PDA

View Full Version : Healthy snacks for babies

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

dallasalis
Sun, May-04-03, 04:54
After being on Atkins, I've noticed that I'm giving my 15 month old twins too much junkie carb snacks. I've been giving them graham crackers, cookies, granola bars, etc. I'd like to substitute some healthy snacks. Choking is still a concern so I can't give them hard veggies such as carrots. I'd love to raise my babies without tons of sugar and white flour. Any suggestions?
Dallasalis

ItBeMeUSee
Sun, May-04-03, 06:22
The doctor use to tell me to give my kids snacks like canned carrots to snack on when they were small. They are soft so you don't have to worry about chocking.

dallasalis
Mon, May-05-03, 04:08
Thanks for the advice. Canned carrots, green beans, and corn are staples at our house. I also have never steamed so many veggies in my life. I just don't want these babies falling into the junk food trap so early. It's disgusting to see what most parents give little ones. Dallasalis

LadyBelle
Sun, Jun-01-03, 13:56
My 4 month old just had her pureed carrots with tofu mixed in. For my older son I have started cutting his sugar and flour. I don't deny him because that would just make him want it more and sneak it. He's 3 1/2 btw, so your little one may not be able to eat all of these.

Peanut butter spread on a piece of colby jack cheese and folded in half like a samwich.

Fresh fruit is always good, and I wouldn't worry about it's carb content with children.

My son enjoys scrambled eggs

Whole milk yogurt with fruit

String cheese is a huge hit.

I also make low carb treats for myself and the family. If he wants cookies, maybe he'll settle for a low carb one and never know he's not getting the full sugar. Also cooking with soy flour, ground flax seeds, and splenda can make treats much healthier.

atiaran
Tue, Jun-03-03, 16:28
My sister gives her 15 month old little cubes of sf jello to slurp on.