PDA

View Full Version : New to PP

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

mom2jared
Fri, May-09-03, 13:03
Hi! I just purchased the PP book today and looking forward to reading the book tonight. I was on Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution but I am finding myself hungry a lot and I feel it is not doing much for me other than lowering my blood sugars.

Could someone please tell me more about this program and whether it is a benefit to a type two diabetic like myself.

Thanks!

Ilana

richard2
Fri, May-30-03, 06:35
:wave: Hello Mom2Jared

I have the reverse situation, a couple of years ago I read PP and have tried to stick to that WOL as much as possible (I've back slided a bit). Currently, I was diagnosed with Type II diabetes and am about 1/2 was through Dr. Bernstein's book. Mentally, I guess I'm trying to combine the misc. things I remember from PP and combine them with what I've read so far in Dr. B's book. I may be confusing the issue somewhat.

I basically remember that with PP I needed to stick to around 10 carbs per meal, not to exceed 30 per day. I think I'll have to adjust the per meal count by the time I finish Dr. B's book. We'll see.

Do you know what PP says about pizza? Last night we went to PH and I ate a salad with 2 slices of pizza (minus the bread part) I expected my blood glucose counts to be fairly good this morning but they exceeded 250. What did I do wrong?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

tofi
Fri, May-30-03, 07:02
Hello mom2jared. For a diabetic of either type, isn't the main aim to control the sugars? I'd think that was the MOST important effect of low carbing. From your stats, you are pretty close to your goal in pounds. All the plans tell you that the last 10 pounds are going to be lost slowly and that they probably SHOULD be lost slowly. This allows you to learn to eat according to your plan. For Schwarzbein & perhaps Bernstein, weight loss is secondary to sugar control.

What does Dr. B say about hunger or how much you can eat? Sometimes a rereading of the book can reveal answers to our questions. Or perhaps you could post this question over in the Diabetes Forum and get information from others who are dealing with the problem.

If you aren't yet happy with your shape, look into exercise that might tighten up skin and muscles. When you do LC, you might weigh a bit more than you hoped for, but actually BE smaller as LC gets rid of fat and leaves heavier but leaner, sleek muscle.

Richard2 I wonder if the toppings on the pizza had hidden or unsuspected sugars in them? Perhaps the pepperoni. Or the commercial salad dressings could be the culprit, especially if they were "low fat" which almost always means "high sugar" (Well they have to use something to give it flavour when they take all the good fats out. :p ) Tomato sauce is suspect because tomatoes are berries although we use them as vegetables, and commercial sauces might have sugar added.

How about going over to the Diabetes forum and asking about this? More people over there may have experience AND you might even find the answer already posted in a thread. You could search (use the icon above) for pizza AND sugars.

Charran
Fri, May-30-03, 09:49
Ilana...I think that any low-carb eating plan is going to be good for blood sugars. The trick is I think finding the level that works best for you. It is a very individual thing. Some of the plans have higher carb counts that you are allowed per meal, but if it raises your blood sugar too much, then that wouldn't be good for you.

Richard...I suspect that tofi is right, but there are so many things that can cause blood sugars to be higher in the morning. I know from experience that things like being over-tired, having a headache, being stressed, can all cause a rise in blood sugar. Sometimes there is no rhyme or reason. I've eaten pizza with the crust and everything at night and in the morning, my sugars have been fine and I've gone the other way and had them high. It could be just a freak thing that happened, or that "dawn phenonemon" kicking in full blast. But do check hidden sugars in sauces and dressings. They can be notoriously full of sugar!