.5 mg, but got up to 10 mg a day! But even with the 10 mg I didn’t experience any improvement in my anxiety. But what I experienced was a huge weight gain and increase in appetite. I was always hungry, never felt full and could eat all day long. In 3 months, my weight skyrocketed back to 165 pounds. My doctor tried a medication to decrease my appetite. She called it a trick. She gave me a medication, which originally is for epilepsy, but should help in my case. But it didn’t help, and honestly, I wouldn’t take it again, it’s strange to take medication for a illness you don’t have, especially if it is something serious such as epilepsy.

Finally, I decided to stop taking Zyprexa in September 2002. My appetite got back to normal and I could feel full again. Without changing much else I lost weight again. I am now at 152 pounds, but hoping to lose some more.

So what’s my advice for you? That’s hard to say. If you experience improvements and you can handle the side effects, why not take it. But Zyprexa wasn’t something for me.

Best of luck, if you have any more questions just let me know,

Daniela

P.S. Sorry for my grammar!

Larix
Tue, May-27-03, 01:14
I also have bipolar disorder and have found that zyprexa promotes weight gain at higher doses....but 2.5 did not. I'm finding that this WOL has made an incredible difference in my moods....I've gone from constantly going up and down to being pretty stable.

Also, since I've lose about 25 lbs from my heaviest weight (not reflected in profile) I've started to have side effects from my meds again...maybe since I'm smaller they're building up to higher concentrations in my system? I'll have to call my doc.

I know a few people on zyprexa or similar meds who take high doses and have lost a lot of weight on Atkins or similar programs. It seems to counteract the blood sugar problems associated with these meds.

Good luck!

Alleine
Sat, Jun-07-03, 00:00
Two years ago I was so incredibly depressed and full of anxiety that I couldn't sleep more than 2-3 hours a night for months. I wound up psychotic from lack of sleep and depression. Zyprexa before bed saved my life. I will never forget that nightmare. I tried precription sleeping pills, wellbutrin etc before that - none worked.

I stopped taking it after 6 months and have been ok ever since. Thank god for the doctor that prescribed it. The next doctor I had (changed insurance) told me that my doctor was wrong for prescribing it. I wish I could get my old doctor back.

Jessi0622
Tue, Jun-17-03, 07:30
I started taking Lexapro just about the same time I started LC'ing ( actually, I made quite a few changes all about the same time ) and I have to say that I have felt WONDERFUL ever since I started taking Lexapro. I've taken several different medications for depression/anxiety before, this is by far the most success I have had with any of them. And I think it has really helped my weight loss, I'm one of those depressed eaters so it has helped there, but it also gives me the motivation to get up, get out and get movin' so I'm not just veggin' at home all the time. But I love it!
Jessica