PDA

View Full Version : antibacterial soap

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

sandy bush
Fri, May-23-03, 15:20
There is a short paragraph in First magazine's April issue that states if you use antibacterial soap with triclosan in it, it may suppress the thyroid. With the overabundance of antibacterial soap around, if this is true, it may help some to avoid it.

If someone has already posted this, I apologize :)

stephiewil
Mon, May-26-03, 13:23
I am so glad to read this. I am suspecting a hypothryroid problem and hand wash all my dishes in a dish soap with that ingrediant in it.Thanks for sharing this information. Stephie :D

melindalou
Fri, Aug-01-03, 08:47
I read at one time at vitiligosupport.com that triclosan may be the cause of some vitiligo (autoimmune) which I have. Now I have Hashimoto's...?? Some toothpaste products have triclosan..eeks!

Wonder if it's true.

Cicely
Mon, Aug-04-03, 07:55
Thanks for the headsup. I only use antibac on my dishes since it's not really good for people to use it long term all the time anyway, but maybe I should just go to regular soap all around. Hmmmm.

sandy bush
Fri, Feb-06-04, 11:43
I have also heard recently on the news or somewhere, that flouride in drinking water can also affect thyroid function.

Originally, I posted the information about the triclosan just for informational purposes. However, after reading some articles on this site, I went through a checklist of symptoms for hypothyroidism and found that I had almost all of them. Anyway, I had my doctor test me on Monday and he said it will probably be Monday before I get the results. He seemed to only want to do the testing to make me be quiet. I am kind of concerned about what he will say if it is not high enough--probably just blow me off. (I went to him about 15 years ago and he told me I needed to get rid of some weight. When he asked me how I ate during the day, I told him, and he said, "You need to change the way you eat." So, anyway, he was not very helpful.)

I always thought it was just me and I just needed to be stronger, because a lot of the symptoms are very vague, but I see that maybe there is light at the end of the tunnel and maybe I can get the help I now see that I need.

Also, I have been reading here and there about certain things not to eat and supplements to stay away from, including certain veggies, and if someone can give me a simple list, I would greatly appreciate it.

Anyhow, thank you in advance, and I appreciate all the helpfulness you have all shown.

Sandy