PDA

View Full Version : eating disorders

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

rebsee
Thu, May-22-03, 05:43
Does anyone here ever wonder if they've got an eating disorder? I feel like I'm getting one. I obsess over food and my weight more and more each day. I eat in secret. I want cookies and mashed potatos all the time. I hate being like this :( I'd rather not have to eat at all than to feel like this. I'm in floods of tears as I write this. I'm so unhappy.

saramun
Thu, May-22-03, 09:11
Hi Rebsee,

I'm not a doctor, but what you are describing sounds to me like compulsive eating. I don't know if compulsive eating is officially considered an eating disorder, but there are numerous self-help books on the subject.

I am a compulsive eater, and I go to a support group for compulsive eaters. We consider it an eating disorder!

Unfortunately, compulsive eating is usually not something that will go away by dieting. It is a separate condition, and must be treated separately. Geneen Roth's book, "Breaking Free of Compulsive Eating," really changed my life.

I detail my struggles with compulsive eating in my journal, and you are always welcome to drop in or ask questions. I don't have any of my weird compulsive eating stories from the past in there yet (I didn't want to scare anyone), but I don't mind sharing them if anyone is curious.

Karen
Fri, May-23-03, 00:13
I'm a compulsive overeater too, and while low-carbing has changed my life for the better and halted the addiction I had to carbs, I still have to do emotional and spiritual work to assist me in my day to day affairs. It does help me to eat cleanly with no fake foods because that just starts the vicious cycle of overeating. But, I still gratefully do the rest of the "healing" work. It keeps me sane.

Karen

katgurl
Sat, May-24-03, 14:38
I do the same.

Yount30
Tue, May-27-03, 12:45
I would like to know what others use for healing their compulsive overeating. I know this LC plan is the way to go, but keep sabotaging myself.

I read Laura Richard's "Secrets to Low Carb Success" and she suggested "Thin for Good" and "Carbohydrate Addict's Diet" book, but I'm hoping to find books that deal with this specifically. I tried Geneen Roth's approach years ago, I need to see if it would help with this eating plan....ideas most welcome.

Sheila